Comments

• SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    143. The Ghost Of Grania O'Malley - Michael Morpurgo 8/10
    Egmont UK Ltd, 213 pages
    <Children's Fiction> A simple, yet wonderful children's book by the renowned writer… Palsy sufferer Jess and her American cousin have an amazing summer when they get caught up with trying to save the 'Big Hill' on Clare Island… wonderful read taking me back to the stuff I read as a child in the 70s! Exquisite!

144. Marvel Team-Up 1972-1973 - Gerry Conway, Len Wein, Ross Andru, Gil Kane, Jim Mooney etc. 1/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 337 pages <Graphic Novel> The original Spider-Man team up series… really poor start, in my opinion. Collecting Marvel Team-Up #1-16
    145. Giant Sized Spider-Man (1970s) - Len Wein, Ross Andru, Gerry Conway etc. 3/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 155 pages <Graphic Novel> GS Spider-Man #1-5, with the key occurrence being the introduction of Moses Magnum and some cross-overs with the return of Gwen Stacy arc.
    146. Amazing Spider-Man 1972-1973 (Gerry Conway I) - Gerry Conway, John Romita, Gil Kane, Ross Andru etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 416 pages <Graphic Novel> ASM #111-128… the Green Goblin attack on Gwen Stacey dominates this era; debuts for Hammerhead and the Smasher.
    147. Amazing Spider-Man 1973-1974 (Gerry Conway II) - Gerry Conway, Ross Andru etc 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 402 pages <Graphic Novel> ASM #129-149… classic-ridden era with debuts for the Punisher, Spider-Mobile, Tarantula, Gloria Grant, Green Goblin II, Cyclone… and the first ever 'clone' arc!
    148. Marvel Team-Up 1974-1975 [Len Wein] - Len Wein, Sal Buscema, Gil Kane, Jim Mooney etc. 2/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 403 pages <Graphic Novel> More team-up snore-fest! MTU #17-37
    149. Marvel Team-Up 1975-1977 [Bill Mantlo] - Bill Mantlo, Sal Buscema, John Byrne 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 383 pages <Graphic Novel > MTU #38-58 much improved under Mantlo including the introduction of police captain Jane DeWolff and a great Deathlok team-up… and introducing great artist John Byrne!
    150. Amazing Spider-Man 1975-1978 (Len Wein) - Len Wein, Ross Andru etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 651 pages <Graphic Novel> ASM #150-181… more Bronze Age Spidey with debuts for the Dr Marla Madison, Jigsaw, Human Fly, KJ Clayton… and the MJ / Peter Parker romance :-)

151. Mr Nobody's Eyes - Michael Morpurgo 7/10
    Egmont UK Ltd, 189 pages
    <Children's Fiction>
    Enchanting Morpurgo tale… Young Harry Hawkins struggles in post war London, with a step dad, newly born step brother, a tough teacher at school and overall perceived isolation… which leads to him running away… with a circus monkey! Enjoyable read!
    152. Twist Of Gold -Michael Morpurgo 7/10
    Egmont UK Ltd, 296 pages
    <Children's Fiction>
    Another wonderful Morpurgo tale… From the potato famine and plague in Ireland, across the Atlantic and across America, Morphugo tells the tale of a hard, yet beautiful journey made by two Irish children in search of their American bound father. Another great book handling some really serious historical issues really well.

153. The Last Thing Before I Go - Jonathan Tropper 8/10
    Orion Books (Hachette UK), 343 pages
    <Dark Comedy >
    Another great Tropper work… a divorced man is diagnosed with cancer, his young daughter is pregnant and his ex-wife is about to remarry… a time of introspection for all ensues as each tries to rationalised and determine their future paths… good read… well written.

154. Where'd You Go Bernadette? - Maria Semple 9/10
    Weidenfeld & Nicolson (Hachette UK), 324 pages
    <Dark Comedy 9>
    Shortlisted Women's Prize for Fiction 2013 - This TV writer of the likes of Arrested Development and Ellen… produces a masterclass in comedy drama with a highly dysfunctional family of three, dad - a Microsoft superstar, mum Bernadette - a one-time genius architect and daughter Bee… aka.. Balakrishna(!) child prodigy, living in a run-down mansion-like house in Seattle. Bee wants to go to the Antartica, Dad wants to create Microsoft's next big thing and Bernadtte is lost and doesn't know what she wants... this book tells the amazing, touching and funny story of this family and their friends, neighbours, colleagues... and enemies. Tremendouss piece of work.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    37. The Land of Decoration - Grace McCleen

9/10 - a very, very original book. I think it's safe to say I have never read anything like it before. I love the descriptions and the main character, Judith, the only thing that stopped me giving it a 10 was that I thought the ending was a bit abrupt!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    34. The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home.

A detective story which is quite unusual as the main character is an Oceanologist with a particular interest in tracking ocean debris. There are three separate threads to the story and they give an opportunity to bring in a troubled personal life (are there any happy fictional detectives?) and a tie-in to a woman police detective who'd like to get her own back on her chauvinistic boss. The story hangs together well and is quite an entertaining read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    NinaRibena wrote: »
    72. The Dead Girlfriend - R. L. Stine

I decided to re-read one of my old Point Horror books. I loved it for nostalgic reasons although it is very easy to read and I knew how it would end.

73. Dear Thing - Julie Cohen

I really enjoyed this book. I liked both main female characters and I really wanted to find out what would happened so I read this pretty quickly. Would read more by the same author
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    24. Sissinghurst by Vita Sackville West and Sarah Raven.
    Forum Member
    73. Dear Thing - Julie Cohen

I really enjoyed this book. I liked both main female characters and I really wanted to find out what would happened so I read this pretty quickly. Would read more by the same author

74. Darkness, Tell Us - Richard Laymon

Another re-read by one of my favourite authors.
  • ToriabelleToriabelle Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    17. Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My High Heels For A New Life In France - Karen Wheeler
    18. Perfume Of Provence - Kate Fitzroy
    19. The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) - Robert Galbraith
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    141) Cockroaches - Jo Nesbo
    142) Flat out love - Jessica Park
    143) In Falling Snow - Mary-Rose MacColl
    Forum Member
    74. Darkness, Tell Us - Richard Laymon

Another re-read by one of my favourite authors.

75. Funland - Richard Laymon

Another re-read. I always enjoy this one, although it is let down by a scene that happens in the end. Just a bit too silly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    144) Saving Grace - Pamela Fagan
    145) One Perfect Christmas - Paige Toon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler.
    Rosemary Cooke grew up in an unconventional family and at the age of five she lost her sister. It's difficult to say anything else about this book without giving the plot away, so I won't.

5/5 from me. If you've enjoyed Donna Tartt' s books, or A M Homes' May We Be Forgiven, then you'll probably like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    146) Time to Let Go - Christoph Fischer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    26. Call The Midwife by Jennifer Worth.
    27. Americans by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    28. Through Thick And Thin by Gok Wan
    29. Romulus Buckle & The City of the Founders. Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zepplin. Book 1 by Richard Ellis Preston Jr.
    30. Romulus Buckle & Engines of War. Book 2 by Richard Ellis Preston Jr.
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    154. Where'd You Go Bernadette? - Maria Semple 9/10
    Weidenfeld & Nicolson (Hachette UK), 324 pages
    <Dark Comedy>
    Shortlisted Women's Prize for Fiction 2013 - This TV writer of the likes of Arrested Development and Ellen… produces a masterclass in comedy drama with a highly dysfunctional family of three, dad - a Microsoft superstar, mum Bernadette - a one-time genius architect and daughter Bee… aka.. Balakrishna(!) child prodigy, living in a run-down mansion-like house in Seattle. Bee wants to go to the Antartica, Dad wants to create Microsoft's next big thing and Bernadtte is lost and doesn't know what she wants... this book tells the amazing, touching and funny story of this family and their friends, neighbours, colleagues... and enemies. Tremendouss piece of work.

155. Marvel Team-Up 1976-1980 [Chris Claremont] - Chris Claremont, Sal Buscema, John Byrne etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 594 pages <Graphic Nove> MTU #59-89 the mostly Claremont and Byrne run is known for bringing Captain Britain to US Marvel, as well as Arcade, Miss Locke, Murderworld, D'Spayre and more.
    156. Marvel Team-Up 1980-81 - Steven Grant, Herb Trimpe and various 4/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 446 pages <Graphic Novel > MTU #90-110 the highlights being the debuts of Karma, Mockingbird and Danse Macabre.

157. Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man 1976-1978 [Bill Mantlo-1] - Bill Mantlo, Sal Buscema, Archie Goodwin, Gerry Conway etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 432 pages <Graphic Novel>
    Spectacular Spider-Man #1-25, the first ongoing secondary Spidey title sees the debuts of Lightmaster, Hitman, Razorback, Hyono Hustler… and Latino super hero the White Tiger. Not as good as ASM.
    158. Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man 1979-1980 [Bill Mantlo-2] - Bill Mantlo, Jim Mooney, Frank Miller etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 452 pages <Graphic Novel> Spectacular Spider-Man #26-42, Annual #1 and Fantastic Four #218, imprving series with the highlight… very big highlight is the 'Carrion' arc.
    159. Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man 1980-1981 [Roger Stern] - Roger Stern and various artists. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 452 pages <Graphic Novel> Spectacular Spider-Man #43-60, Annual #2 & 3 Some solid stuff by Stern, culminates with the final fate of the Man Wolf?

160. Amazing Spider-Man 1978-1980 (Wolfman) - Marv Wolfman, Keith Pollard etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 453 pages <Graphic Novel> ASM #182-204, Annual #13… more Bronze Age Spidey but with 'Marvelous' Marv Wolfman… giving us the Black Cat, the Kingpin battering Spidey, #200 and the Burglar, and Parker graduating and becoming a graduate teacher.

161. Merry Christmas Alex Cross [Alex Cross 20] - James Patterson 5/10
    Arrow Books (Random House), 417 pages
    <Thriller>
    The 20th Alex Cross book sees more Islamic fundamentalist terrorism continued from the last book… and an awful domestic case involving hostage taking of a fmaily… all at christmas!

162. Waiting For Anya - Michael Morpurgo 9/10
    Egmont UK Ltd, 186 pages
    <Children's Fiction>
    Another astounding piece of children's fiction by Morpurgo… towards the end of WWII a Jewish refugee comes to a small village on the Spanish border, looking to cross over, when another Jewish child arrives and another, and another… meanwhile a small German garrison is sent to the village to watch the border. Young Jo and his grandpa, find themselves caught up in a conspiracy to hide and protect the refugees... all this time the original refugee is waiting for his young sister... Anya ... a beautful piece of work!

163. Lamb - Bonnie Nadzam 7/10
    Hutchinson (Random House), 275 pages
    Shortlisted Women's Prize for Fiction 2013, Winner Flaherty Dunman First Novel Prize 2011
    <Literary>
    David Lamb is 54, Tommie is an 11 year old girll… there's nothing wrong there is there? That's the sub heading to this weird and compelling book… about… I think... friendship and mortaility.

164. May We Be Forgiven - A.M. Homes 8/10
    Granta Books, 480 pages
    Winner Women's Prize for Fiction 2013
    <Dark Comedy>
    This near vitriolic satire / dark comedy on the disintegration of three families leading to the creation of a new type of family.. Intersperssed with internet dating, a Richard Nixon obsessive, a Bar Mtzvah, in rural South Africa, a free-for-all criminal internment camp and much more... great writer, great read!
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    25. The Drowning pool by Syd Moore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    147) Before we met - Lucie Whitehouse
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    5) Skeletons - Jane Fallon 7/10
    6) An Open Marriage 7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    148) The Third Wife - Lisa Jewell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    36. Raisng Steam. The railway comes to Ankh-Morpork, meanwhile dwarves are planning to overthrow the Low King. Read by Stephen Briggs. Good fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    149) We were liars - E Lockhart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    36. Raisng Steam. The railway comes to Ankh-Morpork, meanwhile dwarves are planning to overthrow the Low King. Read by Stephen Briggs. Good fun.

By Terry Pratchett of course.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you enjoy this? I loved it and thought it was her best book yet :)
    Hi Nina - sorry I've been away, wasn't ignoring you! Yes I really liked it - definitely one of her best books.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    29) The Villa by Rosanna Ley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    150) Mad About You - Sinead Moriarty
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    151) The Ladies Room - Carolyn Brown