Options

Themed Lego… Why?

Comments

• Options
    CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the Star Wars license saved them from going under, and current licenses keep them afloat.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Better options?
    Yes better options.
  • Options
    Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    • Doesn't produce anything remotely close to an accurate replica of the thing it's supposed to be.

Well no... it's Lego, not Airfix. It approximates rather than imitates.
    • Doesn't provide kind of creativity or imagination (since you just follow instructions).
    Completely wrong. It gives you instructions to build the object you've bought. But usually includes some additional pics of things you could create. But really, if it's giving you instructions then you're not using your imagination. The point of Lego is it encourages creativity by allowing any piece to stick to any piece. If anything, the instructions just give you an idea of how you can utilize pieces to make something new.
    • Doesn't provide "generic pieces" that can be used to create new things (since it's mostly custom parts).
    Nope - I'd say 95% of the parts in the themed kits are generic Lego. My BTTF car I think only has a couple of custom parts and that's mainly decoration for the licence plates and time travel circuits.
    • Cannot be seen as a poor-man's alternative to a model kit (since it's expensive).
    Disagree entirely. The problem with a standard model kit is all you can build is the model. And you can do it only once. You can combine Lego with a few other kits and let your imagination go crazy.
    Think of all the good that could be done with £179, all the hungry children that could feed.

So you wouldn't pay for a Lego crucifixion kit if one were available?

There's even a Lego Bible.

Seriously, you can't begrudge people who enjoy this wanting to spend a little money on it. If you're serious and think it's more important that people give money to charity rather than building up a collection, perhaps you can petition the Vatican to sell off its collection or art?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Yes better options.

Such as.....
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for Playboy lego to come out.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I never owned a single piece of Lego as a child (my friend next door had lots of it and we shared that.)

But in recent years I have come to love collecting Lego related stuff and have a Lego radio, a big 'Yellowhead' storage container, various giant Lego brick boxes, a torch, keyrings, mousemat, earrings etc, etc.

If I could afford them, I'd buy the special edition Lego toys, I love the stuff.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes better options.

Using lego as a creative outlet is no more or less valid than using paint or anything else.

Art is not about the medium used to create it.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's worthless though :)

My son loves Lego whatever variety it comes in. He likes the tie in Lego branded sets because he can build something he's seen while playing the Wii Lego Star Wars or Pirates of the Caribbean games or from watching those films. But he equally likes the stuff that's just "normal" Lego because he can make whatever he likes out if it.

Just to add, one of my friends works for Lego as a designer and when they were doing the Duplo Disney Cars themed sets, she sent my son a signed box of the set she'd personally designed for his birthday. That's one of his prized possessions :)
    Indeed, I just bought my son a lego train set for £100; so yes it's expensive but I know he'll get so much happiness out of it, it's more than worth it. Regarding the cost generally, if someone can afford it why not? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Apperently, if you go on the lego website, you can order your own custom lego set.

Anybody up for a DSGD lego set?
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I think (for balance) I need to state for the record that Lego was my favourite toy as a kid (back in the 80s). I had castles, space, Technics, trains and a whole lot of Lego Town (my favourite). I don't know how much my parents spent on it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and consider it a good investment.

I loved the flexibility of it. It was mostly generic pieces and I used it to be totally creative and make my own toys. For me, it was a means to an end.

But these fans of themed/licensed Lego don't seem to see Lego as a means to an end, but rather they seem to like the combination of film franchises with the Lego style. I'm not really talking about kids, I'm talking about these adults who "must own" a Lego Star Wars set because it combines Lego and Star Wars. That's what I don't get. I mean I love both Lego and Star Wars, but I do not understand why anyone would want a Lego Star Wars videogame.
    Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's worthless though :)
    No, I'm not saying it's worthless to other people because clearly it isn't.
    Just to add, one of my friends works for Lego as a designer and when they were doing the Duplo Disney Cars themed sets, she sent my son a signed box of the set she'd personally designed for his birthday. That's one of his prized possessions :)
    How sweet :)
    Children like creating stuff, and lego allows them to do it.
    Children like stuff with their favourite characters on it.
    Fair points, but to me it seems like a compromise on both counts. (And I was actually thinking more of adults than children, since the licensed sets are presumably aimed more at the adult market.)
    Tictac2 wrote: »
    I'd say 95% of the parts in the themed kits are generic Lego. My BTTF car I think only has a couple of custom parts and that's mainly decoration for the licence plates and time travel circuits.
    Perhaps I am mistaken? I got the impression that the themed sets had a lot more custom parts, making it almost impossible to build things other than what is on the box. Maybe I am wrong here and there are sufficient generic blocks to build other things?

Though I still don't get why people go so crazy for the themed stuff. I'm talking about the level of obsession and sheer hysteria that it causes in some people. I've heard so many people say things like "Oh my God, a Lego Simpsons house, all my dreams have finally come true. I'll pay anything for that!" I suppose it's those "dreams" that I don't get.
    So you wouldn't pay for a Lego crucifixion kit if one were available?

There's even a Lego Bible.
    Hmmm. Odd, irreverent, and somewhat disturbing. What's next? German Holocaust Lego set?
    Seriously, you can't begrudge people who enjoy this wanting to spend a little money on it. If you're serious and think it's more important that people give money to charity rather than building up a collection, perhaps you can petition the Vatican to sell off its collection or art?
    Well I'm not begrudging people, I just don't like the idea of large amounts of money being wasted. That is my opinion and that is how I feel. But there's no point me trying bother people about it. They love buying expensive toys and I can't change their desires.

As for the Vatican, as a Christian I find that all utterly disgraceful. The same for any Christians who indulge (eg expensive crucifix jewellery or fancy cars). I would encourage these people to pray and meditate over scripture such as Matthew 6:24 ("no one can serve two masters"). I would question whether they had truly repented to God and whether God was really first in their life. If there are (respectful) anti-Vatican petitions I'd gladly sign them, but creating petitions is not what God has called me to do right now.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not understand why anyone would want a Lego Star Wars videogame.

Because people enjoy them? Surely that's the only way to judge the worth of an entertainment product? You can equally say why anyone would want any sort of video game (or book, or music, or film, or sport...)
    Well I'm not begrudging people, I just don't like the idea of large amounts of money being wasted. That is my opinion and that is how I feel. But there's no point me trying bother people about it. They love buying expensive toys and I can't change their desires.

Everybody who has disposable income wastes it on something - if you can call spending money on something that gives you enjoyment wasting it. Unless you give absolutely every spare penny you have away it's slightly hypocritical to criticise people for spending their own money on something you personally think is worthless.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive Simpsons fan but even I bulked at £130 for the Simpsons house.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if LEGO's future is under threat with the advent of 3D Printers? The building instructions for any set are already available on the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member

As for the Vatican, as a Christian I find that all utterly disgraceful. The same for any Christians who indulge (eg expensive crucifix jewellery or fancy cars). I would encourage these people to pray and meditate over scripture such as Matthew 6:24 ("no one can serve two masters"). I would question whether they had truly repented to God and whether God was really first in their life. If there are (respectful) anti-Vatican petitions I'd gladly sign them, but creating petitions is not what God has called me to do right now.

I would point you in the direction of Matthew 19:21. Sell all your possessions.

But I guess people pick and choose which bits of the Bible they want to build their faith on.

A bit like Lego really.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Wonder if LEGO's future is under threat with the advent of 3D Printers? The building instructions for any set are already available on the internet.

True, but what about painting the pieces? Probably work out cheaper in time and money just to buy the set, but handy if you loose a piece or two
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because people enjoy them?
    I realise that some things are beyond explanation. Like, no one has ever been able to explain to me why football is so fascinating. Maybe the appeal of themed Lego simply can't be explained, but I was only curious. If someone asked me why I liked, say, Doctor Who, I would attempt to give an answer. Though I'm starting to think I may not have phrased the question very well.

So instead I am going to ask a different question: is the appeal of themed Lego more about having a consistent, universal construction method, or more about having a consistent, universal visual style? For example, given the choice, which would you rather have:

1. A Simpsons Lego set just like the one on sale, only it has slightly different size blocks and so it can't be combined with other Lego.

or

2. A Simpsons Lego set just like the one on sale, (with the same block sizes) only it has far more detail, realism and articulation, and doesn't look identifiable as "Lego", having no blocky surfaces.

This will help me understand.
    Everybody who has disposable income wastes it on something - if you can call spending money on something that gives you enjoyment wasting it.
    Well not "everybody", but yes, most people spend money on leisure. But almost all would agree that, say, spending £100,000 on a fancy coat would be an idiotic and excessive waste of money. I suppose it just depends what one's personal definition is of "squandering money". For me, I happen to feel that way about spending hundreds of pounds on a simple plastic toy.
    I would point you in the direction of Matthew 19:21. Sell all your possessions.

But I guess people pick and choose which bits of the Bible they want to build their faith on.
    Are you suggesting that there are parts of the Bible I don't agree with? I assure you that is totally not the case. I agree with every single word of the Bible, the true Word of God, and I live in obedience to Jesus, including His instruction to "sell all your possessions".

However, if you think (as some do) that Jesus taught that no one should own anything at all, and that Jesus and the apostles had no possessions, and walked around naked scavenging for food, then I might suggest you need to pray more over the scripture. Simply reading all of Matthew 19, as well as Luke 18 and 19 would shed a lot of light on it. For a start, Jesus was talking to a very rich man who lived in luxury, not a humble life. And Jesus never asked this of anyone else he met, including Zacchaeus, whom He encountered later on that journey.

Righteousness does not come by observing rules, but by repenting of sin and coming in faith to Jesus Christ, who imparts righteousness through his Holy Spirit :) The New Testament teaches spiritual truth about love, not a set of laws. Those Christians who give to the poor don't do it out of any sense of religious obligation, it is done out of sincere love, because God's love has changed them.

Had the apostles such as Paul not owned writing materials, we wouldn't have a New Testament. Likewise, did I not own a Bible and a pen and paper and a computer, I would not be able to serve God in the way He has called me to serve him.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but what about painting the pieces? Probably work out cheaper in time and money just to buy the set, but handy if you loose a piece or two

Thought much the same until I seen this baby... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/28/full_colour_3d_printer/

Prices will come down and speed will go up.

For now though yeah, good for lost pieces.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps I am mistaken? I got the impression that the themed sets had a lot more custom parts, making it almost impossible to build things other than what is on the box. Maybe I am wrong here and there are sufficient generic blocks to build other things?

No they're mostly generic pieces with just a few specific ones as applies to the "whatever" theme it is. My son builds the "whatever" model it's supposed to be first (mostly with Lego City, Lego Pirates and Lego Star Wars) and then he breaks them up and uses them to build other stuff.
    I should point out he's only nearly six though, so obviously the Lego he is bought is the 4-6, 7-9 or 8-12 stuff rather than the open aged sets.
  • Options
    Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Lego as a kid building loads of different things but with all these model sets kids now seem to have no interest in building things, well my nieces and nephews anyway.

They requested sets for Birthdays/Christmas but they would never want to put them together. I had to build them, starting with the smaller objects so they would go away and play with them while I built the bigger item. I stopped buying them in the end and just bought ready made models.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    OP, what is this obsession with wanting people to 'explain' things to you?

Either:

A: Try it, like it, get with the programme.

B: Try it, don't like it and move on.

C: Accept that everyone has different interests and enjoyments and you do not have a divine entitlement for people to explain things to you until you are convinced.

D: Accept that where millions of people enjoy something, your lack of comprehension is really not important.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    OP, what is this obsession with wanting people to 'explain' things to you?.
    Maybe he has discovered crowd sourcing? Although, since this is a discussion forum, why can't he ask questions? Why not just not answer his questions if you don't like his style?
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Such as.....

stickle bricks
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have loved some kind of Lego doll's house, with furniture and Lego dolls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    OP, what is this obsession with wanting people to 'explain' things to you?
    Well since you want me to 'explain' it to you, read this:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conversation

I don't know what your idea is of making conversation with strangers, but to me it's about discussing our interests and feelings about things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    However, if you think (as some do) that Jesus taught that no one should own anything at all, and that Jesus and the apostles had no possessions, and walked around naked scavenging for food, then I might suggest you need to pray more over the scripture. Simply reading all of Matthew 19, as well as Luke 18 and 19 would shed a lot of light on it. For a start, Jesus was talking to a very rich man who lived in luxury, not a humble life. And Jesus never asked this of anyone else he met, including Zacchaeus, whom He encountered later on that journey.

I think I like the sound of these feral apostles. I'm picturing naked Jesus leading them round Judea, rooting through bins and scarpering when they accidentally knock them over and wake the owners. It would make what the Pharisees did a bit like pest control. There'd be signs up in parks saying "Please do not feed the apostles!".

Meanwhile, there's Judas on his own. Playing with his Star Wars themed Lego.

The rotter.