Options

Neighbours fence - Am I right to be annoyed?

Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
Forum Member
Last month the neighbours took down 'their' fence which separates our gardens....

At first it looked like they were doing some maintenance on the garden, which was fine. But then the weeks went on, the work stopped, and it still hasn't gone back up....

I'm really not comfortable with having a 'shared' garden with them, as I nip out for **** all the time and they always seem to be out there and it's just plain awkward....

Am I right to be annoyed by this? I think it's quite inconsiderate of them to assume that we're fine having our gardens merged for this amount of time....

Comments

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It's a bit annoying tbf. Just ask them when it's going back up. I wouldn't bother getting properly annoyed about it until they tell you that they like your garden so much they are keeping it.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Last month the neighbours took down 'their' fence which separates our gardens....

At first it looked like they were doing some maintenance on the garden, which was fine. But then the weeks went on, the work stopped, and it still hasn't gone back up....

I'm really not comfortable with having a 'shared' garden with them, as I nip out for **** all the time and they always seem to be out there and it's just plain awkward....

Am I right to be annoyed by this? I think it's quite inconsiderate of them to assume that we're fine having our gardens merged for this amount of time....
    What's to stop you putting up your own fence on your side of the boundary if it matters that much?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yanbu.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What's to stop you putting up your own fence on your side of the boundary if it matters that much?

Exactly what I would do.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I guess it's an option - still don't understand why they've taken the fence down anyway.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Exactly what I would do.

What if they're planning to put a new one up, and we spend money and time on putting one up too?

I guess the best option is to just ask - but it's a tough one to handle without coming across as rude....(what they've done is quite rude though, so shouldn't be bothered about that to be honest)
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member

The expense probably!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    The expense probably!

Exactly - I was previously unsure as to who's fence it even was to be honest (this is a shared house that I moved into last year) and had never given it much thought, until they pulled it down....

I'm annoyed because I can't think of any valid reason they had to take it down, and especially for nearly a month now. If they weren't in the garden constantly I wouldn't even mind that much, but they seem to live out there.....>:(
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am ok why not be bold and ask them what the plan is.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not know which property owns the fence? If it belongs to your's, then they are legally obliged to replace it. If it is their's, and you want a dividing fence, you will have to erect one. It becomes more intricate if both are ex council houses (I assume they are attached?), you will either need to examine the deeds for your property, or contact the council. Have you not considered asking them if they intend to replace it? I would do that anyway, about an inch over on my side of the land thus ensuring you have ownership of it. It is definitely worth having the knowledge, via examining the deeds, as to who does own the fence. Thinking about it, do you own the property, or rent?
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your neighbours.
    But if it's an amicable one, surely there's no harm in asking them when they (hopefully) will put the fence back up?
    Or maybe you could put it back up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Do you not know which property owns the fence? If it belongs to your's, then they are legally obliged to replace it. If it is their's, and you want a dividing fence, you will have to erect one. It becomes more intricate if both are ex council houses (I assume they are attached?), you will either need to examine the deeds for your property, or contact the council. Have you not considered asking them if they intend to replace it? I would do that anyway, about an inch over on my side of the land thus ensuring you have ownership of it. It is definitely worth having the knowledge, via examining the deeds, as to who does own the fence. Thinking about it, do you own the property, or rent?

Cheers for that - food for thought. I'm really unsure which property owns the fence, and would have to ask the landlord. I'd assume it must be theirs though, if the guy has the balls just to go and take it down without asking us first....

I'm personally renting here, but the house belongs to the parents of one of the people I share with - they bought another property elsewhere and rent this one out to us....
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are selling stolen goods you should report them to the police. If they are having mock swordfights it's a harmless hobby and you have no right to be annoyed HTH (sorry, haven't read thread).
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep. If they want to be 'clever', be twice as 'clever' back by putting up your own on your side of the garden. If they have anything to say, let them know that you have the right to put a fence up on YOUR side of the land.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yep. If they want to be 'clever', be twice as 'clever' back by putting up your own on your side of the garden. If they have anything to say, let them know that you have the right to put a fence up on YOUR side of the land.

You can't just put it anywhere though, it has to go where the deeds say...

I think
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ask them (tactfully) what their plan is with the fence next time you're both out in the garden. They can't very well just take down a fence without saying anything and then not put a new one up. Perhaps there's been a delay in them getting the new fencing delivered or something? (Depending on where they're buying it from, if they are indeed getting a replacement).

Worst case scenario, get a new fence yourself. You say it's a shared house so presumably you can split the cost somehow? I don't know how much fences are so I don't know how do-able this is, but it is an option you may have to resort to.

Firstly though, just ask them what their plan is with the fence and when it will be replaced and work on the situation from there.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think

You what?! So a new fence can't be put about a quarter of a foot to your side?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing as such however the way boundries work one of the parties involved usually has responsibilty for it , including the cost of maintaining it.

FWIW, I am actually in exactly this situation, my fence blew down quite some time ago and its my responsibilty to repiar/ replace the fence because its "my fence" I had a chat with neighbour and explained I couldn't afford to get it done and we're both happy.
    If the fence on the other side of the garden blew down it would be my neighbours responsibility to repair / replace it.

If I were the OP I'd simply have a chat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »

This is all good advice :)
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on your further information, and only because you asked, I'm very inclined to say no, I don't think you have any right to be annoyed.

louise1966's post was very succinct.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think

You can, and deeds aren't so specific about fences. Lawyers make a fortune from boundary disputes.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    You can, and deeds aren't so specific about fences. Lawyers make a fortune from boundary disputes.

And they rightly deserve every pence of that.

Land is just complicated.

I wouldn't say you can put a fence anywhere. Theoretically, you can, but in reality, that's not the best decision. The erection of a fence without any form of consultation is simply courting trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    Based on your further information, and only because you asked, I'm very inclined to say no, I don't think you have any right to be annoyed.

louise1966's post was very succinct.

Why???

The 'fence' created privacy for both gardens - now they're one big open space. We didn't ask for that, nor was it discussed with us.

Why not knock out the wall that separates our living rooms too? Or better yet, lets just combine houses and all live together as one happy family :cool:
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Why not just ask, politely, what the plans are for the fence? No need to get in a flap until you know whether or not there is a problem. They may have needed to take it down if it was unsafe or it might have fallen down. Maybe they are just getting getting the money together to put up a new one. If you want it more than they do, you could offer to chip in.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Try nude sunbathing, they may well replace the fence in double quick time!