How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Yay! Another polish addict! :)
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,470
    Forum Member
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/13052011186.jpg/

Mine today, along with well worn hands, lol......

The pic doesn't do justice though
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Nice shade! What is it?

Simple but pretty today. Well I think. :p

My phone takes rubbish quality pictures. :(
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice nails ladies! I've got Opi Tickle My France-y on today. It's very smart and professional and subtle looking, which I feel is totally not me. Very dull. Oh well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    Here's the Solar Flare on my fingers:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5707087223/

This looks brilliant! I really want to try and recreate this for a party I've got coming up. I've found the glitter nail varnish, what is the name of the shade of the under coat gold varnish? Thanks!
    Love this thread!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got loads as well, but I hardly ever wear it.

I've got loads of makeup as well. :o
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,470
    Forum Member
    Nice shade! What is it?

It's another one of those china glaze ones. Not sure as I was given it. But I think it is Luna as it has that blueish tint to it as well as the glitter. I did have 3 base coats and 2 top coats too as I have terrible nails.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoboes wrote: »
    This looks brilliant! I really want to try and recreate this for a party I've got coming up. I've found the glitter nail varnish, what is the name of the shade of the under coat gold varnish? Thanks!
    Love this thread!

Thanks! I used China Glaze 2030, but there are are loads of others that would have a very similar effect. I have LOTS of golds. I tried them all out on different nails and they were all fairly similar really. I have Models Own 25 Carat Gold (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5207591122/in/set-72157625906268881), Models own Gold Digger (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/5211305415/in/set-72157625906268881), one by Bloom, one by Barry M, another American one I bought in Nashville, and one of those teeny weeny Max Factor ones. They all looked pretty similar once the glitter got plastered on top!
  • DrEllaDrElla Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    the title sounds like it's going to be something serious (like a glue sniffer or a fetish) and then it's just about you liking nail varnish! I have way more than you and it's not a problem, it's just part of being feminine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Has anyone ever found a chrome style polish? Something that looks like chrome (maybe gold or silver chrome) and not a frost like most polishes? I know that my wife has been looking for something like that for years and I would love to find something like that for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobotech wrote: »
    Has anyone ever found a chrome style polish? Something that looks like chrome (maybe gold or silver chrome) and not a frost like most polishes? I know that my wife has been looking for something like that for years and I would love to find something like that for her.

Yes! have I found a GOOD chrome? No!

Chromes are really hard to find, especially ones that actually are chrome. They tend to be hard to get smooth and chip quite easily too.

I have a bottle of L'Oreal Chrome Shine, which is nowhere near as good as the bottle looks. It's shade 342, but I think it might be discontinued, as I had mine ages ago. I just tried some on one finger, and it looks much duller than I'd expect in a chrome.

China Glaze do a Khrome collection, of which I have 2030, which is a gold colour. That one looks really good and I do like it, so I'd imagine the silver one would be worth trying, it's called Millenium:
    http://thenailphile.blogspot.com/2009/10/china-glaze-khrome-collection.html
    http://www.vampyvarnish.com/2009/10/china-glaze-khrome-collection-swatches-review/
    http://nailbling.tumblr.com/post/3035049337/millenium-by-china-glaze
    But this was from 2009, so it might not be easy to find.

I've found this on Amazon, never tried it though so I don't know if it's any good:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stargazer-Chrome-Metallic-Nail-Varnish/dp/B0025ST7NG

What I did notice in my local nail shop the other day was a brand new Opi colour, in their fancy (expensive) Designer Series range, that looked very shiny and silver and possibly chromey. I think it might have been DS Radiance:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neglelakkmani/4987654166/
    which I'm not sure is quite what you're after, but which has some good reviews online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I just reread and saw that you weren't limiting yourself to silver chrome! Gold chrome I would definitely recommend China Glaze 2030, I like it a lot, although it is hard to get it smooth all over, and you will need a good top coat.
  • KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I have been following this thread but not posting and when I saw this deal I thought of you ladies so maybe you'll appreciate it. I've ordered one of each to try as I have always wanted to but never could afford £8 for something that might not be any good. £1 is much more acceptable!

Sally Hansen nailcare for £1

P.S. I am wearing Rimmel 60 Second polish in Pulsating with little polka dots in light pink (think that one is Barry M Strawberry Ice cream). :D
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought another two Barry M nail polishes today from Superdrug (they have a 2 for £4.99 offer at the mo). They are 'Blue Moon', which is baby blue and 'Pink Iridescent', which is light pink glitter.

I noticed that they've got the Instant Nail Effects now in different colours (there was a blue and a pink, there may have been more). Have any one tried them, and are they any good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    My Sweet Life - I have the Barry M Instant Effects nail varnish in black. I think it looks great. You have to be quick applying it as it dries and crackles quickly, but it looks great. No two nails look the same!

Elanor - Thank you for all the gold tips...I found the China Glaze Solar Flare on amazon (I don't have any decent big shops that would stock it nearby) and have ordered a rather nice looking Barry M Gold polish to go underneath. Lovely! Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit of a nail polish hoarder, I have 106 :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally Hansen nailcare for £1

Wow, that's pretty good! Thank you. I do use some Sally Hansen treatment products, and they are good.
    Bought another two Barry M nail polishes today from Superdrug (they have a 2 for £4.99 offer at the mo). They are 'Blue Moon', which is baby blue and 'Pink Iridescent', which is light pink glitter.

I noticed that they've got the Instant Nail Effects now in different colours (there was a blue and a pink, there may have been more). Have any one tried them, and are they any good?

A woman in my office loves them. She has white, blue and pink. I'm not keen personally, but that's just me. I bought Opi Silver Shatter the other day, thinking it might be much nicer than ordinary crackle, but to me it just looks messy and chipped.
    zoboes wrote: »

Elanor - Thank you for all the gold tips...I found the China Glaze Solar Flare on amazon (I don't have any decent big shops that would stock it nearby) and have ordered a rather nice looking Barry M Gold polish to go underneath. Lovely! Thanks

Yay! Make sure you take photos when they come.
    I'm a bit of a nail polish hoarder, I have 106 :o

106? My god, that's made me feel better! Although I do now have 65. :o I discovered a shop in the market hall today that had Revlon and Bourjois varnishes for £1.20 each!

Have any of you seen what the nail bloggers seem to be calling 'skittle' manicures? Ie doing each nail a different colour, either all brights (like skittles) or all pastels? I had a go at pastels earlier on, with a pearly white, a pale blue, pale green, pale pearly pink and pale lilac. It looked really pretty, but then I managed to mess it all up by picking up a cat! I've taken it off now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've got the Nail Effects in black and in blue and my housemates have the white and pink. I think it's great. I've got the blue one over a black base at the moment and it looks great, dark and a bit Halloweeny. You have to get it right but it's definitely worth buying. It comes out exactly like the pictures for me.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks - I'll definitely buy one next time I go out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I bought Opi Silver Shatter the other day, thinking it might be much nicer than ordinary crackle, but to me it just looks messy and chipped.

Something that I noticed about my wife's shatter style polishes (she has black/white/red/purple). They look cool on longer nails. The problem is when you have super short nails. We have a boarder who is a young woman with super short bitten nails. She tried the black shatter and because her nails were so bitten short, they just looked chipped and messy like you described.

My wife has crazy long nails done with crystal clear tips and crystal clear acrylic so her nail tips without polish look like glass. When she put the black polish on them, they looked like stained glass when she held them up to the light.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do any of you know where I could buy a nail art brush? And are they any good? I love to do patterns on my nails but it's not easy using the normal sized brushes in nail varnishes! I just want a little pen like one to do fine lines.

At the moment my nails are striped light and dark blue (Barry M's Cobalt Blue and Navy). It came out much better than I expected considering I had the shakes from drinking too much last night. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm back with the promised list of polishes. £1 each plus postage - please DM me with orders,they're first come first served as I'm not sure how many of each I have left,

The colour chart is here

and these are the colours I have:

Iced Pink Parfait,
    Feelin Groovy,
    Twinkle Twinkle Periwinkle,
    Fuchsia Flash,
    Twilight Violet,
    Iced Plum,
    Roasty Toasty Taupe,
    Not Your Hum Drum Plum,
    Midnight Blue,
    Glitter Silver,
    Sweet as Sugar,
    Mulberry Mayhem,
    Yukon Gold,
    Blue Moonglo,
    Darkest Desire,
    Glitter Opal,
    Pink Flaminglo,
    You set My Heart Ablaze,
    Diamond's Diamonds.

You can also see some of them 'on' In this blog
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much is postage, Mrs_buckley? I'd be interested in a good few. And how would you like payment? I've never used any of that Paypal stuff in my life. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually do paypal, but if you trust me enough to send me a cheque I'm happy to do it that way. Postage I will just charge you what it costs me, which according to the RM website works out at £1.60 a bottle (first class parcel rate). :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! have I found a GOOD chrome? No!

Chromes are really hard to find, especially ones that actually are chrome. They tend to be hard to get smooth and chip quite easily too.

I have a bottle of L'Oreal Chrome Shine, which is nowhere near as good as the bottle looks. It's shade 342, but I think it might be discontinued, as I had mine ages ago. I just tried some on one finger, and it looks much duller than I'd expect in a chrome.

China Glaze do a Khrome collection, of which I have 2030, which is a gold colour. That one looks really good and I do like it, so I'd imagine the silver one would be worth trying, it's called Millenium:
    http://thenailphile.blogspot.com/2009/10/china-glaze-khrome-collection.html
    http://www.vampyvarnish.com/2009/10/china-glaze-khrome-collection-swatches-review/
    http://nailbling.tumblr.com/post/3035049337/millenium-by-china-glaze
    But this was from 2009, so it might not be easy to find.

I've found this on Amazon, never tried it though so I don't know if it's any good:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stargazer-Chrome-Metallic-Nail-Varnish/dp/B0025ST7NG

What I did notice in my local nail shop the other day was a brand new Opi colour, in their fancy (expensive) Designer Series range, that looked very shiny and silver and possibly chromey. I think it might have been DS Radiance:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neglelakkmani/4987654166/
    which I'm not sure is quite what you're after, but which has some good reviews online.

Maybelline do an awesome 2 step chrome, called Mirror Image, here's a pic of it on me,

Mirror Image

I got it on ebay so I'm sure you'll find it on there!