o2 slow tonight....again!

Comments

• Itchy NiagrasItchy Niagras Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    I have been on the phone to them for one hour and it seems that the capacity where i am is near the limit and slowing my internet down and getting stupid speed test results like this

http://i44.tinypic.com/33w64qe.jpg :eek::eek::eek:
    Those speeds are impressive, compared to what I'm getting right now.:(
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

408Mbps is actually a fare bit faster than god is getting right now.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    That's good compared to what the entire world is getting.
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was getting terrible speeds at night on o2 Access, but since the end of March, my speeds have got better and better.

Was originally told by BT Retail, when i had BT Broadband, that my line could support 3.5mb, but o2 are the 1st ISP that has actually supplied it, previous ISP's i have been with, have only supplied speeds averaging 2mb.

BT Wholesale and Sam Knows both say that i "might get 1mb" on ADSL Max, which seeing the speeds that i am getting using the speedtest.net site, show that the information given out should be taking with a pinch of salt, considering all o2 Access is, basically BT Wholesale Broadband.

Hopefully, LLU isn't far away, my exchange, was due last October, but has been put back, time and time again, the last date was the end of February, with no update, this date hasn't been updated on Sam Knows either.

Here are 3 tests that i have just done, using 3 different locations.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/446462322.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/446466136.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/446466680.png

The speed is now constant day and night, before the router would sync at 2000, now it is syncing at 3500.
  • Itchy NiagrasItchy Niagras Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my ongoing issue was sorted today, courtesy of Customer Support.

It turned out that my router was paying the price for local interference. After switching the router from the channel 1 (set at the factory by default) to channel 11, speeds returned to normal. Now everything's fine.

A big up to the technical support chappy. He had me sorted out in ten minutes.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I'm having problems with http traffic. Everything else seems fine. It's the same from 3 laptops connected to the router. Possibly another DNS issue? Hmm.
    Forum Member
    I'm having problems with http traffic. Everything else seems fine. It's the same from 3 laptops connected to the router. Possibly another DNS issue? Hmm.

I can't say because mine is fine, but what you tend to get with dns issues is the page loading pauses and the browser says 'looking up xyz.com....' the first time, and only the first time you try to go to xyz.com
    Forum Member
    Well... it's generally just slow now. Downloads are slow, webpages are slow... it took 3 minutes to check for emails and download one mail which was <200k.

Humph.

The router is constantly switching to an unsecured Thompson, often daily, so it could be the cause of the problem. I know this is a "known issue" but I don't think it happens as much as it is with mine. Time for all the usual factory resets and such before calling them methinks.
    Forum Member
    i've only seen it happen once to me.

it's always worth doing the reset etc. before you phone, even if you're confident it's not the problem because you know they will make you do it before they let you progress.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this email from O2 without even prompting them. At least it shows that they are a committed provider.

Hello
    We are aware that you might not have been getting the broadband speeds you expected, particularly between 5-11pm. We believe this is the result of network congestion in your area, in particular where we have a number of high volume users. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. The great news is that we have upgraded our network capacity in your area and you should see an improvement in your connection speeds. Work is still ongoing to ensure your connection speeds are as high as possible.

Best regards,

The O2 Home Broadband team
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too - for a couple of days now.

Rang o2 who said everything is fine :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Appleseed wrote: »
    I had this email from O2 without even prompting them. At least it shows that they are a committed provider.

Hello
    We are aware that you might not have been getting the broadband speeds you expected, particularly between 5-11pm. We believe this is the result of network congestion in your area, in particular where we have a number of high volume users. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. The great news is that we have upgraded our network capacity in your area and you should see an improvement in your connection speeds. Work is still ongoing to ensure your connection speeds are as high as possible.

Best regards,

The O2 Home Broadband team

I got this email from them today too. So, thought I'd google and see how many other customers got his.
  • sugarbabesugarbabe Posts: 1,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got that email too and we left O2 on 25th March!! :cool:
  • daddycooldaddycool Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I got it too. Seems they have just sent it to everyone.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left on the 19th of march and got it too.
    Forum Member
    Sloooow. It's a bit quicker at the moment but over the day it's been dreadful.

My router is dying, too. It's changed to an unsecured Thompson four times in the past 3 or 4 hours. Very annoying.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloooow. It's a bit quicker at the moment but over the day it's been dreadful.

My router is dying, too. It's changed to an unsecured Thompson four times in the past 3 or 4 hours. Very annoying.

I got an O2 supplied one here - they sent another when i moved so the spare one is only a few weeks old. Bung me the postage and it's yours.
    It's the standard O2 wireless box thingy.
    Forum Member
    Aren't the details of the user name and password preinstalled into the routers?

I might be completely mad, but I'm sure I just plugged the router in with no configuration.

Still, I'd rather just get it officially, but thanks for the offer. Plus, if they ever ask for yours back if they realise the mistake they've made then you'd be buggered :p

I'm synce'd at 8Mbps (well, 11Mbps overall but capped) but I am only getting a throughput of 3Mbps. Boo.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else having DNS/loading pages problems this evening?
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »

There's something wrong, but it's not DNS--I've changed to OpenDNS and it's still having trouble. It just times out when trying to connect to certain sites.

Most sites work, but there are several which don't. It's very strange!
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm on LLU Standard.....very sluggish and I'm using OpenDNS.

Also unable to load ba.com but I think that's another problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    Yes, I'm on LLU Standard.....very sluggish and I'm using OpenDNS.

Also unable to load ba.com but I think that's another problem.

I can't get on ba.com either. It seems that there's a problem with some backbone somewhere. The vast majority of sites work perfectly, but it's no consolation when the one site you want to get onto doesn't! (And I'm not booking flights...!) It'd be better if one of the big guns like Google or Facebook was off; how long do you think it'll take them to notice just a few fairly minor sites being unavailable?
    traceroute to ba.com (163.166.156.201), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.254) 90.807 ms 90.258 ms 89.761 ms
    2 * * *
    3 * * *
    4 * * *
    5 * 10.1.2.158 (10.1.2.158) 172.713 ms 173.616 ms
    6 * * *
    7 * * *
    8 * * *
    ... and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    simonp820 wrote: »

Yes, some websites arent loading for me at all. Started happening an hour ago, weird.
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird indeed, it's ranging from not loading at all through to some sites loading instantaneously :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually, a good way to find out if other people are having the same problem as you is a Twitter search. People will often have a rant on there if there's something up with their internet.

O2, in sponsoring that arena in London, have come up with a masterstroke--a Twitter search for "O2" just brings up lots of messages saying "yay, just got tickets for such-and-such at the O2!" rather than lots of "grr, my O2 mobile phone / internet is f**ked".

The Be status page now has the improbably polite, but fairly unhelpful message:
    Dear Members currently you might experience some problems opening some websites. Our engineers are investigating and working on the issue.