Post Christmas come down?

dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It is like we were building up to it for the best part of 2 months, then its over in a flash and we are left feeling like what now? Back to normality with a thump.

I remember as a child when we got 2 weeks of the entire 2 weeks seemed special and I didn't come down of the Christmas buzz until the Monday morning returning to school, I came back to normality with a thump yesterday and today just feels like a normal crappy Monday, like Christmas never happened. Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never had the Christmas come up. It's just a pain in the arse to be got out of the way for me.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes OP. I was just talking about this with my sister online yesterday. We were talking about the huge build up that does seem to start earlier and earlier (well, usually just after Halloween!) and how the Christmas songs start being played at the start of November etc etc and how after Boxing Day it all falls flat. We as a family have never really celebrated New Year in any kind of manner so even that is not something we would look forward to as the "event happening next" so yes, I feel a bit down too today.

We also don't do the December sales (although yesterday we did pop out to get something before the VAT rises next month!). Yes I always think that by the day after Boxing Day, everything looks a bit sad. The kids have lost interest in most of their presents, the turkey (or chicken in our case) has all gone and I have the urge to take everything down before the requisite 12 Days and do some Spring cleaning!
  • 555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come up, come down, are you on drugs? Are your neurotransmitters balanced?
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JanieB wrote: »
    Yes OP. I was just talking about this with my sister online yesterday. We were talking about the huge build up that does seem to start earlier and earlier (well, usually just after Halloween!) and how the Christmas songs start being played at the start of November etc etc and how after Boxing Day it all falls flat. We as a family have never really celebrated New Year in any kind of manner so even that is not something we would look forward to as the "event happening next" so yes, I feel a bit down too today.

We also don't do the December sales (although yesterday we did pop out to get something before the VAT rises next month!). Yes I always think that by the day after Boxing Day, everything looks a bit sad. The kids have lost interest in most of their presents, the turkey (or chicken in our case) has all gone and I have the urge to take everything down before the requisite 12 Days and do some Spring cleaning!

Thats exactly how I feel, I was actually contemplating taking the decorations down today, they all seem rather pointless now. New Years is a none event around here, we don't celebrate it either so that is essentially the fun over.
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always get really excited in the build-up because there's so much to do, and then the 27th it's usually the big come-down and I get really quite upset, but this year it's different - we're doing the pantomime after Christmas, namely Wednesday and Thursday and then the 14th and 15th January, so that's still something to look forwards to, and I get to see all my friends again, and I'm going shopping today, so there's plenty to be getting on with :)
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try and plan a few things in the days after Xmas to counteract this. My sons birthday is tomorrow and I normally have some family round after his party. It's after new year I find it all seems a bit sad as it's sort of officially over then.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I never had the Christmas come up. It's just a pain in the arse to be got out of the way for me.

totally agree with you,
    they force feed it to people the end of august.
    the shops have forced and forced the time they shut way back.not that long ago only furniture stores would even dream of being open Boxing day.

(hence why people got into the mode of buying loads of bread etc).its gone a total farce im pretty certain if the shops could open Christmas day they would.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    totally agree with you,
    they force feed it to people the end of august.
    the shops have forced and forced the time they shut way back.not that long ago only furniture stores would even dream of being open Boxing day.

(hence why people got into the mode of buying loads of bread etc).its gone a total farce im pretty certain if the shops could open Christmas day they would.

I think this is why Xmas isn't the same any more, it's just one day it seems now as everything is back to normal boxing day morning. It's only really the kids that get to appreciate the whole thing being a holiday.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tbh im relieved just the ridiculousness of the New Year to get through now and life is back to normal :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    I think this is why Xmas isn't the same any more, it's just one day it seems now as everything is back to normal boxing day morning. It's only really the kids that get to appreciate the whole thing being a holiday.

Yep I agree, The massive build up then its almost like on Boxing day its totally forgotten, like it never happened and life returns to normal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just on a high that it's over for another year... The anticipation to Christmas is great, but it never lives up to its promise and I'm always glad it's over by the end of the day.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    tbh im relieved just the ridiculousness of the New Year to get through now and life is back to normal :)

This. Only a few more days and the whole bloody charade is over with for another year.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to feel like that a few years back but these days I just don't get worked up about it in the first place.

I sing along to the songs on the radio, buy the mandatory presents, write a few cards and go and see the family on Christmas day; but apart from all that I'm not really bothered with it. I only get money and usual smellies/underwear as presents so it's not exiciting from that side and most the stuff on tv is pretty awful. As for the parties; i'm not a very good drinker these days so I try and avoid them.

Given the 2 month build up it's not surprising that a lot of people get depressed when it's suddenly over. It would be a lot better if we all reigned in this holiday a bit and waited till at least 1st December before getting involved.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean OP, but i do actually like the week between Xmas and New Year.

Christmas Day was busy and tiring. Boxing Day was still fun and looking at pressies, eating, drinking and watching TV.

My husband has now gone back to work (albeit part time), which is sad - but now you have a little normality (dog walking and chicken cleaning) mixed with fun. We have lots of choccies, cheese, biscuits etc around the house, so we have 'special' things to eat. We have lots of booze in. We have films to watch on Sky Plus. Its a nice time of year after the madness of christmas.

I dont like NYE either and I dont leave the house. But i do keep back a bottle of bubbly and some nice nibbles and we sit up until midnight so we can have a snog and then slope off to bed.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    Yep I agree, The massive build up then its almost like on Boxing day its totally forgotten, like it never happened and life returns to normal

Same! Popped to Brighton yesterday and am now sitting in my shop waiting for customers!! Now when does Easter start? :D
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait till NYD and for everything to return to normal.

This Christmas nonsense does my head in after a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    its the back to work, and getting back to normal i don't like :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    The trick is not to get remotely excited about it. I feel great now.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People seem to believe that Christmas begins after Bonfire Night and ends on Boxing day. It begins on the 25th December and ends on 12th night, the 6th January.

I suppose it's bit like Live Aid, Bob Geldof commented on how there had been a huge build up to the event, and then once people had begun to disperse he stood there thinking is that it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like this time between Christmas and New Year, I'm off work so it's just chill city! :) It's about mid January I start to feel a bit flat, I'm ready for summer by then but it's still a million miles away, Jan and Feb are my least favourite months of the year.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope! It's nice to be off work and relax, get some time to work on my writing, but then I'm normally quite happy and chipper all year round! Plus I get to enjoy the new SLR camera I've bought!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope! It's nice to be off work and relax, get some time to work on my writing, but then I'm normally quite happy and chipper all year round! Plus I get to enjoy the new SLR camera I've bought!!

With 3 toddler all playing up I wish I was back at work:(
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    seems to me that everything went last christmas and I never got any feeling for this year's..it's been a strange year..everything bores me now..even the internet
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    With 3 toddler all playing up I wish I was back at work:(

Well it comes with the territory of being a parent surely?
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes op, i know what you mean.

christmas eve, christmas day and boxing day are the main days, for most people they are busy, special, crazy, magical days, so once those 3 are over it can leave you on a come down.

tomorrow i am going for a christmas toby carvery meal with my sister and cousins. they are doing a festive fayre menu until new years eve. they have the christmas music on and it's a nice festive atmosphere so i'm looking forward to that, i do it every year and it helps me to stop feeling so down after it all.

i've recorded some christmas specials and there's lots of lovely food and drink in, so i'll spend the next few days still in the spirit of it all.

remember, it's still christmas until 6th january! (although it's finished for me on the 1st) celebrate and enjoy!