Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winterfire, I have now seen your post because someone quoted it. As everything I seem to say you want to argue with in a hostile manner, I got fed up of it and just blocked your posts. Perhaps you could do the same courtesy for me :)

To everyone else, good luck with your continued weight loss :) Another weigh in for me tomorrow.... I maintained during half term week which was pretty good as I had four meals out!
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Welcome GoodLuckCharm. Good luck with the weight loss.

Welcome/Hello to everyone who has arrived while I was away from this thread for a bit.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck witht the weigh in Winter Fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weigh in this morning and a surprise 3lb down! 1lb more and I'll have done a stone since 8 Jan! Very happy with that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant, well done !
    Forum Member
    Thanks Molliepops for the good luck message further up.

I've gone down 1/2 a kg from 81.5kg to 81kg. This compares to 89kg before Christmas, and an 80kg initial target. Though, the closer I get to my target, the more I think that continuing down to 77kg is a good idea.

In stones I've gone from 14 stone before Christmas, to 12 stone 10 pounds now. Over the last week, I've lost a little bit more than a pound. Initial target is 12 stone 8 pounds, but I'll probably drop that to 12 stone 2 pounds.

After not expecting anything this week, I'm very pleased with this result.

Losing 0.5kg/1lb a week seems have become a regular pattern. In some ways I wonder if I could reduce calories a bit just to knock off the last little bit. But thinking about it rationally, I think that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' might be the correct strategy to apply here. If I plateau (or worse), then I'll rethink things. Otherwise, I'll just be patient.

On the plus side, after not going to the gym a bit because of aches, I had a gentle workout last night, and my aches actually got a bit better. I avoided using the rowing machine as the only time I felt any worrying pain was when I sat on it. Enough to make me decide not to use it. I found the cycle and running machines much better, even therapeutic. So perhaps it's using the rowing machine that made me a bit sore. The pains aren't worrying pains such as joint or chest pains, just quite noticeable muscle pains. But, I feel that I can go back now.

I was surprised how many calories the gym machines said that I burned for relatively short periods of easy exercise. About 300 kcal in total. If those machines are accurate, then I can see how much they can aid weight loss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's not bad WF they say it's more likely to stay off if you lose it slowly so you may well be a success story at the end of this not a yoyo dieter like many people are !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well after messing around for 2 months with MyFitnessPal and then 5:2 and losing weight and putting it back on with interest I have rejoined Weight Watchers.
    It seems the only way I can stick to anything for more than a week is to hand over my hard earned money.
    Feeling very determined this time round, will report back next week on how it's going on the scales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use MFP as a tool to record food only really, the forum isn't very supportive too many people trying to say their way is the only way to do it and no idea who they are talking to when they say it.

WW wouldn't work for me but it is great for many people.

I can't say I have tried the 5:2 but I think I would put weight on if I did !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I use MFP as a tool to record food only really, the forum isn't very supportive too many people trying to say their way is the only way to do it and no idea who they are talking to when they say it.

WW wouldn't work for me but it is great for many people.

I can't say I have tried the 5:2 but I think I would put weight on if I did !

I've lost weight with loads of diets in the past and put it all back on.
    The best weight losses have been with WW and Slimming World when ive been attending the classes and those times the weight regain has been much slower.
    It's basically all psychological though, if the NHS put as much effort into weight loss as they put into smoking cessation that would be a help. It's no good giving me a diet sheet, I know what I need to do I just don't do it!
    I find the Minimins site quite good for information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    The best weight losses have been with WW and Slimming World when ive been attending the classes and those times the weight regain has been much slower.
    It's basically all psychological though, if the NHS put as much effort into weight loss as they put into smoking cessation that would be a help. It's no good giving me a diet sheet, I know what I need to do I just don't do it!

I'm on Slimming World at the moment :) if I lose my 1lb next week I'll have lost 1stone in total since 8 Jan 13 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    I'm on Slimming World at the moment :) if I lose my 1lb next week I'll have lost 1stone in total since 8 Jan 13 :)

Well done.
    If you plan your meals well and are prepared its a really easy plan to follow.
    I always used to cook extra so I had meals ready in the freezer.
    Forum Member

I think you and Molliepops make some good points about various diets working for some people and not for others. We had a similarly interesting conversation on this thread before about treats being important for some people, but not working for others.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that 'it's basically all psychological though'. Different people think and act differently, and that's going to affect the potential success (or not) of any diet.

Personally I just don't feel inclined to try the 5:2 diet. I wouldn't like having two days with only 600 calories, and I wouldn't like to have so many days when I wasn't tracking how many calories I was eating. But a lot of people have had success with it, and I can see how it would work well for someone who doesn't over-compensate on the non-diet days.

While I'm not using them, I like the idea of the systems used by WW. It simplifies things down, unlike the calculations I'm about to do on my computer to see how much I've eaten today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know one of my colleagues in work has last a couple of stone on the 5:2 but I just couldn't last on it. I just obsessed about food all day when I was on 500 cal days.
    I'm hoping this time around I will get into healthy eating that I can continue for life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member

I am just wondering did you feel depressed, lethargic and fatigued when you were on the 5:2 diet? Gaining back the weight you put on is a common thing that happens to most people who don't understand how metabolism and nutrition works. Losing a lot of weight over a short period of time is not the right way I know its a pain but its a fact and you are more likely to get excess skin too if you lose the fat too quickly. Most people who are on these programs are not really taught about nutrition and how it works for your body hence why calorie restriction has become so popular.

Try using protein powder shakes they really do help with controlling your cravings and add the protein powders with some fruits to make a smoothie. That's what I have its taste delicious too and its very easy and quick to make.

Personally I wouldn't try a 5:2 diet it just looks so unhealthy and your body needs a lot of nutrients (as in carbs and protein) to do the following
    1. Repair any damaged tissues if you exercise
    2. Keep your body functioning at peak efficiency
    3. Your brain needs carbs and the protein to keep you alive
    4.Fat loss and hence you lose weight and gain muscle

I know that i was eating just 2 meals a day as in Weetbix at the start of the day and then some indian food later in the night i still got fat but I felt so lethargic and depressed and I started to get dark circles under my eyes and sunken eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Progrez wrote: »
    I am just wondering did you feel depressed, lethargic and fatigued when you were on the 5:2 diet? Gaining back the weight you put on is a common thing that happens to most people who don't understand how metabolism and nutrition works. Losing a lot of weight over a short period of time is not the right way I know its a pain but its a fact and you are more likely to get excess skin too if you lose the fat too quickly. Most people who are on these programs are not really taught about nutrition and how it works for your body hence why calorie restriction has become so popular.

Try using protein powder shakes they really do help with controlling your cravings and add the protein powders with some fruits to make a smoothie. That's what I have its taste delicious too and its very easy and quick to make.

Personally I wouldn't try a 5:2 diet it just looks so unhealthy and your body needs a lot of nutrients (as in carbs and protein) to do the following
    1. Repair any damaged tissues if you exercise
    2. Keep your body functioning at peak efficiency
    3. Your brain needs carbs and the protein to keep you alive
    4.Fat loss and hence you lose weight and gain muscle

I know that i was eating just 2 meals a day as in Weetbix at the start of the day and then some indian food later in the night i still got fat but I felt so lethargic and depressed and I started to get dark circles under my eyes and sunken eyes.

I actually felt OK on the 5:2- just hungry.
    There is actually a lot of science behind it and supposed health benefits.
    Your body can actually get all the nutrients it needs on the other 5 days.
    As I say it wasn't right for me but I think it would be beneficial for other people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it wouldn't work for me basically because before a diet I tend to think eat all the things I like the day or so before I start as I may not have them for a long time, if I did that every week no calories at all on two days would be too many :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I think it wouldn't work for me basically because before a diet I tend to think eat all the things I like the day or so before I start as I may not have them for a long time, if I did that every week no calories at all on two days would be too many :o

But it's only one day that you fast so you don't feel the need to overeat the day before as you know you can eat what you want the following day.
    I found that my calories actually reduced on the days I could eat.
    Saying that I'm not an expert as I only did 2 weeks.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    morning all, hope all well..im still sticking to my 1400 calories a day, it was 1200 but i was still hungry so ive upped it and im now off to the gym for a good workout
    saying that im down from 67.1 to 66.2 in a week so im pleased with that:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it's only one day that you fast so you don't feel the need to overeat the day before as you know you can eat what you want the following day.
    I found that my calories actually reduced on the days I could eat.
    Saying that I'm not an expert as I only did 2 weeks.

At this point I can say I completely understand that but I can also say if I did it I cannot guarantee my issues with food would not overwhelm me and send me into that spiral. I am doing well at the moment and cannot risk it. Perhaps if my issues go away (not sure if that ever happens). but for me now it would be a huge risk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on but having started to fail on Weight Watchers (after losing a stone in January), I've given up and eaten what the hell I liked in the past 10 days, including things I don't normally have becuase of migraines like chocolate, wine and cake, stopped walking so much (just half way and then got the bus) and I've LOST 4lb. I've even gone down a bit on measurements a well which is rare for me. My BMI was 35 at the start of the year. It's now 32. Perhaps I can get it down to 30 by not dieting.

Weightwatchers is going out the window for sure (even though I paid for 3 months). I've tried 3 times (twice on the old points and once on the new) and I've never lost more than a stone and have been constantly hungry - so it's not for me. The experiment with new points was worth doing though as it'll stop me wondering if I should pay out in the future - the answer is a resounding no.

Now the problem I have is the amount of money I've spent on pizza hut and dominos in the past 10 days, as the takeaway boxes in my kitchen will testify. :o

You have been lucky to lose weight. You know that you won't continue to lose weight if you eat pizza. Maybe because you've been dieting you are not actually eating as much as you think.
    If you've paid for weight watchers for 3 months just get back on it and give it another month. If you are hungry fill up on fruit and veg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on but having started to fail on Weight Watchers (after losing a stone in January), I've given up and eaten what the hell I liked in the past 10 days, including things I don't normally have becuase of migraines like chocolate, wine and cake, stopped walking so much (just half way and then got the bus) and I've LOST 4lb. I've even gone down a bit on measurements a well which is rare for me. My BMI was 35 at the start of the year. It's now 32. Perhaps I can get it down to 30 by not dieting.

Weightwatchers is going out the window for sure (even though I paid for 3 months). I've tried 3 times (twice on the old points and once on the new) and I've never lost more than a stone and have been constantly hungry - so it's not for me. The experiment with new points was worth doing though as it'll stop me wondering if I should pay out in the future - the answer is a resounding no.

Now the problem I have is the amount of money I've spent on pizza hut and dominos in the past 10 days, as the takeaway boxes in my kitchen will testify. :o
    The reason you feel hungry is not weight watchers' fault, it's because you don't understand diet and nutrition properly so make an effort to educate yourself. Even if you are losing weight eating junk, it's not healthy, and will takes its toll on your body. If you are feeling hungry, you need to fill up on foods that will keep you full and provide slow release energy, so for example, a meal of lean protein, complex carbs and veg. It's drives me dotty when people say 'so and so diet doesn't work for me' when it's not the diet or healthy eating plan that's not working, it's them. I can't honestly believe you think cutting back exercise and eating take away is the way to be slim and healthy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find it much easier to diet when the sun is out, these dank cold days drive a lot of people to over eat IMO. Perhaps that is part of your problem ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you would benefit from a more structured approach ? Plan what you are going to eat each day and don't buy anything not on the plan. I have been doing that it hasn't taken long before I just cannot eat like I used to I get full much quicker having had smaller meals for a while now.

Also when I feel hungry I have a large drink and go for a walk in the fresh air, can just be thirst sometimes rather than true hunger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your problem is that you are always hungry maybe you could set yourself goals. Say you eat at 11am tell yourself that you will wait until 2pm before you eat again and then say 6pm. Try and be sensible in what you eat but don't put too much of a constraint on yourself.