Ipod output socket - is it a standard size?

I have a 160G Ipod classic. When I try to connect to my hifi amp with a stereo mini-jack to 2xphono cable, I only get sound from one speaker (tried a few cables, they can't all be faulty). Also the cheap FM transmitter I use in the car seems to be only giving me mono output (I don't mean just one channel, I mean both channels but mono sound only).

It's perfect stereo through headphones and when used in a docking unit. So my question is - is the headphone jack slightly non-standard size? Is this something to force people to buy certain manufacturer's cables? :confused:

Comments

• Steve PearceSteve Pearce Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All iPods have standard 3.5mm jack sockets.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It uses a standard 3.5mm plug, but I have found my chunkier cables don't fit in properly though. :s The cheaper ones with thinner cables are fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its standard size, i used to connect my ipod through my stereo and it came out fine, both channels. I now use it with my bass amp cd in ports and it works fine...

Dont know why yours isnt working properly...

Can you try something different (other mp3/portable cd player)? It may be something to do with your hifi...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    It uses a standard 3.5mm plug, but I have found my chunkier cables don't fit in properly though. :s The cheaper ones with thinner cables are fine.

Yeah...its because of the slight curve it has in the back.
  • 19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came on here to ask the same,

can someone explain it to me in even simple terms please,

ie got a lead that fits the headphone socket in ipod and the phones socket on the mini hi fi.....