Do People Really Think BB Needs A Break?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can understand the train of thought but not why people think its a good idea. Ive just seen so many posts that what BB needs to do now is take a couple of years off and then come back better than ever.

I just think that would be a mistake usually when a TV show "Takes a break" one of two things happens. They either get idolized in history for what they contributed then when brought back they never live up to expectations, Or most commonly people tend to remember the bad things associated with the show.

While BB holds a special place in our hearts it has made Plenty of mistakes. If people remember the bad things then no one will want it back anyway. The only safe way to ensure BB has any sort of future is to make sure its on our screens in 2011.

My opinion anyway what do you all think?

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think my enjoyment of the show in 2012 would be any more enhanced by it having a 2 year break.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure but the show has changed so much over the years. Eventhough I still enjoy it to a degree it's not the show I fell in love with and if one of the recent series were the first ever series I don't think that I would have stuck with the show like I have.

I want it to be about the experience again and not romances and not about getting deals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it should not return. It's an embarrassment!
  • .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have said give it a years break..it has 9 months anyway! I think the sooner it comes back with new ideas etc..the better!!! :D
  • indigomoonindigomoon Posts: 2,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand the train of thought but not why people think its a good idea. Ive just seen so many posts that what BB needs to do now is take a couple of years off and then come back better than ever.

I just think that would be a mistake usually when a TV show "Takes a break" one of two things happens. They either get idolized in history for what they contributed then when brought back they never live up to expectations, Or most commonly people tend to remember the bad things associated with the show.

While BB holds a special place in our hearts it has made Plenty of mistakes. If people remember the bad things then no one will want it back anyway. The only safe way to ensure BB has any sort of future is to make sure its on our screens in 2011.

My opinion anyway what do you all think?

I think it will be ok to come back next year as long as they make a few changes dropping dismal Chavina for instance :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    hmmm..not sure:rolleyes: i'm a BB fan, but even if it returns with a new format it would still have the same fame hungry wannabees that is now the norm in the house..just looking at the recent posts of the BB11 lot desperately clinging on to their 15 mins makes me wanna chuck:p
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are tired of the format. When it first appeared, Big Brother was fresh and original. Ten or eleven years later, it has run out of steam. Media interest has dropped away, ratings have fallen, folk have seen it all before. Of course, the show still has a lot of hardcore fans, as do most cult shows. I remember how devasted Dr Who fans were when that show was discontinued in 1987. It's sad for the fans, but they do soon move on, and the big TV channels have to look at the bigger picture.

Big Brother was a phenomenon. It smashed the entertainment media template, generated controversy and stimulated debate. It will go down in history as one of the most influential TV programmes. But you have to look to the future and not to the past. I think a day will come when it will return, as Dr Who did, but I think it would be best if that day is a long way off. If it is revived straight away in some inferior form, then I think that the product will only be lessened and cheapened.

It bowed out relatively gracefully and that was about right. Give it 15 or 20 years, and it's return will be a sensation again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Zeus wrote: »
    I think people are tired of the format. When it first appeared, Big Brother was fresh and original. Ten or eleven years later, it has run out of steam. Media interest has dropped away, ratings have fallen, folk have seen it all before. Of course, the show still has a lot of hardcore fans, as do most cult shows. I remember how devastated Dr Who fans were when that show was discontinued in 1987. It's sad for the fans, but they do soon move on, and the big TV channels have to look at the bigger picture.

Big Brother was a phenomenon. It smashed the entertainment media template, generated controversy and stimulated debate. It will go down in history as one of the most influential TV programmes. But you have to look to the future and not to the past. I think a day will come when it will return, as Dr Who did, but I think it would be best if that day is a long way off. If it is revived straight away in some inferior form, then I think that the product will only be lessened and cheapened.

It bowed out relatively gracefully and that was about right. Give it 15 or 20 years, and it's return will be a sensation again.

Great minds think alike....I agree wholeheartedly with your post....but I`d say 10ys....or there abouts....As a side note I`v watched virtually every episode of every series....apart from CBB1+2....and I`am old enough to have seen many great TV programmes fade into obscurity only to return in one form or another many years later....In fact the revamped shows are in many cases a lot better than the original.

ps...but by God I`ll miss BB....but it`s day has come and gone:(:cry:
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never wanted a break. :( i miss it already, good, bad and ugly.
    I think it could have been revamped/reworked without it ending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't need a break, it just needs producers and a broadcaster with half a clue. Up to BB7, the show maintained excellent viewing figures. It was only after the catastrophic production disasters than things slumped (Nikki's return, Jade & co into CBB5, all female start to the appalling BB8).

Turn the clock back to the moment they put the whole house up instead of ejecting Jayne and that's where things started to really go wrong (though they'd already put in housemates who clearly had issues that year).

Things could have been so different. The format of BB is pretty much like Dr Who - you can regenerate and keep things fresh. But C4 and Endemol firstly did ridiculous things which seriously damaged BB, then made matters worse by going too far the other way.
  • glitterlady08glitterlady08 Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs a break, it is getting too familair, too contrived now the excitement of it has gone. I am getting very censorious about the producers and edits some HMS get .:(

That awful crowd on friday night certainly needs to go :mad:

If it goes to channel 5 the quaility will go. Just more wannabes and fake romances.:(
  • 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy these "tired format" and "its all been done / seen before" excuses I keep reading everywhere. When you have a show which has a new cast every year, it's always going to stay new and fresh.

New people will always bring something new to the table and react to things in a different way. Dynamics will always be different. It's absolute nonsense to think we've seen every single type of personality on BB as everyone has a different one.

The way I see it, if you met a new person, you wouldn't immediately dismiss them as too similar as someone else and completely isolate yourself from them. No one is exactly the same and as such, BB IMO has the opportunity to run and run.

All it needs is new people working on the show and a new home. C4 and certain people at Endemol have been weighing down the show for years now. Using stale ideas that haven't been thought through and simplifying things too much.

The problem is things may seem the same because of what the producers have done to the show. They've watered it down to try and prevent all controversy. They've also over-simplified editing to the point that they're now casting people because they would work in the box they want them to, not because they stand out as a personality. They are creating stereotypes.

If they weren't so adamant on making someone the bitch, someone else the camp gay guy and someone else the resident airhead we probably wouldn't have people saying it's the same every year. That's not to say it doesn't have potential to be different each year though.

I am really looking forward to see what the future of the show brings if there even is one. Getting away from C4 as well as the same old producers year in year out (goodbye PEJ) will do the show the world of good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't need a break, it just needs producers and a broadcaster with half a clue. Up to BB7, the show maintained excellent viewing figures. It was only after the catastrophic production disasters than things slumped (Nikki's return, Jade & co into CBB5, all female start to the appalling BB8).

Turn the clock back to the moment they put the whole house up instead of ejecting Jayne and that's where things started to really go wrong (though they'd already put in housemates who clearly had issues that year).

Things could have been so different. The format of BB is pretty much like Dr Who - you can regenerate and keep things fresh. But C4 and Endemol firstly did ridiculous things which seriously damaged BB, then made matters worse by going too far the other way.

Completely agree with everything you said, although personally I'd rewind the clock to when they did all that HND nonsense which was unneccessary. Five newbies were not needed and was IMO where the producers started to lose the plot. I probably wouldn't have minded had Aisleyene actually evicted 4 of them and taken 1 in with her.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont buy into the notion of BB becoming Tired.
    because as long as the Selection of people is good the show is based on people sharing a house.its an ever changing story the one story that remained is Agent based Hm's who became clones of previous HM's.

its a bit like saying Wimbledon needs a break because you know one of the Williams sisters will make the final.it was an easy excuse to use just like the people who trashed Startrek.
    its never production is at fault.

its upto production to retain as many people as possible who tune into a Launch and keep them watching thats been the failure.
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    why are people talking about 'breaks' and so on, BB has finished hasnt it ?? over, done dusted, 6 foot under, wormfood. the end!
    im as devastated as the next BB fan, C4 should not of axed it IMO, but its gone, and people need to start accepting the fact.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it needs a slight break.

a) because bringing it back next year would likely damage the brand further as it makes a mockery of the "death of BB" hype.

b) The show needs a major overhaul and has to look like it's been reborn and reinvigorated....and that will take serious time and planning. A rushed, cheap, half assed relaunch next year on another channel... could kill the show forever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never see it Get mentioned.

Did C4 even try and save the show? BB germany started slumping they did a full reboot.
    Enterprise had loads of Attempts to save it.

C4 just sat back and instead of trying to help the show they just applied a little more pressure on the pillow,Yes having the live feed back was great but when did you see them tell people about it?

unless you went to the C4 website loads didnt even know about it.you had E4 making sure last years Reruns of films pushed coverage on E4 back to gone 1am on days they knew people would watch.

nearly every single person who played a part in BB ending on C4 either left shortly after or is leaving this year.It only takes C4's Raft of new shows to fail epic next year and on the current Track record that looks more likely.

C4 rely so much on Jamie and gordon its only a matter of time before people get more of that format being done a death.
  • casa_novacasa_nova Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    I think it only needed a break from 2 series a year to just one series of 10 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    No, I think it should come back next year. If people think there should be a break, then don't watch it next year and take your own break. Those who think it's awful/an embarrassment/rubbish, don't watch it ever again. I hate it when people tell me that something should be cancelled for "everyone's" benefit, when they can "cancel" BB out of their lives by not watching channel 4/channel 5 between 10 and 11pm during the summer.

I, for one, will be watching it as I like the show. Eastenders has been running for 25 years, Coronation Street for about 500 years, yet people don't seem to be as willing to call on it to cancel "for the greater good". I think they're both rubbish, but I simply don't watch them, as opposed to calling for their cancellation.
    :D:) :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    casa_nova wrote: »
    I think it only needed a break from 2 series a year to just one series of 10 weeks.

Yes, I agree there :)
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I'd like it to have a year out but I don't think it necessarily needs one, it certainly wouldn't hurt to move the show to the autumn next year so there's at least a slightly extended gap between the show's original carnation and the new one.
    casa_nova wrote: »

I'd like to see them alternate it, BB one year, CBB the next but thing is Five will want as you say 10+ weeks a year of the ratings boost BB, if well executed can provide it so alternating them would mean extending CBB to a length where no one anyone's heard of the participants, even more so than in recent years. Unless they introduced a replacement celeb after each eviction like on Coach Trip and had some guest-only stars.
  • jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard on very good authority that Channel 5 are not buying Big Brother - Endemol are asking far too much money. So, unless another channel decides to pay the money, Bif Brother is finished forever!!! So sad.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I'd rest it until 2013.
  • CHARMER1CHARMER1 Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    I dont believe that Iam saying this but I DONT want them to bring it back, every year I say Iam not getting into it but I do. I actually liked BB10 because you were restricted to the h/ls and late night viewing. I want to actually enjoy my own life and get out and about without thinking "what am I missing" its an addiction that if you are weaned off you can actually have more fun. :)

So, although Iam a massive fan, I will be happy to say goodbye and get my own life back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    its like saying Eastenders or Corrie or Wimbledon need a break.
    there are some shows out there DONT get tired only the people running the show.

I just watched Enterprise the last ep on Channel 1.the producers claimed the format was tired and people were fedup when the reality was they wrecked the show into a wall that ending proved it.

its the same with Big brother we've seen the last 2 years old tasks brought back but totally different outcomes and reactions because of different people doing it.IAC is still going strong and many would say its in much bigger danger of going stale because it hardly ever changes year on year.

they axed the show in a year there was crap coverage,a crap house and some REALLY poor Hm's.the entire Celebration theme was a joke.shows like Big brother never get tired or stale because its based on a group of people and how they interact.

its upto the producers to make sure the mix of people is always new and fresh and not trying to get clones of Hm's year on year.Agent placed Hm's played a massive factor in some people feeling the show had run out of steam because we were seeing traits in people we had seen from the previous year.