Options

is the hype starting to fade for One Direction?

Comments

• Options
    SavyannahSavyannah Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    The hype won't fade untill they stop singing your typical boybland crap songs with the 100 year old cheddar lines like "lining up the freckles as dots on your face" bleurgh and other tosh like that, unless they do another generic song about partying and living that will be less successful again.
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this comment on other forum:

Germany:
    28 (2) Take Me Home 2 weeks (No. 2 for 1 week)

Huge drops around the world :eek: Black Friday week and the album drops by almost 70% :eek:

So basically huge 1st week sales and then huge drop - can't say I'm surprised.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought they were completely talentless (apart from Liam who has a nice voice but showed no personality) but at the start they seemed like nice lads, completely aware of their limitations and loving and appreciating every second of their success.

Recently they seem to be believing the hype and a couple of the egos are getting a bit out of control. Also, they are totally over-styled. They look like over-quiffed 80s throwback dolls now with the big hair, rather than accessible boys next door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought they were completely talentless (apart from Liam who has a nice voice but showed no personality) but at the start they seemed like nice lads, completely aware of their limitations and loving and appreciating every second of their success.

Recently they seem to be believing the hype and a couple of the egos are getting a bit out of control.

I really think that the fame inflated their egos - which is not excuse in my book though. You don't have to become a douche just because you are famous. All that stories of Harry's sex life, fighting with The Wanted, not to mention the recent twitter talk with Piers and The Wanted was truly stupid and it actually made me dislike them.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »

Germany:

Huge drops around the world :eek: Black Friday week and the album drops by almost 70% :eek:

That's not what I am hearing. Buzzjack has them still doing well in the largest markets of UK and USA

Album number 3 in UK behind two new ones so not a huge drop at all and same with USA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think that the fame inflated their egos - which is not excuse in my book though. You don't have to become a douche just because you are famous. All that stories of Harry's sex life, fighting with The Wanted, not to mention the recent twitter talk with Piers and The Wanted was truly stupid and it actually made me dislike them.

You do realise all the media stories about Harry are probably an 8th true. He has no control over what they print and the spat with the Wanted has been building up for months with the Wanted rubbishing them for ages. I was disappointed though and wish they had kept the moral high ground and continued to ignore it but maybe it was all too much and they snapped although it was only one of them(Zayn with Louis chipping in) and not the whole band.

The Piers Morgan spat was all tongue in cheek. Piers and Simon are best buddies . Piers wants them on his show and anyone with SOH could see it was banter. Although the Ben Winston and Piers Morgon was quite messy and very serious! Of course the media didn't report on that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    You do realise all the media stories about Harry are probably an 8th true. He has no control over what they print and the spat with the Wanted has been building up for months with the Wanted rubbishing them for ages. I was disappointed though and wish they had kept the moral high ground and continued to ignore it but maybe it was all too much and they snapped although it was only one of them(Zayn with Louis chipping in) and not the whole band.

The Piers Morgan spat was all tongue in cheek. Piers and Simon are best buddies . Piers wants them on his show and anyone with SOH could see it was banter. Although the Ben Winston and Piers Morgon was quite messy and very serious! Of course the media didn't report on that

Of course that the media writes stuff about them, but regardless, it must be some truth in it - he did indeed dated Caroline who is a lot older than him, so all that other "news" can't be completely false . I think they are too early in the game to get these kind of "scandals" in the press. And I know they are fighting The Wanted for a while, but be a bigger man - don't stoop to their level. And being pissed off or not, Zayn was waaay out of line calling the other guy "Chlamydia boy" - so it is not that crazy when I feel their personalities aren't so adorable as 1D fans claim they are.

And I am aware that the Piers thing was mostly a joke, but tweeting to Simon and actually retweeting "Margan is smelly" is so immature and just stupid.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who believes that the Wanted bust up is real must believe that the moon is made of cheese.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why would anybody made this up... I mean, it is not doing any good to either of these bands because the fans are nasty toward each other. Besides, this has been going on for a long time, why would anyone go through so much trouble to create such feud? I don't think it is fake because I don't see the point of it. But if it is - then it is a stupid move.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Savyannah wrote: »
    The hype won't fade untill they stop singing your typical boybland crap songs with the 100 year old cheddar lines like "lining up the freckles as dots on your face" bleurgh and other tosh like that, unless they do another generic song about partying and living that will be less successful again.

If you're going to quote lyrics from a song a least do it right!...+ for the record you're insulting Ed Sheeran not One Direction as he wrrote the song
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why would anybody made this up... I mean, it is not doing any good to either of these bands because the fans are nasty toward each other. Besides, this has been going on for a long time, why would anyone go through so much trouble to create such feud? I don't think it is fake because I don't see the point of it. But if it is - then it is a stupid move.

It's a publicity stunt pure and simple. Both bands get in the papers. Fans discuss it. Fans go out and buy the records! Job done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course that the media writes stuff about them, but regardless, it must be some truth in it - he did indeed dated Caroline who is a lot older than him, so all that other "news" can't be completely false . I think they are too early in the game to get these kind of "scandals" in the press. And I know they are fighting The Wanted for a while, but be a bigger man - don't stoop to their level. And being pissed off or not, Zayn was waaay out of line calling the other guy "Chlamydia boy" - so it is not that crazy when I feel their personalities aren't so adorable as 1D fans claim they are.

And I am aware that the Piers thing was mostly a joke, but tweeting to Simon and actually retweeting "Margan is smelly" is so immature and just stupid.

I actually agree with you on that one but it was so out of character for Zayn who hardly ever tweets except to say something deep and meaningful.

Actually for someone who dislikes 1D you sure read a lot about them and don't tell me you can't avoid it because you can ;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    It's a publicity stunt pure and simple. Both bands get in the papers. Fans discuss it. Fans go out and buy the records! Job done!

Maybe you are right, but you can't be sure...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually agree with you on that one but it was so out of character for Zayn who hardly ever tweets except to say something deep and meaningful.

Actually for someone who dislikes 1D you sure read a lot about them and don't tell me you can't avoid it because you can ;):p

I mostly see the headlines, but I actually did read about the feud after I saw the thing with Piers:) And to be honest, the media overexposure about them fascinates me as I studied journalism. It baffles and annoys me, but I read it because I'm interested to see how many pointless trivial stuff about 1D can journalists actually pass as news:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly see the headlines, but I actually did read about the feud after I saw the thing with Piers:) And to be honest, the media overexposure about them fascinates me as I studied journalism. It baffles and annoys me, but I read it because I'm interested to see how many pointless trivial stuff about 1D can journalists actually pass as news:D

But if you studied journalism you will know it is a business selling stories and you use the stories that sells the paper/mag and the most popular always becomes overexposed. It is a fact of life

Oh and re your comment about their album bombing all over the world in their 2nd week

Did you get this from here?

http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat#/news/rihanna-gets-first-no-1-album-phillip-phillips-1008029352.story

They are down to 3 with a 61% drop but that is just the percentages from what they sold last week so it is bound to drop. They are still number 3 in USA which is not what i would call a big drop. A big drop to me is when an album drops from number 1 to out of the top ten.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why can't get The Wanted be the bigger men then? I don't like using age as an excuse, but TW are supposed to be older and more mature shouldn't they keep their mouth shut too?

I don't know why you think a 67% drop is bad, it was expected and every artist has a drop in the second week. Plus they have healthy second week sales and are already doing better with this album then with the first one in the US and UK. You obviously don't have a clue how things in the US if you think their bombing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stally wrote: »
    Why can't get The Wanted be the bigger men then? I don't like using age as an excuse, but TW are supposed to be older and more mature shouldn't they keep their mouth shut too?

I don't know why you think a 67% drop is bad, it was expected and every artist has a drop in the second week. Plus they have healthy second week sales and are already doing better with this album then with the first one in the US and UK. You obviously don't have a clue how things in the US if you think their bombing.

Of course that being a bigger men applies to both bands, I clearly stated that in the other thread. I don't know who started the argument and I don't care. And you are right, the age definitely isn't an excuse - both these bands need to learn how to ignore the negative comments from others, this will happen all the time. You just have to suck it up and ignore it, not fight like bunch of 5 year olds

And I didn't say that the album was bombing and I don't think that - if you read my post again, then you will notice I just copy/paste the comment I read on some forum - those are not my words. And I think that person wasn't specifically talking about the US market either...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you studied journalism you will know it is a business selling stories and you use the stories that sells the paper/mag and the most popular always becomes overexposed. It is a fact of life

Oh and re your comment about their album bombing all over the world in their 2nd week

Did you get this from here?

http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat#/news/rihanna-gets-first-no-1-album-phillip-phillips-1008029352.story

They are down to 3 with a 61% drop but that is just the percentages from what they sold last week so it is bound to drop. They are still number 3 in USA which is not what i would call a big drop. A big drop to me is when an album drops from number 1 to out of the top ten.

Believe me, I know all too well how the journalism works... But, I guess I'm still an optimist - I still think journalists shouldn't make news out of what some artist says on Twitter or that, for example, 1D boys never bought each other Christmas gifts - everything isn't news-worthy. When you learn the basic rules of journalism writing, you see that not many of them go by them which is sad for me. Maybe I'm stupid, or maybe I'm just idealist:o

But I will stand by my belief that journalists definitely mustn't ever write misleading headlines, despite the fact that doing so, they could attract more readers. Just a silly example that I noticed today + it is 1D related:

The headline goes: Rob disses One Direction: He would rather join Westlife.

In the article you see that he didn't that at all. When he was asked which band he would join, Westlife or 1D, he merely said:

“Westlife, definitely.” He continued, “Westlife are one of my favorite bands. I actually don’t know any songs that One Direction have done. I’ve just seen pictures of them”.

If that's dissing 1D then I'm the Queen:rolleyes:

About the sales, I read on this thread actually:

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92626&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member

Germany:

Germany has always been their toughest market. I was astonished they managed a #2 at all. To present the huge second-week drop in Germany as representative is ridiculous. In most countries, TMH only dropped a few places.

And indeed: it's still at #2 in the world chart in its second week (http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm)

I'm sure most artists would love to have a "huge drop" like that :D
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe me, I know all too well how the journalism works... But, I guess I'm still an optimist - I still think journalists shouldn't make news out of what some artist says on Twitter or that, for example, 1D boys never bought each other Christmas gifts - everything isn't news-worthy. When you learn the basic rules of journalism writing, you see that not many of them go by them which is sad for me. Maybe I'm stupid, or maybe I'm just idealist:o

But I will stand by my belief that journalists definitely mustn't ever write misleading headlines, despite the fact that doing so, they could attract more readers. Just a silly example that I noticed today + it is 1D related:

The headline goes: Rob disses One Direction: He would rather join Westlife.

In the article you see that he didn't that at all. When he was asked which band he would join, Westlife or 1D, he merely said:

“Westlife, definitely.” He continued, “Westlife are one of my favorite bands. I actually don’t know any songs that One Direction have done. I’ve just seen pictures of them”.

If that's dissing 1D then I'm the Queen:rolleyes:

About the sales, I read on this thread actually:

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92626&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

http://hollywoodlife.com/2012/11/26/robert-pattinson-disses-one-direction-video/

one direction fans will be angry to rob...:D
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    One Direction's album should at least stay fairly consistent in most of the Western world because it'll be a popular Christmas present for people's daughters/nieces. I'm pretty sure that's a large part of the reason they released something now.

I think One Direction will definitely be around for a few more years at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »

Thank god that most of them are smart to see that this is not a diss. But that's my point - newspapers are deliberately creating lies just so they could get higher readership. Would it killed them if they just written "Rob loves Westlife"?

What annoys me the most is that they are so biased - this could clearly be seen in that "OMG Best Boyband of 2012" - they deliberately wrote that 1D are the best, while they wrote 3 words about Westlife who are actually leading the pool right now.

These are all silly examples of course, but journalists being biased, writing misleading titles can be seen every day in so called serious newspapers, not just showbiz magazines.

I'll shut up now:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank god that most of them are smart to see that this is not a diss. But that's my point - newspapers are deliberately creating lies just so they could get higher readership. Would it killed them if they just written "Rob loves Westlife"?

What annoys me the most is that they are so biased - this could clearly be seen in that "OMG Best Boyband of 2012" - they deliberately wrote that 1D are the best, while they wrote 3 words about Westlife who are actually leading the pool right now.

These are all silly examples of course, but journalists being biased, writing misleading titles can be seen every day in so called serious newspapers, not just showbiz magazines.

I'll shut up now:D

But surely your hatred should betowards the media and sloppy journalism than the band themselves and Ido agree with you that headline and article is very very sloppy!

But not much different from Express or Mail daily lead headlines. You would think every day is the end of the world then when you read the article:eek::eek: I guessit isn't going to change any time soon :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely your hatred should betowards the media and sloppy journalism than the band themselves and Ido agree with you that headline and article is very very sloppy!

But not much different from Express or Mail daily lead headlines. You would think every day is the end of the world then when you read the article:eek::eek: I guessit isn't going to change any time soon :mad:

Exactly, this is what drives me crazy. And of course my hatred is towards the media,

From the start I have been saying that I don't hate 1D, I hate the way media are almost always exaggerating and being bias when they talk about them, that's all - I thought I was clear about that - sorry if I wasn't:)

I mean, how ridiculous is this?!

http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-juice/one-direction-hit-new-york--is-that-a-the-wanted-peace-offering-niall-horan--152256687.html

The guy chose to wear this shirt and they make a story out of it:eek:

This makes me laugh and cry at the same time:mad:

I have a master of science in journalism, but I think I will not work as a journalist - my head will explode because the situation is even worse in Croatia:(