o2 slow tonight....again!

Comments

• tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Sunday, another day where it all drags to a crawl. This time, its not just one problem, its a number of links which are down.

I'm sure those who are critical of unlimited broadband are rubbing their hands at how bad things are going with Be/O2 at the moment. You can take these problems when they occur once in a while but when it starts to happen once a week and in some cases continuously for weeks at a time, then something is going badly wrong and they need to tackle the congestion/problems on the network.

This'll be the third ISP for whom their idea of unlimited broadband worked extremely well when I joined them but soon after appears to be falling apart.
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a bl00dy joke, i usually get an average of 13meg and 39ping but i am today getting 379kbps download and a ping of 186ms!!!!!:mad::mad:
  • sugarbabesugarbabe Posts: 1,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have complained to O2 4 times now and get a standard "sorry, we are upgrading exchanges etc"

It is just not good enough. We joined in October and since we joined it has been really bad most evenings and weekends. We are lucky if we get 1/2 meg speed and it is like dial up with pictures downloading a centimetre at a time.

I have asked them to release us from our contract or reduce our £17.50 subscription but they are refusing. It is absolutely terrible the standard of service we are receiving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems at all here, infact my conneciton seems faster than usual, as we currently have two pc's and a ps3 all running stuff at the same time.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes slow here in south Leeds in fact the slowest it has ever been & as someone posted it always seems to happen on sundays, through the week no problem hope o2 sort it out very soon:(
  • markymidsmarkymids Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes very slow again for me tonight - the second week in a row now. Download is around 1/2 meg (512kbps). Upload seems unaffected. I'm in the Manchester area.

Very poor O2 for this to happen twice in a row. :mad:
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well ive just come off the phone with them, at first they said it would be up and running in 2 DAYS TIME :eek::eek::eek:
    I straight away asked for a manager after displaying my anger and he said that it should be running propperly by the end on the night, so where did they get two days from i wonder.

I also said they should have a status box on their website for times like this, he said "we dont do that" err so on other words leave their customers in the dark.

Hopefully be all ok later.

Kev
  • steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very slow for me too.When i first joined o2 about 18 months back i was maxing out my 16mb connection then about 6 months back i was only getting 12/13mb.Eventually it dropped again to around 11mb,so i thought sod it i will downgrade to the 8mb service

Now this is running slow,plus the O2 router v2 sucks bigtime.Forever dropping the connection,lucky i have and use a spare netgear
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very slow here in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Just got it this week and speeds have been amazing mon-sat, but today i think dialup would be faster :(

Quick question does this only happen on Sundays or weekends? I've still got 20days to cancel so wondering.

Thanks
  • Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought everyone was saying how good O2 were, what with their price, support and no throttleing.

I was thinking of changing to them but you lot are putting me off.

Their network is obviously getting busy now particulary as it's the weekend. How long will it be before they start throttling like other ISPs?
  • eddieheddieh Posts: 1,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They used to be good but maybe the cheap deals have overloaded their exchanges. I'm tempted to move to Sky once the contract is up.
  • marclamarcla Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a victim of its own success, I can see them imposing a usage allowance. Although my connections been running OK tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I've been with o2 since February and Ive noticed very slow speeds at weekends, especially on Sundays. Tonight I am getting download speeds of 9.5 KB/S when I am an 11 meg connection and normal Download speeds of 900 KB/S. Its so bad tonight hence the reason why I have posted on here. It really is unnaceptable but after reading a few posts on here, it seems pointless in making a complaint :mad:

P.S - I am in Blackburn, Lancashire
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take the bad speeds on the weekend for the price tbh. If all the weekdays are fine as they have been this week.
  • marylumarylu Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I would take the bad speeds on the weekend for the price tbh. If all the weekdays are fine as they have been this week.
    Ok but such a dramatic speed loss, I've gone from 9MB/s to 500KB/sec, it's just not acceptable.
    It's wierd, a few years ago I was mesmerised by 512KB/s now it's like wading through treacle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcla wrote: »
    a victim of its own success, I can see them imposing a usage allowance. Although my connections been running OK tonight.
    I was with an ISP who went from unlimited broadband to capped (significantly, but not dissimilar to the caps of other ISPs at the time), they had a mass cull of customers soon after, including me.

If a major worldwide telecommunications company has to impose usage caps on customers, it will sound the death knell for unlimited broadband, because BT and Sky will follow soon after.
  • fossmanfossman Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I have only been with O2 a week and have been getting 4656 Kbit/s with a ping of 22 ms.

Noticed it was running slow so ran a speed test and am now getting 626 Kbit/s with a ping of 89 ms.

I think I'll leave it a few more days and then see about taking up the 30 day money back guarantee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Yeah, that came up on the Be forums long before they announced it on their service status page. However, from knowledge, in the space of around a month, this is the third fibre break which has hit.

Some questions will have to be asked about the security and consistency of the fibre network in the UK - three fibre breaks in recent weeks is to me abnormal and worrying. I hope "El Reg" will look into and report on these successive fibre breaks.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fossman wrote: »
    I have only been with O2 a week and have been getting 4656 Kbit/s with a ping of 22 ms.

Noticed it was running slow so ran a speed test and am now getting 626 Kbit/s with a ping of 89 ms.

I think I'll leave it a few more days and then see about taking up the 30 day money back guarantee.

Yep same as you, been with them for nearly a month ish. Been impressed so far, ping dropped from 80-90 to 25 upload\downlod was fast.

been slow all today, so just used speedtester and it says ping is now 98 :eek: download 673kbs upload 942 kbs :eek::confused:

router says

ADSL Link Downstream ............Upstream
    Connection Speed......7799 kbps......... 1187 kbps
    Line Attenuation ...........39 db...................10 db
    Noise Margin ................4 db...................... 6 db

was getting 8100 kbps with bt as live right near exchange, only changed to o2 for unlimited and supose to be faster :eek::mad::rolleyes::confused:

ps live near manchester

edit utube iplayer etc almost impossible to watch
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with this damn country, we must be laughing stock of europe :rolleyes::o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Network: Oops - Major Issues

Due to a Fibre Fault outside London Users May be Experiencing Slow Speeds and Increased Latency. Please Accept our apologies for the Inconvenience Caused.

https://www.bethere.co.uk/networkStatusScreenForForum.do

Fair enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »
    Network: Oops - Major Issues

Due to a Fibre Fault outside London Users May be Experiencing Slow Speeds and Increased Latency. Please Accept our apologies for the Inconvenience Caused.

https://www.bethere.co.uk/networkStatusScreenForForum.do

Fair enough.

Err NO! How about a automated e.mail or anouncment on o2 site to let people no! thought customer service was supose to be good! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    marylu wrote: »
    Ok but such a dramatic speed loss, I've gone from 9MB/s to 500KB/sec, it's just not acceptable.
    It's wierd, a few years ago I was mesmerised by 512KB/s now it's like wading through treacle

LOL yeah - and it's so easy to forget how things used to be . . .

I remember when I first hooked up online, back in 1996 - a 28.8k baud modem and subscription to compuserve was I think £19.95 a month and on TOP of that connection charges were 5p per minute . . . i remember the first time i got a phone bill for £1,000+ for one month of internet usage - yikes !!

We complain too easliy nowadays but i understand what people mean about O2 - i am having the same issues . . . but I have that £1,000 phone bill still to remind me how lucky we are now.
  • F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's seems I've missed todays slow down, Ping is up a touch but nothing to shout about.

I do thick they need to explain why all these breaks are happening at weekends.