Worst Moment When You Could Not Stop Laughing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
Forum Member
There have been loads of situations when (usually working with a mate) when it was impossible to not laugh.

Working for BT we had to put a line in an old peoples home and we were in the wardens office looking at the building plans.

It was Friday and was hairdressers day, from outside office the hairdresser called to the warden that Mable wanted to come in and show her her new haircut. All was fine at this point until she came in and it was the worst haircut I had ever seen, just one look at my mate and that was it.

There was no hiding place and the door was blocked by Mable, the only thing we had was an A3 size plan of the building and we just lifted it up in front of our faces, the paper was shaking and there was an occaisional squeak from one of us, but we just managed to keep a lid on it and recovered.

Exit Mable. Then the hairdresser asked if Gwen could cut her own hair, to which the warden replied "No! Not Gwen you know what happened last time she was given scissors"

That was it, I just went to jelly and fell down on my knees just utterly uncontrollable fits of giggling my mate was crying.

The warden was not impressed but there was no way we could hide what we were laughing at.

Anyone else a bad giggler?

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    my grans funeral i was in hysterics with laughter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my friend used to wear ridiculous high heals, she fell over in the middle of the the road and i couldn't help her for laughing a passerby had to help her
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a case of the giggles during the two minute silence a week after the London bombings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »

Was it that funny?

I'm a terrible giggler... and at the most inopportune moments usually..... that's what makes it funnier than it actually is! :D
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    My boyfriend suffers quite badly with his knee and every now and again it locks up and hes in agony. One night we were sleeping and the fire alarm went off for no apparent reason, he jumped up to turn it off and landed painfully hurting his knee, he also knocked into the wardrobe, hopped over screaming in agony bounced against the tv stand, bounced into the sofa and came hurtling headfirst towards me on the bed. He looked like a pinball and I was in hysterics. I felt like the ultimate b**** but I couldn't stop laughing even when I was asking if he was ok and getting ice and things to help him I had tears rolling down my face.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Well mine is not as good as the OP's but when my father remarried, I had a lot of bother trying to stop laughing during the ceremony. My then girlfriend was making me laugh and was making mean comments about my father's wife to be. Fortunately we were sat right at the back of the room where the ceremony took place. Yes, you read it right, I was nowhere near the rest of the family. That wasn't my choice either!

However, it's not the best time to get the fit of the giggles. A few people noticed too but nothing was said. It's difficult to not laugh when someone says to you, "she's got an odd shaped mouth hasn't she? Looks like a frog," about someone whom you don't particularly like all that much. To top it all likening the situation to the scene in the bar at Moss Eisley space port in Star Wars made it hard to contain laughter.

When the registrar asked if anyone knew of any impediment, my girlfriend whispered, "shouldn't you raise your hand or something?" :o Naturally that caused me to chuckle, but I tried to disguise it as a cough.

I should point out that I was invited to the weddding as an afterthought and had in fact been asked if I wanted to attend the week before the wedding took place. His wife took an instant dislike to me so that's part of the reason why I was treated more like the cousin everyone forgets about. Throughout the year before the wedding I'd heard titbits of information about the wedding but I was never asked to get fitted for a suit or invited to the stag party etc. Considering I was at the time 20 and my father's only child, it was a farce from the outset but made more farcical by the +1 causing me to laugh during the ceremony.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A work colleague got her heel caught in the gap between tiles on the floor outside the office (I could see through the window) and I got a bad case of the giggles because of the way she nearly fell and just caught herself (partly/mainly because of her attitude, she thought so highly of herself) - I didn't know if she realised I'd seen and when she came back in to finger wag at me about what to do next and how to do it 'just right' (you get the picture), I had to really work hard to not laugh. It makes me feel quite cruel thinking about it :o it was one of those times when trying to subdue the laughter just somehow made you want to laugh more and more and made it worse, it kept building up inside(!) lol! eventually I managed to say I was going to the toilet then let rip when I went *sigh* it makes me cringe thinking about it.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Displaying inapproriate behaviour at social occasions is a symptom of some forms of Autism.

Might be best getting that checked out at the Docs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    My friend who is, shall we say slightly of a larger build fell over when we were leaving a supermarket together. Her head looked like it was being swallowed up by the exhaust of the car she fell next to and I just couldn't stop laughing for at least an hour. She wasn't best pleased to say the least but I just couldn't help it!
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my Taid (Welsh Grandad) died, we were round his house with the family for a sort of wake thing before the funeral.

Well, they had a Welsh Methodist preacher in, and it was all sort of fire and brimstone stuff, but in Welsh. My Nain (Welsh Gran) was very upset along with my Dad and his brothers and sisters, but I made the fatal mistake of looking at my brother who'd starting giggling because of the minister. Well, that got me, and then my Mum saw us both and she started. The three of us kept our heads bowed right down all the way through and had to pretend to be sad crying, when in fact we were nearly wetting ourselves. No-one noticed either!
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at college one lunchtime me and a couple of classmates smoked a spliff, then our class was given a tour of the library by this really nerdy librarian...we all looked at each other and burst into fits of giggles, tears streaming down our faces. We had to leave as we just couldn't control ourselves.:o
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Displaying inapproriate behaviour at social occasions is a symptom of some forms of Autism.

But the behaviour might not have been inappropriate. I remember celebrity Chic Murray's funeral - everyone was laughing in the aisles - especially when Billy Connelly was doing his eulogy. It was the kind of funeral that the deceased had asked for.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member

My husbands Grandads funeral was the same.
    Several grandchildren (all adults) had the giggle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite often find myself in fits of giggles, I blame my mother for this as she is the same.

The worst incident was probably hearing that somebody I knew had a family member just recently died. In my defense it was a group conversation, I wasn't paying full attention and I had just remembered something that happened the previous day.

Other that bursting into fits of giggles during intimate moments with my OH (they are used to it now, and also blames my mother for this family trait), nothing else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member

Snap but it was my partners grandma, isn't it awful, you feel so bad but can't stop yourself!
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    My gran's funeral..there was a woman behind us that thought she was an opera singer when the hymns were being sung at which point I was looking at my hubby to roll my eyes about it and he was giggling which then set me off
    we also both had a fit of the giggles when we got married as we struggle to say the words
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

Just wow
    As the mother of an autistic child I suggest that laughing at inappropriate times happens to most people- the massive majority are neuro typical
    Seems these days everything is a symptom of autism- which is a massive disservice to the autistic
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

think im good i was 17 at the time cant remember what set me off, my first funeral and all the seriousness of it i suppose i just started laughing and couldnt stop, i loved my gran loads she would have found it hilarious:D

If you dont laugh you cry i chose to laugh
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think im good i was 17 at the time cant remember what set me off, my first funeral and all the seriousness of it i suppose i just started laughing and couldnt stop, i loved my gran loads she would have found it hilarious:D

If you dont laugh you cry i chose to laugh

Exactly. I think laughing at funerals is probably more widespread than people might think and is one of the human responses to very stressful situations. Not deemed socially 'appropriate', but not unusual. It does not indicate that the person laughing is amused - more that they are on the verge of hysteria and under emotional strain.

I attended a church christening service once with a fairly large family group. The church was packed as several children were being christened.

It was the kind of service where congregation members get up at the front and sing or do a reading. An ancient little lady and man got up to sing a song. They were 'harmonising' but neither of them really had it any longer and their high quavery disharmonising was somewhat amusing, even though I knew it was heartfelt.

I was just wincing to myself and thinking "Blimey, that really does sound a bit rough" when I detected a tremor in the pew on which I was sitting. I couldn't understand why the whole pew was shaking until I looked to my right and spotted three of my sister-in-laws literally shaking and crying with laughter (they are some of the worst inappropriate gigglers ever). That set my OH off and I just couldn't hold it any more. I managed not to guffaw out loud, but at one point a little wimpering noise escaped which set me off again.. It was moritfying, my eyes were streaming and my nose was running and I could only find one old tissue to try and cover my shame.....
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    When I was a child (about 13) at church. There was a blind lady singing on the stage and her eyes were rolling around all over the place. I looked at my younger brother and we just both burst into laughter, We knew how terribly wrong it was but we just couldn't help it.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Someone once pulled a gun on me as a threat and I was in hysterics. My shoulders were shaking and I had tears of laughter running down my face even though I was scared. I was also once on a flight with really bad turbulence and the plane kept dropping through the sky. People were being sick and screaming every time it dropped and even though I was scared because I don't like flying, I burst out laughing every time it happened.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I probably have but can't think of any instances. However, this thread has made me giggle!
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    jojo01 wrote: »
    I probably have but can't think of any instances. However, this thread has made me giggle!

Can never tire of this golden moment in ITV's the Chase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwGFX5pgXw
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    My auntie has several parrots and one of them had been ill so she was taking special care of it. Anyway, various family members were at her house watching TV together and there was a particularly funny film on that made us roar with laughter. Well this scares the hell out of the poor bird and so it suddenly starts flying around the room in a panic. My auntie was so worried about it trying to calm it down but couldn't quite catch it, eventually it stopped flying and hung on at the top of the curtain and she had to lure it down.
    No-one dare laugh but I was absolutely bursting, it seemed to go on forever. We couldn't even leave the room because the parrot wasn't allowed to get out.