Options

Derby House fire

Comments

• Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    "Wake" is the more traditional term. "After party" (whatever she meant) does sound pretty distasteful.

A wake is held the night before the funeral, not after. Any gathering held after a funeral people would just wear what they wore to the funeral, and I've never heard it called an "after party".

I'm Irish, and this Mairaed creature is from an Irish background too, there's nothing in her cultural traditions which explains that tasteless comment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Wake" is the more traditional term. "After party" (whatever she meant) does sound pretty distasteful.

I thought it was called a wake but I thought a wake was held before a funeral.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philpott may have given the impression of being an ok father, but after seeing his behaviour after the death of his kids it seems they were just a commodity for him to get more benefits, and his wife, who is clearly not very bright was completely under his thumb and basically a breeding machine. Thankfully his other girlfriend had the sense to leave the home and take her kids with her.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

That is sick I did hear one friend last night say philpotts rang her and said get your suit Mairead and I are going to renew our vow the friend said but you have not buried the children yet. I do hope some one give the three of them what for :mad:
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philpott may have given the impression of being an ok father, but after seeing his behaviour after the death of his kids it seems they were just a commodity for him to get more benefits, and his wife, who is clearly not very bright was completely under his thumb and basically a breeding machine. Thankfully his other girlfriend had the sense to leave the home and take her kids with her.

I have to say in respect of the alleged neglect of the children, of course they would seem happy, children (pre teen) generally have happy dispositions, whatever circumstances they are in it is normal to them, they really do not know any different.

I lived many years ago on an estate where I witnessed appalling neglect, in my eyes, but the children were just children happy in whatever environment they lived in, and they loved their parents, it was all they knew. So to others what seems to be a happy family does not mean neglect was not going on.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    I have to say in respect of the alleged neglect of the children, of course they would seem happy, children (pre teen) generally have happy dispositions, whatever circumstances they are in it is normal to them, they really do not know any different.

I lived many years ago on an estate where I witnessed appalling neglect, in my eyes, but the children were just children happy in whatever environment they lived in, and they loved their parents, it was all they knew. So to others what seems to be a happy family does not mean neglect was not going on.

i completely agree. its not a matter of if they battered or starved the kids, its the psychological damage, the 'failure to thrive', the limited horizons, the deadening deadened lives mapped out for these kids.

no parent can adequately attend to the needs of that many children, and the damage done to them by the casual misogyny, sexual incontinence and brutality that was apparently the norm for this man is utterly incalculable. :(
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and then it has to be proved that there was intent to kill

It does in murder, but not manslaughter. That is why they were charged with manslaughter.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    A wake is held the night before the funeral, not after. Any gathering held after a funeral people would just wear what they wore to the funeral, and I've never heard it called an "after party".

I'm Irish, and this Mairaed creature is from an Irish background too, there's nothing in her cultural traditions which explains that tasteless comment.

Is this perhaps an Irish term? I've heard of Irish wakes going on for days in which people come to pay their respects from all over the place before the funeral.

Me, I have always heard 'wake' used (in Scotland) in reference to the sandwiches and glass of whisky in the pub after the funeral. Perhaps I picked it up wrong. At any rate, 'after party' remains an unfeeling comment.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does in murder, but not manslaughter. That is why they were charged with manslaughter.

Exactly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this perhaps an Irish term? I've heard of Irish wakes going on for days in which people come to pay their respects from all over the place before the funeral.

Me, I have always heard 'wake' used (in Scotland) in reference to the sandwiches and glass of whisky in the pub after the funeral. Perhaps I picked it up wrong. At any rate, 'after party' remains an unfeeling comment.

Yes, a wake in Ireland is the night before the funeral, sometimes a few nights if there are family members who have to travel home from abroad.

I've never heard of an after party after a funeral, just a low key gathering with sandwiches or whatever, same as in Scotland. This woman's just a freak.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I thought it was called a wake but I thought a wake was held before a funeral.

I have only know a Wake to be held after the funeral. Never has it been classed as a party.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this country is absolutely packed with chavs with the Jeremy Kyle show and Shameless as well as the media glorifying chavs. A growing chav culture is a result of the cultural marxists

Do you know, I was actually thinking about this today and I think the JK show should be stopped. Phillpott was on there and, as you rightly say, that show is packed with people of a similar ilk.

I know we all have a choice as to whether or not to watch garbage like this but we shouldn't even be giving people like this air-time. It's just disgraceful and the only one getting anything out of it is JK, in the way of big money.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    He wanted a bigger house with more bedrooms? Well in a way he got his wish as he's going to be living in a huge building with a lot of bedrooms.

I was always told be careful what you wish for. I hope the 3 of them suffer in prison to the worse degree.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he will be as hard in jail

It has emerged that, at the time Mick Philpott set fire to his house, he was facing a trial over a road rage incident in which he forced a motorist off the road and then punched him in the face.

A week before the tragedy in Victory Road, Philpott attended a court hearing relating to the incident and was bailed.

Mr House said the defendant "tailed" his victim's Seat Ibiza, eventually overtaking him, swerving in front of his small car and forcing him to stop.

The two vehicles collided, causing minor damage to the car.

Mr House said Philpott approached the Seat shouting: "I've got f****** kids in the van."

Philpott then punched Mr Welam once, causing "pain and discomfort".

The prosecutor said the driver described it as "a powerful punch" and said he only managed to avoid a second blow by grabbing Philpott.
    It has emerged that, at the time Mick Philpott set fire to his house, he was facing a trial over a road rage incident in which he forced a motorist off the road and then punched him in the face.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/philpott-trial-live-updates-parents-1806194
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Do you know, I was actually thinking about this today and I think the JK show should be stopped. Phillpott was on there and, as you rightly say, that show is packed with people of a similar ilk.

I know we all have a choice as to whether or not to watch garbage like this but we shouldn't even be giving people like this air-time. It's just disgraceful and the only one getting anything out of it is JK, in the way of big money.

I watxh it now and again...in real life I dont know anyone who lives like the people who appear on the show,which is why I think much of it is probably set up..sadly if my eldest son watches the show (18) he seems to think this way of life is pretty cool!!!!!..which scares me slightly.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    I watxh it now and again...in real life I dont know anyone who lives like the people who appear on the show,which is why I think much of it is probably set up..sadly if my eldest son watches the show (18) he seems to think this way of life is pretty cool!!!!!..which scares me slightly.

My son has it on series link and record :o:eek:
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member

That sounds like my son..along with Geordie Shore..unfortunately they reach an age where we cant really monitor what we watch..as we have been asleep through most of it whilst they have the energy to stay up late..
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Morning nearly had the whole show covering this story today. I didn't realise that was a rolling News show.
  • Options
    echoroseechorose Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't watch it. It's so depressing and all that shouting does my head in.
  • Options
    cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. I've often wondered these shows do more harm than good. only a few of them that tried to help people come off drugs or help finding a lost relative. That's the only time I've put my head around the door to hear that there was a happy ending. As I hate hearing people shouting and getting really abusive.
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think this was the case. Mairead's sisters both said in the documentary last night that the children were not fed properly, but were given a quarter of a bun with a scrap of burger on it.
    There appears to have been no proper bedtime routine for the children.
    On the night of the fire they were found in their underclothes and the youngest was still wearing his school uniform. Unless they were too preoccupied on the night of the fire having a threesome with their friend over the snooker table to put them to bed properly....Who knows, but I cannot see how they were well cared for with the drinking, cannabis smoking and sexual shenanigans that were taking place on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    I watch a lot of crime documentaries on tv - both UK and US cases - and murdering ones family happens in wealthy families too. Yes, those living in rough council estates are more likely to turn to petty crime and violent gang culture in the case of young men but they're no more likely to kill their own children than people from better off backgrounds. In fact, the Philpott's probably didn't intend to kill their own children but people in less famous cases did.

I appreciate your input towers, and I understand that it is not just
    the lower strata of society that carries out heinous crimes.
    In addition, I was not intending to label everyone on sink estates as ugly,
    but Jesus H. Christ, I don't think that I've ever seen
    an uglier crew than the bunch in that Derby case.
    I mean ALL of them, not just the cretins waiting to be sentenced.
    Is there something in the water up there, or don't dentists exist?
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Have you got a reputable source for that? It sounds more like a joke in really poor taste than an actual occurrence.

The woman (Mareiads friend) was interviewed on This Morning.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »

Seeing some of her family being interviewed on t.v. I am guessing that they are Irish tinkers/travellers.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Seeing some of her family being interviewed on t.v. I am guessing that they are Irish tinkers/travellers.?

I thought her father sounded like he was from Northern Ireland. He didn't sound like a traveller anyway.