Do celebrities get paid when plugging?

CocaColaCocaCola Posts: 463
Forum Member
Something I've always wondered...

Do television shows have to pay celebrities to appear when there main purpose is to promote and plug their latest work, products etc?

I'm thinking of shows like This Morning & Graham Norton!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe one or two but most of the time, no. Celebrities might not want to come on but their movie, show, or whatever charity or thing they are plugging does and they are contractually obligated to do them.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about when there is an interview, but if they are singing, there is an equity minimum payment.

If they are plugging a book or tv show, then it'll be part of their contract with the publishers/producers to do publicity, so they are already being paid for it.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Yeap, why do you think they have twitter accounts/Facebook. It is not a desire to mix with the great unwashed but to sell either a chocolate bar, a book, a DVD or tour!!! Half the time I am convinced it is all down by a secretary in a Public Relations Office, signing off at Robby Williams, Katie Price etc etc etc
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    I would think they would get an "appearance" fee?
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeap, why do you think they have twitter accounts/Facebook. It is not a desire to mix with the great unwashed but to sell either a chocolate bar, a book, a DVD or tour!!! Half the time I am convinced it is all down by a secretary in a Public Relations Office, signing off at Robby Williams, Katie Price etc etc etc

Maybe for some but not for all. Top crime author Ian Rankin keeps us up to date on his doings: concerts he goes to, new pubs he tries (he's a great lover of rock music and beer) and on the process of writing his books.

Also, lots of the Doctor Who cast - new and old era, interact with the public and answer queries, talk about things, etc.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think they would get an "appearance" fee?

So would I. Minor celebs probably want the extra income.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I think the fact that they get paid to appear on game shows for charities in a lot of cases means they probably also get paid to plug things too.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    I think the fact that they get paid to appear on game shows for charities in a lot of cases means they probably also get paid to plug things too.

I wonder how much they get paid to be on game shows for charity. Its a bit pointless when you think they usually come away with no more than a couple of thousand for their selected charity. I'd rather the TV programmers just gave the money straight to charity and showed re-runs of Chance In A Million or Rising Damp!

That John fella from Cold Feet was a particular load of crap on Celebrity Tipping Point a few weeks back (he came across as rather arrogant - toying with several thousands of money that wasn't his ... and then losing). At least Stacey Solomon had the decency to say that had she lost on a gamble - she'd make the money up herself (she didn't need to - she won the jackpot).
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CocaCola wrote: »
    Something I've always wondered...

Do television shows have to pay celebrities to appear when there main purpose is to promote and plug their latest work, products etc?

I'm thinking of shows like This Morning & Graham Norton!

The celebrities will get paid for appearing on these chat shows, but I wouldn't think they'll get paid extra for plugging one of their products though. The celebrities will probably plug their product for free. I can't see the show's makers paying the celebrity to advertise their product. That would be like the broadcaster paying the celebrity to advertise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »

Well that's just stupid. It's the celebrity who wants to advertise, not the broadcaster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That John fella from Cold Feet was a particular load of crap on Celebrity Tipping Point a few weeks back (he came across as rather arrogant - toying with several thousands of money that wasn't his ... and then losing). At least Stacey Solomon had the decency to say that had she lost on a gamble - she'd make the money up herself (she didn't need to - she won the jackpot).

Yep. Greed can be very tempting when wanting to win a lot for something in particular.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yep. Greed can be very tempting when wanting to win a lot for something in particular.
    You think he'd have offered to make up the difference (not to the jackpot - but what he'd already accumulated) though, as Stacey offered. I mean - not as if he couldn't afford it.

I was just annoyed that he got through instead of Ricky Tomlinson. I can't believe quite how thick John (Thompson?) is. He said he'd left 'Geography' til last as it was his strongest subject and then didn't know that the Yellow River ran through China (even when he'd been given a multiple choice).