Just had new BT phone & BB Installed

KojackKojack Posts: 1,178
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi people

We just changed our phone & broadband from Virgin to BT (obvious mistake) last Friday, we didn't try the phone until the later that day or the next day, the phone line was fine before BT got there hands on it now but crackles really badly ever since.
They are telling me that if there is anything wrong with the actual line at our house it will cost us £129 to fix it, even though there was nothing wrong before they touched it.
They ran a new line through the virgin connection box out the front.

Is there anything I can do this is appalling as they are at fault for the bad line not me, if I decided to cancel this service will I lose my connection fees.

Many thanks for any advise or help.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The charge is for faults that are caused by your kit. It is not for faults on the Openreach network. This charge has always been applied if a fault is found on customer equipment but it seems the telecoms companies are more open about letting you know about it. You should not be charged for a network fault unless the fault was caused by you meddling with the line.

If you have an NTE5 type master socket with the two part front panel unscrew the lower half and pull it off. This reveals the test socket. Plug a known working phone into that and listen for any noise.

The test socket is directly connected to the line and removing the front plate isolates any extensions you may have. Therefore any noises you hear on the test socket are more likely to be caused by a line fault than by anything in your house.
  • KojackKojack Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The charge is for faults that are caused by your kit. It is not for faults on the Openreach network. This charge has always been applied if a fault is found on customer equipment but it seems the telecoms companies are more open about letting you know about it. You should not be charged for a network fault unless the fault was caused by you meddling with the line.

If you have an NTE5 type master socket with the two part front panel unscrew the lower half and pull it off. This reveals the test socket. Plug a known working phone into that and listen for any noise.

The test socket is directly connected to the line and removing the front plate isolates any extensions you may have. Therefore any noises you hear on the test socket are more likely to be caused by a line fault than by anything in your house.

Hi m8 yep we did that with the BT person on the test socket and the line was still very crackly. The engineer Installed a new line out side our house and ran it through the Virgin box at the front of my house, my concern is the Virgin box cover is badly damaged which it has been for months well before been connected to BT and they may use that as an excuse to charge me, can I ask for the same engineer to come out as he would recall the install and would know the virgin box was already damaged.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is bad at the test socket then it's clearly not your problem as far as I can tell, and you shouldn't worry about being charged

If the Openreach technician has done anything dodgy (like using Virgin's wiring) then that would definitely be grounds for a free fix. I've heard of Virgin installers commandeering BT cabling because it's easier, now I've heard the opposite. They're meant to use their own wiring.

If you aren't getting anywhere with normal customer services I'd suggest that you email the CEO of BT (look up his name, then email firstname.lastname@bt.com). He probably won't reply, but someone in his complaints team will, and they really can sort these problems out
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    If it is bad at the test socket then it's clearly not your problem as far as I can tell, and you shouldn't worry about being charged

If the Openreach technician has done anything dodgy (like using Virgin's wiring) then that would definitely be grounds for a free fix. I've heard of Virgin installers commandeering BT cabling because it's easier, now I've heard the opposite. They're meant to use their own wiring.

If you aren't getting anywhere with normal customer services I'd suggest that you email the CEO of BT (look up his name, then email firstname.lastname@bt.com). He probably won't reply, but someone in his complaints team will, and they really can sort these problems out

Look up the E - Mail address on www.ceoemail.com
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other posters are correct, as long as the fault is upstream of the linebox and you haven't damaged or interfered with anything you don't have to worry what's causing it, it's BT's problem. Just make sure that you've tried using a known good phone in the test socket that's revealed when you remove the lower half of the linebox.

The best way to check the line is to dial 17070 and select Option 2 for the Quiet Line Test.

Not being funny, but I trust you're using a good microfilter in series with the phone? To be on the safe side, I'd make sure that you've checked using at least a couple of known good corded phones and a couple of microfilters.

If all four combinations result in a crackly line, then just call BT out and refuse to pay any charge. No need to e-mail the CEO etc unless they try to charge you unjustifiably.
  • KojackKojack Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys well I'm using near new BT cordless phones and like I said there was no crackling before the BT installer came out and he has joined the wires up into the virgin box on the front of the house. I'll try the 17070 number as well.
    The micro filter is brand new came with the BT broadband and I even tried an older shy microfilter both had the crackling.

I'll give them a call this time instead of doing the online text crap, the only person must have got sick of me because they just cut me off and stopped the conversation :o
    They kept on typing that they wouldn't send anyone out unless I agreed to pay any charges if it's my fault and I just kept on saying I won't pay anything when there was nothing wrong with the line before BT touched it, also why didn't the engineer test the phone line or connection quality.

Cheers
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having to agree to charges is fairly standard - but if it's not your fault then you won't be charged (and if they try, you can raise hell to get it reversed).

If you still have the problem at the test socket and you've tried a new filter (and a phone, if possible) then that's all you can do. All of the wiring up to the master socket is BT's responsibility and they will have to do whatever is necessary to fix it at no charge to you.

I really would recommend emailing the CEO if you don't get anywhere. His complaints team are very good.

Out of interest, was the BT installer an actual Openreach employee (Openreach clothing, Openreach branded van, etc) or one of the many contractors that they use these days?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kojack wrote: »
    Thanks guys well I'm using near new BT cordless phones and like I said there was no crackling before the BT installer came out and he has joined the wires up into the virgin box on the front of the house. I'll try the 17070 number as well.
    The micro filter is brand new came with the BT broadband and I even tried an older shy microfilter both had the crackling.

I'll give them a call this time instead of doing the online text crap, the only person must have got sick of me because they just cut me off and stopped the conversation :o
    They kept on typing that they wouldn't send anyone out unless I agreed to pay any charges if it's my fault and I just kept on saying I won't pay anything when there was nothing wrong with the line before BT touched it, also why didn't the engineer test the phone line or connection quality.

Cheers

If you can, try a corded phone. That way BT can't try and wriggle out by saying it's the radio link between phone base station and hand set.

As said above it is pretty standard policy to warn the customer that they will be charged if the fault is being caused by the customer kit and get you to agree to being charged if that is the case. But that does not mean you WILL be charged. And from what you have described so far it does sound like it is a combination line fault and a bit of dodgy practice by the installer.

Was it actually Openreach who did the install? They have been known to use sub-contractors, some of whom are, shall we say, almost cowboys and don't do a very good job. You should have had the line run into the house and even a brand new socket installed. Totally separate from any Virgin kit.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Was it actually Openreach who did the install? They have been known to use sub-contractors, some of whom are, shall we say, almost cowboys and don't do a very good job..
    Was it Kelly by any chance? :o