Options

Pav and the underlying racism.

Comments

• Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Agree 100%

Yes, they're all booing him coz he's got a turban on.

Meanwhile, on Planet Earth.
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    It is absolutely impossible to miss the immediate, knee-jerk reaction of some forum members at the bare possibility that any suggestion of racism might not be racism. They don't want to debate it, or to give any thought to it, just to close down the discussion, sometimes with personal insults of "racist" directed at those who have dared to question the orthodoxy of the religion of anti-racism.
    Do these people honestly believe it to be impossible that racism might not be a factor in some of the cases they mention?

"Racist" as an expression is a dead giveaway of a forum member who just can't stand the subject being debated; they obviously find any questioning of their views threatening, so instead of trying to discuss it, they try to stop anyone else doing so.

As opposed to "Anti-racism is kind of a religion now"?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I do think it has become something of a religion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is absolutely impossible to miss the immediate, knee-jerk reaction of some forum members at the bare possibility that any suggestion of racism might not be racism. They don't want to debate it, or to give any thought to it, just to close down the discussion, sometimes with personal insults of "racist" directed at those who have dared to question the orthodoxy of the religion of anti-racism.
    Do these people honestly believe it to be impossible that racism might not be a factor in some of the cases they mention?

"Racist" as an expression is a dead giveaway of a forum member who just can't stand the subject being debated; they obviously find any questioning of their views threatening, so instead of trying to discuss it, they try to stop anyone else doing so.

Are you 12 years old? How does that make ANY sense of what I posted? No one has shown any 'knee jerk reaction' to the suggestion that there may not be racism; people are only saying that it is possible. It is invariably the 'race card' people who try to close the discussion down, and no one else. I did not use the word 'racist', you did. You have not questioned anyone's views, other than to repeat them like a kid in a playground.

If you have anything slightly intelligent to add to the discussion about whether racism may be a possible factor, please say it. People who can't even bear the word to be used are just showing how defensive it makes them feel.
  • Options
    sara-dalesara-dale Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Yes, they're all booing him coz he's got a turban on.

Meanwhile, on Planet Earth.

Its a bit like debating with a carrot!
  • Options
    fergferg Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    kaceyy wrote: »
    Except upon further scrutiny every housemate whi has said this says 'well umm yeah it's kinda errr because ya know he's watched us for weeks and errr errr oh yeah that psychology degree yeah thats it we distrust him because of his psychology degree".

In actual fact he hasn't been exposed he's done nothing wrong.
    I'm not saying he has but it's clearly a topic of conversation in the house and whenever it's come up in the past in any context the housemate has been booed.
  • Options
    johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

video killed the radio star
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sara-dale wrote: »

I agree, but I live in hope that the carrots will listen.
  • Options
    johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but carrots help you see
  • Options
    KittygodfreeKittygodfree Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I think the boos did stem partly from prejudice. I admit he's fairly boring but the level of booing was unwarranted.

I don't believe the majority of the British public are like that though, hence the fact that Steven was booted out.

Disappointed by the crowd tonight.

Sadly I do think a heck of a lot of people are prejudiced against a great amount of what they believe are people different to them(race,sexuality,religion).This can be blatent or closet or people who pretend to embrace diversity until it lands on their doorstep.Whatever the reason for poor Pav's boos it still isnt as bad as Aaron Allard winning BB and getting terrible boos.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

YOu mean it's like debating with a kid. People like carllewis pretending he is quoting what people have said, when they have not, in order to mock it is possibly the lowest level to which a forum can sink.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is the nice, quiet, reasonable young man in the turban who's done nothing offensive or controversial getting disproportionately booed?

It's a mystery.
  • Options
    kaceyykaceyy Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ferg wrote: »
    I'm not saying he has but it's clearly a topic of conversation in the house and whenever it's come up in the past in any context the housemate has been booed.

Fair point also after Danielle admitted she only said it out of vengeance and to set the cat amongst the pigeons i guess but when others say Chris is playing a game and being two faced the crowd didn't seem all that influenced by this..

Infact on further reflection i think OP may have hit thr nail firmly on the head, although some will dismiss this whole topic as 'leftie bollocks'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you 12 years old? How does that make ANY sense of what I posted? No one has shown any 'knee jerk reaction' to the suggestion that there may not be racism; people are only saying that it is possible. It is invariably the 'race card' people who try to close the discussion down, and no one else. I did not use the word 'racist', you did. You have not questioned anyone's views, other than to repeat them like a kid in a playground.

If you have anything slightly intelligent to add to the discussion about whether racism may be a possible factor, please say it. People who can't even bear the word to be used are just showing how defensive it makes them feel.

No, the "anti-racists" won't consider that when someone suggests something might not be racist, they might have a point.

Seems to me that your side have closed down the argument already in your minds, because once racism is suggested, it must be there.

The fact is, you can't even see this, because you're so convinced of your own correctness.
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think it has become something of a religion.

Well, I grew up knowing that I had a mixed race cousin in Jamaica even when racial slurs were all around me. I must have been an early convert to this anti-racist religion.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do nice white people get booed sometimes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I grew up knowing that I had a mixed race cousin in Jamaica even when racial slurs were all around me. I must have been an early convert to this anti-racist religion.

Twisting my point
  • Options
    smoggieboonsmoggieboon Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    although some will dismiss this whole topic as 'leftie bollocks'.

guilty as charged... not enough spine to mention my name?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I don't buy into this at all!!

I think the general dislike of Pav started with his VT. He exaggerated too much on it, so would always have come across boring when he never fulfilled that first impression of himself he gave. A ladies man, who can manipulate people into his way of thinking?! Please!

I think there is some projection of Marlon on Pav mixed in there too. Marlon had a larger than life VT too and ended up disappointing.

I mean generally the viewing public can forgive a housemate with a false VT if they show a personality that's entertaining in other ways, and will just dismiss the false VT as them "just saying that to get on the show" But Pavs done nothing he said he would do or even attempted anything. So at this late stage it's frustrating to have a quiet housemate that's not really bringing anything to the house, especially when it getting to the stage peoples favourites are starting to go. The larger personalities in the house will always get blamed by some for not letting Pav flourish but it's actually the producers that put a personality like Pav in at this late stage that are to blame. He needed time, it's obvious he wasn't a bianca type that would come in and make a huge impact or an out going Zoe type that would get along with everyone.

He doesn't deserve the boos no, but once he gets evicted it's obvious they'll stop. He's not hated!
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They dont apparently..I give up debating it because its not going anywhere .
  • Options
    fergferg Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Fair point also after Danielle admitted she only said it out of vengeance and to set the cat amongst the pigeons i guess but when others say Chris is playing a game and being two faced the crowd didn't seem all that influenced by this..

Infact on further reflection i think OP may have hit thr nail firmly on the head, although some will dismiss this whole topic as 'leftie bollocks'.
    Chris's storyline isn't that "he's a gameplayer", when Pav entered the house he said he had a Psychology degree and knew how to manipulate people in a video which the housemates saw. Ex-housemates agreed that he was playing a game, current housemates are suspicious anyway and will take any excuse for an easy nomination. Viewers already have their favourites so he's hardly going to get cheers is he, regardless of what he has on his head.

Although I guess a dick might have swayed a few.
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because they act in a spiteful/bullying/controlling/sexist manner. (See Helen, Steven, Ash, Marlon etc for reference.) In the same way that people who act like that and are from various ethnic minorities also get booed and chanted heavily.

That is not the case here, because Pav hasn't bullied anyone. Or been malicious. Or sexist. Or spiteful. So why exactly is he getting chanted and booed as much as Helen etc?
  • Options
    kaceyykaceyy Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guilty as charged... not enough spine to mention my name?

Seriously you felt the need to post this? You felt i was quivering at the mere thought of mentioning you (random user who i have never spoken too) and the wrath that may come my way?

Well yes i am ofcourse terrified, no further justification needed let's just assume I'm afraid of some random no name on a forum.
  • Options
    smoggieboonsmoggieboon Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when Jade treated Shilpa the way she did people still felt that wasn't racist.

If I remember didn't she call her Shilpa Poppadom or something similar. It was the sort of thing that infant or junior schoolkids would say. I felt that it wasn't borne of racism, but her lack of maturity and IQ.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    Because they act in a spiteful/bullying/controlling/sexist manner. (See Helen, Steven, Ash, Marlon etc for reference.) In the same way that people who act like that and are from various ethnic minorities also get booed and chanted heavily.

That is not the case here, because Pav hasn't bullied anyone. Or been malicious. Or sexist. Or spiteful. So why exactly is he getting chanted and booed as much as Helen etc?

Because "They" wow
    So according to you NO white person has ever been booed for no reason?
    I call BS on that. You are just desperate for a racism story.
    The crowd boo ANYONE who is not there fav. If you have watched BB for a long time like me you will have learnt this. All it will take is Pav to do one thing epic and it will change.
This discussion has been closed.