Man about the house Itv3 daily

Comments

• scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying that ITV edited the word poof out of a sitcom? :eek:

Can't believe that?
    Have you heard the language in the Inbetweeners :eek:

I can't really see the inbetweeners being on at late afternoon though tbh.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word wasn't offensive in 1973 and if anyone finds it offensive in 2012 they really should get a life.

It's deja vu The Dambusters all over again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great show, a true 70s classic - I'm well chuffed this is being re-run.
    (A tad overkill on the editing out of 'poof' though)

I had a huge crush on Jo back in the day as a nipper, when this originally aired.

Robin's cheeky mate Larry was always a big favourite too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Andy_G wrote: »
    It's been repeated loads of times of course, but it was a great series in it's day.

A randy young man shares a flat with 2 'dolly birds', this was actually quite shocking at the time believe it or not.

Mary Whitehouse 0, the permissive society 1.
    :D

It was very common for young men and women to flat share in the 1970s , it certainly wasn't shocking at all . Some of the Mary Whitehouse types may have made a fuss but they were in a huge minority
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Man about the House have the entire show on dvd:D:)

I think it began in '73 and went on through to '76 and spawned two offshoots, in George and Midred and Robin's nest, and while G&M seemed to enjoy moderqate success, Robin's Nest didn't fare that well. You don't see it repeated even on ITV3 [i didn't see it in the schedules too often over the years].Episodes of MATH seemed to be written only by it's creators Brian Cooke and Bottomley.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    ROBERT129 wrote: »
    the edit was last scene, when chrissy tells robin why roper agreed to let him flat share, she said the reason he agreed was because she told roper robin was a 'puff'

Surely cutting the last scene must have ruined the structure of the episode? I'm guessing the writer built up the confusion over Roper's change of heart during the episode, setting up the denouement with the 'poof' joke, so leaving it out must have left the episode confusing.

The number of things that get edited out of sitcoms is ridiculous.:eek:
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It`s interesting to see that he made no bones at all all of being permanently hoping to get somewhere with either of the girls, in a way which would be quite alien to tv today.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news. I can finally watch it after years of wanting to.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,581
    Forum Member
    :p
    vidalia wrote: »
    Oh that's quite sweet.

I could understand an edit if Roper had said "oh in that case we don't want him living here" but it was because he thought he would be 'safe' to live with two girls. That's wasn't homophobic then and it isn't now, just rather old fashioned.

A moment that did grate in the light if today's enlightenment, was when Robin went to shake George's hand and George retracted his hand as if he thought he'd catch something. :rolleyes:
    Mind you, I don't think 'puff' is a very nice euphemism, along with pansy & queer, rather insulting.
    I thought I was in for an afternoon of treats with 'Barbara', 'Duty Free' & MATH, but I'm afraid I'm finding the writing & the jokes all a bit lame now. Nice to see so many of the old familiar faces though :) I may stick with MATH, as it's a good excuse to sit down with a cuppa. :p
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    It was very common for young men and women to flat share in the 1970s , it certainly wasn't shocking at all . Some of the Mary Whitehouse types may have made a fuss but they were in a huge minority

I shared a flat with two fellers back in the 60's and no one turned a hair. They were Gay, admittedly, but they hid it then. One guy was so obvously gay, but the other one looked very rugged and straight. They were actually mates with one of my female friends, and we used to go out in a foursome together. We had some real fun times and it deeply saddened me that Gays were so persecuted then.
    And yet, when I got engaged and we were looking for a flat, landords wanted us to be married before they would rent to us. They thought it disreputable to be 'living in sin'. :D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recording MATH (along with Barbara and Duty Free) Since deleted Duty Free - it's aged terribly IMO.

It was good to see MATH again after all this time. Nice to see 'Bodybag' from Bad Girls in it today as well. :)
  • oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know that was 'Bodybag' from Bad Girls! I'm sure I've seen her in some Dick Emery sketches too.

Episode 2 was also edited. The bits where they turn on Robin's saucy lamp and you can see 'under' the dress! They cut out the bit when Robin first turns it on and then again when Chrissie's mum turns it on. Ridiculous.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    More edits!? Im going to have to go on you tube and see what exactly was cut. So annoying.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oranges71 wrote: »
    I didn't know that was 'Bodybag' from Bad Girls! I'm sure I've seen her in some Dick Emery sketches too.

Episode 2 was also edited. The bits where they turn on Robin's saucy lamp and you can see 'under' the dress! They cut out the bit when Robin first turns it on and then again when Chrissie's mum turns it on. Ridiculous.

Indeed she was. :)
    She often pops up on old sitcoms. Caught her on Rising Damp a while back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else that was cut from ep 2 was when Chrissie puts the phone down after her mum called and she tells Jo: '......she comes to check I haven't married a black man'. ITV3 really are butchering these screenings
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they edit the scene from the first series when Robin and his friend Larry go to the pub and pick up two girls the one Larry lands up with is Janine Davitski and she is a Gary Glitter fan.:eek:
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three words,

Sally Thomsetts Ass.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In ep 4, I'm surprised ITV3 did not edit out the following: when Robin recovers from his cold and did his 'play-acting' football in the living room with running commentary, he said something like '....It's Pele all whited-up'

btw, is anyone having problems on digispy with pages being re-directed to a website called testables.net? I've checked for viruses and malware but nothing. It's happening randomly everyday, only on digispy
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Will they edit the scene from the first series when Robin and his friend Larry go to the pub and pick up two girls the one Larry lands up with is Janine Davitski and she is a Gary Glitter fan.:eek:

Blimey, I've just had a flashback:eek:

Is that the the one where Larry's bird drinks barley wine (it's OK, kids, you won't have heard of that).

Larry tells her that he's a mechanic for a racing team, gets her back to his flat and offers to show her how to strip down an engine, using her as the engine. I can remember the line "First we remove the spark plugs".

Am I close or is the dementia more advanced than I thought?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, just what is the point of censoring 1970's comedy.

It's history, it happened, it was funny, still is :D but now we're supposed to have changed with the times.:confused:

Censoring living history.

MANIACS!

"They finally did it, Damn them all to hell".
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    oranges71 wrote: »
    In ep 4, I'm surprised ITV3 did not edit out the following: when Robin recovers from his cold and did his 'play-acting' football in the living room with running commentary, he said something like '....It's Pele all whited-up'

btw, is anyone having problems on digispy with pages being re-directed to a website called testables.net? I've checked for viruses and malware but nothing. It's happening randomly everyday, only on digispy

I think it's scandalous for ITV3 to air such a scene. I'm fuming and a fiery complaint to OFCOM is imminent, me thinks:mad:
    Forum Member
    Blimey, I've just had a flashback:eek:

Is that the the one where Larry's bird drinks barley wine (it's OK, kids, you won't have heard of that).

Larry tells her that he's a mechanic for a racing team, gets her back to his flat and offers to show her how to strip down an engine, using her as the engine. I can remember the line "First we remove the spark plugs".

Am I close or is the dementia more advanced than I thought?:D

Barley wine - oh my that takes me back! It was the 'cool' thing to drink back in the late 50's. Although I preferred it with lemonade. :o
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three words,

Sally Thomsetts Ass.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

Indeed [ drool drool ]

Resplendent in yellow today, and no VPL !!!
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7:15 into this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ex8yS_LCeI&feature=relmfu shows the scene cut from todays episode

"try and screw them for £100 quid and maybe we'll have a night out" was removed from ITV3
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it difficult to watch as most of the fashion was horrible in those days.

Polyester, itchy wool, tight jean/trousers with flare bottoms, etc.