This is England 86 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    Helenaka wrote: »
    Bugger, someone rang me at 10:59, last thing I saw was Lol's dad raping Trev and Combo on the floor, did any thing else happen?

No not really the rape finished and he told her to get lost and just a montage between that, combo and Lol in the toilet.
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, that rape scene was horrific. I really really hope Combo smashes the dad's skull in.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope there will be another series. I am loving this show.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    That was one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on TV. Absolutely horrific. I was literally in tears.
  • king_walnutking_walnut Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a feeling that's how it will end.
    Forum Member
    Christ, that rape scene was horrific. I really really hope Combo smashes the dad's skull in.

Indeed it was everything a real rape scene should be: Control, seedy and just using the female for the male's needs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Wow, that was superb drama.I watched the last 5 minutes of it hugging a cushion and feeling a bit sick to my stomach.Amazing.
  • masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    This should be longer. Best british drama on tv and beautiful to look at at. Great music too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,699
    Forum Member
    The ending was horrific :( but sadly that's life
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Cor, they talk about games of two halves, but they've got nothing on tonight's show!

The first half was pretty shocking (imo), with the whole Trudy/Gadget storyline being a load of inane filler- but that last bit with Lol's dad was just...incredible and horrendous at the same time.

It felt so real and incredibly acted and directed. God I hope Combo tortures the b*stard
    Forum Member
    So will Combo beating up the dad, redeem him for what he did in the film? (If that is what happens) a sort of counter-point.
  • LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference in quality from the first two episodes (which I enjoyed)was quite apparent. Shame Shane couldnt have directed all 4.

The last few minutes were very harrowing poor Trev.
    I dont know about Combo becomming the hero and smashing Lol's dads head in. That would be too simple and clichae which are things I dont ever associate with Shane Meadows. More likley to be the other way around or a less obvious charachter does the deed

Woody was more reminicent of the Woody I loved when I watched the film, the scene between him and Milky disscusing Lol was beautifuly done and rang true. After that I couldnt bare seeing Lol being an arse to him (i know she has her reasons) were as in the earlier episodes I was more understanding becuase he was just acting like such an eejit and un Woody like.

On a brighter note some brilliant comic moments

"Im here for the Ginge":D
    love Flip and Ziggy.

Also loved Harveys one man intervention for Gadge very sweet.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me where Combo fits into the group (having not seen the film)? Any way related to Trev?
  • fredthespiderfredthespider Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, so disturbing tonight but it's been brilliant piece of drama so far - I think the best I have seen in a long time. Like the film, I have started off just really enjoying it and the characters and then feeling really uncomfortable and saddened by how fragmeneted and damaged everything becomes as the story unfolds. It's unusual for me to actually care about the characters on a tv show but I really do. Looking forward to next week but strangely dreading it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not really the rape finished and he told her to get lost and just a montage between that, combo and Lol in the toilet.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your summary. :)
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    malaikah wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where Combo fits into the group (having not seen the film)? Any way related to Trev?

From what I remember, he was a mate of Woody's who took a prison sentence for Woody.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

There's a plot summary on the This Is England wikipedia page which should give you a good idea. :)
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helenaka wrote: »
    I spent 1986-89 in Sheffield, so it will always have a special place in my heart. I'm also playing spot the place as well. :)

Didn't see what was down the front of his trackies, but he reminded me of the meat head casuals who hung about at that time.

LMAO at Gadget trying to make a swift exit. :cool:

Thing is Park Hill probably looks same in 86 as it does now,all run down and boarded up. ;)
  • king_walnutking_walnut Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Combo bought the group into racist activity. Raiding sandhu's shop and threatening pakistani kids on the estate. He became Shaun's father figure and shaun subsequently became a racist.

Then at the end, combo kicked the holy **** out of Milky. And we all thought he was dead. Shaun realised that racist skinhead activity is not good and the film ended with him casting the St George's flag into the sea.

Sorry, I suck at explanations. You really should watch the film.
  • LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Desperately waiting for this to come up on 4OD!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keelboots wrote: »
    Thing is Park Hill probably looks same in 86 as it does now,all run down and boarded up. ;)

I remember Park Hill Flats. I also remember Hyde Park flats and wasn't there also Kelvin Flats as well?

I also used to get them mixed up. :o

Which were the ones that were just up the hill behind the train station?

I was gutted when I heard that the Hole in the Road has gone.

I think a lot of the Sheffield I once knew, including clubs and pubs on West Street has now sadly gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Park Hill are the ones you can see from the train station, Kelvin Flats have been knocked down now
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Much better this week and although the drama and comedy still don't mesh (and the scooter casuals belong in a sitcom, or Grange Hill) it was better balanced in favour of drama, although a bit of Lol standing around smoking and looking moody goes a long way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hairdryers.... Off!" :D