Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    How come when we get prolific strikers they end up being injury prone?(
    To whom do you refer? Andy Carroll was never prolific :p
    Suarez never missed a game through injury, going further back Torres had a good record with us and I'd certainly say we got plenty out of the likes of Fowler & Owen?
    Not a football post but tonight I will be glued to the US Open tennis and hoping Caroline Wozniacki a big LFC fan wins - it will be a big ask against Serena but you never know and she has been playing better than I have seen her do for a long time - her form has improved since she split from the Manc Rory!! :D The Sharapova game was awesome and showed what she can do. In her semi tho Serena looked at her best but at times she can also be prone to lots of unforced errors - lets hope tonight is such a night and Caroline wins!!

Sadly Serena was too powerful for her, still a great tournament for Caroline though.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been reading an update on the Anfield redevelopment apparently straight from the contractor awarded the work. I say apparently because I'm slight incredulous of the timescales being suggested. The site reporting it is reputable enough but the source seems to be an employee of the firm who answered questions on-line - that's the bit that sounds iffy... but anyway:

http://www.movecommercial.com/liverpools-anfield-development-timeline-announced/

Work to start July 2015 and completed no later than November 2015 (hopefully September?!) with no impact to capacity during the work.

Planning permission being sought includes a 'future proof' plan for a redeveloped Centenary Stand and corners taking the capacity to 68K or 71K respectively.

If you dig a bit deeper it appears that the Centenary Stand is a serious if far-off development but the corners are simply uneconomical, adding only 3K more seats.

2-5 months to redevelop two stands? I'm really not sure. I know when Wolves rebuilt one of their stands a couple of years ago they had the lower tier completed in 3 months but the whole thing took over a year. July 2015 to Sept 2016 sounds more likely.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Losing Sturridge is a blow, but he's replaceable whilst we still have Balotelli fit. Losing Henderson though would properly piss me off, he's irreplaceable to the way we play, as we saw in the 3 games he missed towards the end of last season.

He better not play tomorrow. Even if he just limped out of training as a precaution, I don't want him risking it.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Henderson starts tonight
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hendo and Sterling with 90 mins and Lambert with 5 (and an assist along with Sterling).

You can tell Hodgson is still being conservative, Hendo wasn't allowed to get forward at all until the whole game opened up late on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Hendo and Sterling with 90 mins and Lambert with 5 (and an assist along with Sterling).

You can tell Hodgson is still being conservative, Hendo wasn't allowed to get forward at all until the whole game opened up late on.

To be fair, Henderson had the very important job of protecting an extremely young and inexperienced defender being played out of position at RB. And Hendo did the task excellently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I thought about that after. :)
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Glen Johnson to potentially move to Italy in January?

How true we don't know, but it would be decent imo, I'm not a Johnson hater, but he's dosnt bring a lot to the table anymore and hasn't done for some time

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/09/football-transfer-rumour-mill-glen-johnson-liverpool-juventus
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I still haven't managed to run a half all the way.

Yesterday was really tough, was around 20 degrees and a very congested course but I got round it in 2 and a half hours which I'm pleased with considering I had a chest infection 4 weeks ago.

Already making plans for next year's.

Pissed off this morning to wake up to the news about Hendo though.

Well done you - I confess when I did it in 2004 I took nearly 3 hours!! - altho I did run to 8 miles - slowly cos it was so crowded and then mainly walked = very slow time!!
    Malbren wrote: »

Sadly Serena was too powerful for her, still a great tournament for Caroline though.

Yes she did well to get to the final but Serena was simply too good altho imo Caroline did not play as well as she had been doing altho maybe she played as well as she was allowed to.

On a completely separate note on another site I was reading a profile of Mario which I found interesting and then a day or two later I tried to find it again but have not been able to - the Wikipedia page for him has similarities but this one gave more detail, a lot of which I did not know and tbh I cannot remember the full details of it all.

It spoke of how he was separated from his birth parents, how he emigrated to Italy, his relationship with his adopted parents, how he was received as a black footballer in Italy and his attempts to break into the professional game. A lot of it goes some way to explaining the way he has behaved at times in his life. To sum up he has not had an easy life and imo maybe going to LFC and receiving the kind of welcome he will do at our club could be the making of him. We will see.

Does anyone on here know the article I am referring to and if so do they have a link to it?
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is in charge of Liverpool's instagram account? Some seriously cringy posts being put on lately :D
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dani Alves coming to Anfield ?
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

Have we gone back to 2006?

I bet Simao is still on an airport runway somewhere too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done you - I confess when I did it in 2004 I took nearly 3 hours!! - altho I did run to 8 miles - slowly cos it was so crowded and then mainly walked = very slow time!!

I ran til 8 and a half miles last year then jogged and walked til 11 and a half and ran the last two.

Hoping to break 2 hours next year.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting to note that BR stated that the injury Sturridge picked up with England was "preventable" but he didn't elaborate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shot across the bows.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

Nah, not a chance in my opinion.

I think Brendan sees Flanno and Manquillo as covering our right-back spot for the next ten years; phase GloJo out over the course of this season and have an additional £100k+ per week to play with in the wage budget from next season onwards.

Dani Alves isn't even a right-back anymore - if he ever was in the first place - he's there to make sure Leo Messi has an outside pass available to him on the right if he needs it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emre Can out for up to 6 weeks. The manner of this one really agitates me. He was playing for Germany U-21s when he went over on his ankle. Despite the fact he was limping all the way up to the final whistle, they kept him on, despite the fact they were 5-0 up at the time.

Insane disregard for a player's fitness.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    That's a slight concern as I'd have thought he'd be the one to come in for Henderson. I guess Coutinho might play that role but given how Villa came to Anfield last season and bossed our midfield, we'll need to be better prepared this time. Especially now they've signed Tom Cleverley (:D).

Is Lallana ready to go yet? He could be needed as I'm reading Allen is a doubt. :o
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ZYfhefazg

Brendan's pre-Aston Villa press conference. In it he talks about the injuries, Mario Balotelli not kicking that Wolves player (who Brendan knew since he was 9), England putting players on a pedestal and knocking them down, and the worry that they'll try that with Sterling, denying the Valdes rumours and gives his opinion on the referral system and managers getting challenges (he's against it).
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Glen Johnson to potentially move to Italy in January?

How true we don't know, but it would be decent imo, I'm not a Johnson hater, but he's dosnt bring a lot to the table anymore and hasn't done for some time

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/09/football-transfer-rumour-mill-glen-johnson-liverpool-juventus

I would be totally happy with GJ going - of the 25 man squad he is prob the most dispensible imo. Possibly Toure is as weak but we only have 4 CBs now with Coates, Illori and Agger gone so he has to stay. For FBs we have the 2 Spanish lads, Flanno and Enrique so no real need for GJ any more.

He does get a lot of stick on LFC sites - does not try, does not care ...etc, that is unfair and I think he does his best but at the same time his form is very poor. He is forever giving the ball away by poor dribbling, ambitious passes which get cut out, poor crossing which goes into the crowd for a goal kick. Defensively too he often lets his winger get dangerous crosses in, he does not mark his man closely enough (which can lead indirectly to goals) and gets caught out of position by going forward and not getting back quick enough. His shooting too is embarrassingly bad and he has not scored for a long time. 6 months ago I was quite pro him but then I started watching him more closely and came to the conclusion he is nowhere near as good as he was.

Considering he is quite old (by our squads standards) and one of our top earners I would he happy to see him go. Certainly I think there is no chance of us keeping him next summer and if he goes in January at least we get a fee for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    That's a slight concern as I'd have thought he'd be the one to come in for Henderson. I guess Coutinho might play that role but given how Villa came to Anfield last season and bossed our midfield, we'll need to be better prepared this time. Especially now they've signed Tom Cleverley (:D).

Is Lallana ready to go yet? He could be needed as I'm reading Allen is a doubt. :o

Lallana is fit and scored in the infamous Balotelli murder game! :D

Mignolet
    Manquillo----Lovren--Sakho---Moreno
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    Lallana
    Sterling
    Lambert---Balotelli

is how I'd start the game.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Lallana is fit and scored in the infamous Balotelli murder game! :D

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    Lallana
    Sterling
    Lambert---Balotelli

is how I'd start the game.

I would 99% agree with this line up, only slight difference

Mignolet
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    Lallana
    Sterling----Coutinho
    Balotelli
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Who is in charge of Liverpool's instagram account? Some seriously cringy posts being put on lately :D

I agree, some very weird photo's .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen the ridiculous row breaking out on Twitter over allowing "Mighty Red" to appear at matches?

If that's one of our biggest problems we're looking okay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say no to match mascots!
This discussion has been closed.