Will you Boycott DS if the forum design stays as is?

Comments

• PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a choice of colour schemes would help a lot as the forum currently is horrible and bland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I don't think the forum looks too bad. There is a few bits and bobs I don't like on it such as alck of first unread post button but its nowhere near as bad as the new main site looks.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    No Go to first unread post button is the single biggest fault for me.

Yes, the absense of that is horrible frustrating. It makes it really awkward to get back into a thread from the point where you left without it. I don't know who's idea it was to get rid of it, probably the same person who thought Windows 8 was a good idea.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually DS are good at making changes if users don't like it.

Saying that successful companies like Facebook redesign there site and Apple totally overhauled IOS this year. Pages are becoming very basic and lots of use of white and grey.

I think this is the thinking behind the new DS.

What people forget is the core of the site remains the same content unlike previous redesigns where media was moved down.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS has had a makeover and i like it. It seems people are just being plain silly if they are going to boycott it just because the website has had a refresh. Just give it time and DS keep up the great work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I like it. It's up-to-date and fresh.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    There should have been a "use it less" option, which is my position so I had to vote "no".

They will of course fix it eventually but I'm not holding my breath as there are so many things that need fixing.

However, for those who understand computer software testing methods, what we have today looks and feels like an open beta, i.e. thrown open to the public to test instead of the more usual closed beta which is tested by a restricted set of users. Not a good practice IMO - as shown by the overwhelming number of complaints in threads spread across several boards. Open beta testing can become almost unmanageable.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least I can read the right side of the page now.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or most of it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Does anybody have any recommendations for other sites?

This is so difficult to read now.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The button to go to the next unread message in a thread seems to have now been removed from all forums.

Also the threads commenting on the 'improvement' appear to have been mainly removed.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I'll be using it less and less if things remain the way they are.

I should really spend more time off here anyway. :o
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The usual crying about change and talk of boycotts, when we all know everyone will have forgotten about it in a couple of weeks.

For DS, see BBC, Facebook etc etc

Every website would still be as it was 15 years ago if companies kept listening to the luddites
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS - whoever had the idea of changing this forum, should go the way of Fred Goodwin..:)
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,618
    Forum Member
    The usual crying about change and talk of boycotts, when we all know everyone will have forgotten about it in a couple of weeks.

Every website would still be as it was 15 years ago if companies kept listening to the luddites

Yes I have no doubt the users crying on this thread will still be here in a months time.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem is the colour scheme and lack of "rectangles" to clearly define each post.

However there is also another issue - how can it possibly be better to only be able to see half as much content as you could before?

The writing wasn't too small before - it was easy to read. So why change so you can now only see half as much?

People may have different preferences re design etc - that can be subjective. But how on earth can it be better to see less?
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not a luddite - if it were a change for the better, I would applaud it - it is a change to the much worse, people will be abandoning this board in droves - advertisers, please note!
  • HalkiHalki Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the new design, and for some reason, it's making my eyes sting. So I am not finding it user friendly at all. Maybe it will just take a bit of getting used to.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Was there any sticky mentions if this didn't see pinned thread
    And is it permanent?
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still the same, it just looks different. The only thing that needs sorting is the bugs, and i am 99% sure they will sort them.

I'm not boycotting, i just don't see the point.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm skipping a lot of threads that I would usually read through because of the new design.

A lot of it is lazyness and easiness of getting to the last unread post.

I find it astonishing that a site as big as DS has implemented these changes without a beta test behind closed doors.

The old skin should be available until it is finished.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    No, I'll moan about for a while and eventually forget what the old site looked like.

Then, one day, someone will post a link to an image of how the old site and we'll all laugh at how old-fashioned it looked.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My answer is yes, but only on health grounds. I view DS on an iphone 5 and the design is doing my eyes no good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Amazed at the distress a little design change can create whilst the excessive trolling which goes on and wrecks so many threads does not appear to be an issue.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    No, I'll moan about for a while and eventually forget what the old site looked like.

Then, one day, someone will post a link to an image of how the old site and we'll all laugh at how old-fashioned it looked.

I am sure some will but many go by functionality and not fashion. Perhaps you would like them to follow the example of trendy magazines and use black font on a black background, people would allegedly get used to it.