Options

Where does the 1 come from?

PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You guys are very knowledgeable and I had a question my English friend the other day couldn't answer. He mentioned something being on Sky Sports 1, and it got me to thinking like BBC-1, ITV-1, when the second network opens does the first network automatically assume the 1?

We have things like HBO, Showtime, ESPN, all have second and third networks opened under the brand but, the first channel doesn't assume a 1 on the end. So for instance ESPN started ESPN2, but didn't call the original network ESPN1. Is that a carryover from some radio tradition, or something I'm just not aware of as a foreigner?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin 1 and Virgin 1+1 has had that name from day one.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 only adopted the 1 fairly recently. In the past ten years I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Most 1 channels only acquired their number when there were more channels from the same broadcaster to distinguish them from. Originally in Britain there was just BBC Television, and later ITV. BBC1 got that name when BBC2 launched. And similarly the ITV1 name was a rebrand after additional channels came out

There are exceptions like Sky 1, and Virgin 1, but both of those launched as part of a multi-channel lineup.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This is slightly off topic but I still find in strange when SSN/Sky Sports are promoting upcoming events and say
    "You can see that on Sky Sports HD One and One" instead of "Sky Sports HD One and Sky Sports One". It just sounds odd to me.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On that note,when the lottery dream number draw started I always thought it didn't sound right to say proceeds from Dream Number are being used "to fund the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games". In recent months they've changed it to "to fund the Olympic and Paralympic games",which to my mind just sounds better and flows off the tongue more easily.
  • Options
    TonyCurrieTonyCurrie Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Practically all European state channels are identified as -2, -2, -3 etc. It's common around the world - except in those countries without a defining popular state channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TonyCurrie wrote: »
    Practically all European state channels are identified as -2, -2, -3 etc. It's common around the world - except in those countries without a defining popular state channel.

I know, I'm just curious where the 1 came from. Say for instance BBC, why not just call it BBC Television, then BBC2, BBC3, it keeps the BBC Television brand, and identifies second, third, and fourth iterations. I guess it's just a different way of branding, I thought it might be a tradition transition from radio type thing. But I guess it's just different places marketing their brand differently, another instance the brand is HBO, the original network is HBO not HBO1, second iteration HBO2, HBO3 third iteration although rebranded and morphed into HBO Signature.
  • Options
    Paul GraysonPaul Grayson Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, I'm just curious where the 1 came from. Say for instance BBC, why not just call it BBC Television, then BBC2, BBC3, it keeps the BBC Television brand, and identifies second, third, and fourth iterations. I guess it's just a different way of branding, I thought it might be a tradition transition from radio type thing.

When BBC2 started and BBC Television became BBC1, the BBC's national radio services were named The BBC Home Service, The BBC Light Programme and BBC The Third Programme. Radio stations didn't get numerical names for another three years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV kept its original name for a few years after ITV2 launched but then changed to ITV1 to help distinguish the 2 channels as separate.

Sky1 originally was called 'Sky Channel' but renamed Sky1 after Sky bought British Satellite Broadcasting. it remained as this despite a lack of a Sky2 for many years

I think Paramount Comedy remained without the '1' for years despite the launch of Paramount comedy 2, but it later gained the '1'. These channels subsequently rebranded to Comedy Central and Comedy Central Extra

other channels without a 1 despite a 2nd channel:

Living and Living 2 (which has now been renamed Living it, reportedly because people thought Living 2 was in fact Living+2)
    Bravo and Bravo 2
    Sky Real Lives and Sky Real Lives 2
    TCM and TCM2
    True Movies and True Movies 2
    Movies for Men and Movies for Men 2
    Eurosport and Eurosport 2

There may be more but can't think of any

So in conclusion, it's not always the case that the launch of a 2nd channel leads to the original to gain a 1, but where it is done, it's done to help distinguish between the channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's just branding. Well that's cool too! I always try to look for deeper meaning, but sometimes marketing is just marketing, thanks for all the answers guys! :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weebit wrote: »
    ITV kept its original name for a few years after ITV2 launched but then changed to ITV1 to help distinguish the 2 channels as separate.

It was changed to ITV1 to coincide with the launch of the ill fated ITV Digital, the ITV Sport Channel, and the many ITV spin-off's that were on the service, such as ITV Select.

I think if ITV was still using regional branding then ITV would sound better, but as they're focusing more on the ITV side of things nowadays, then ITV1 makes more sense IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I think even the MTV main (we don't play music anymore) channel has recently been renamed MTV1.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mikiec wrote: »
    I think even the MTV main (we don't play music anymore) channel has recently been renamed MTV1.

Think it was MTV One for a while but on my TV's EPG it just says MTV. We used to have MTV2 but I think that has been renamed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTV is a weird one! when digital TV first started their portfolio of channels included MTV and M2. M2 became MTV2 and played mostly rock music. a few years ago MTV became MTV ONE and MTV 2 became MTV TWO. then MTV ONE reverted back to MTV and in the past few months MTV TWO changed to MTV ROCKS.

I have no idea what happened to VH2 though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what happened to VH2 though!

VH2 was a decent music channel, shame it was so short lived, as for what happened to it...

VH2 became MTV Flux which became MTV One +1 which became MTV +1.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    BBC1 - changed from BBC Television Service in 1964 when BBC2 launched.
    ITV1 - changed in 2001 by which time the ITV brand was also being used on ITV2, ITV News, and ITV Sport channels.
    Sky 1 - rebranded from Sky Channel in 1989 (a year before the BSB merger) because of the launch of Sky News and Sky Movies.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV kept its original name for a few years after ITV2 launched but then changed to ITV1 to help distinguish the 2 channels as separate..

Like anyone could confuse them(!)

I still call the main one ITV, but then the number of times I watch it each week is generally zero.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Like anyone could confuse them(!)

I still call the main one ITV, but then the number of times I watch it each week is generally zero.

Same in our house, my mum tends to watch quite often (more than me anyway!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the ITV - ITV1 thing go back to it's regional days?

Once we had Central, Granada and Meridian to name only a few but then things became very national, would re-branding it's main channel make major changes obvious publicly?