Solheim Cup 2013

13»

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final score was 18 - 10 to Europe, who actually ended up winning the singles round and extending there lead further...:p
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Europe can continue to spank the Americans as much as they want at Ryder/Solheim cups. But America will continue to win most of the majors. Depends on what you regard as more important. Would Tiger and Phil give up a few majors so they can win a few more Ryder Cups?

I think that they are all important in different ways, tbh. They are pretty different beasts. America golfers aren't typically good team players and as the standard of golf in Europe has improved over the last couple of decades it's started to show itself in the events. I doubt Woods would give up one of his majors if the life of a child depended on it. Mickelson I'm not so sure. In recent years I think he has started to get the Ryder Cup more.

No doubt the fact that three of the four majors are held on US soil has benefited the american golfers down the years, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

Also in womans golf, in the last three years, only one american has won a major - Stacy Lewis having taken 2 - as south korea have dominated and in the decade that preceded that Sweden were the dominant force and Europeans took more major titles overall.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would argue the asian domination you're seeing in the womens game is preview of what will happen in the mens game in future years.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Europe can continue to spank the Americans as much as they want at Ryder/Solheim cups. But America will continue to win most of the majors. Depends on what you regard as more important. Would Tiger and Phil give up a few majors so they can win a few more Ryder Cups?

Hmm Americans have won 6 of the last 16 majors in Mens Golf and the South Koreans hoover up most of the ladies majors, so I don't know where you got that little nugget from.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Hmm Americans have won 6 of the last 16 majors in Mens Golf and the South Koreans hoover up most of the ladies majors, so I don't know where you got that little nugget from.

I was talking in comparison to europeans. Like I say 7 out of the last 9 ryder cups have gone to europe, however in that timeframe US have won 45 majors to europes 13.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So happy for Europe! They did so well and I'm very proud of them :D

I'm not much of party goer but I'm riddled with jealousy that I couldn't be at the party last night. Bet they're all gonna wake up with one massive headache :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/6386335.stm

Just goes to show that learning is much childs play.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,211
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Liselotte Neumann will want to stay on as captain for the 2015 event in Germany, or will she step down. If she does decide to step down then I wonder if they will give it to Annika Sorenstam.

Was very impressed with the classy way Meg Mallon handled the US defeat
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a brilliant watch, Europe were awesome. Good a bit nervous at one point but very convincing win in the end.

Great team performance obviously but some very good individual performances.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    I wonder if Liselotte Neumann will want to stay on as captain for the 2015 event in Germany, or will she step down. If she does decide to step down then I wonder if they will give it to Annika Sorenstam.

Was very impressed with the classy way Meg Mallon handled the US defeat

Annika was very coy over that in her interview after the winning out, so I wouldn't rule her out just yet.

She would definitely bring a bit of media with her, as she is still a star name.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,211
    Forum Member
    Annika was very coy over that in her interview after the winning out, so I wouldn't rule her out just yet.

She would definitely bring a bit of media with her, as she is still a star name.

And a legend in ladies golf. I think Laura Davies would make a good captain too