Ken Bruce

JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
Forum Member
Hilarious - Ken Bruce just had a troll on Pop Master.

Lady with a posh voice who claimed to be retired and her hobbies were knitting and parachute jumping!!

I've been listening to Ken for years and never heard the like.

Comments

• ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    Pop Master does seem to attract some dubious types from time to time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Makes you wonder how people like that get on, it was obvious from the off they were taking the piss!

Got a few laughs in this house!
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I wonder what the 'contestant' had planned.

I take it R2 doesn't have a delay?
  • pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what happened is it? The postman had just been and I was going through the post. Radio was in a different room and I couldn't hear the conversation. Thought it sounded like an old woman and came into the room just as they were cut off. Wonder if it will be on iplayer?
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its completely live and the funny thing is its the reserchers who pick the contestants i bet they got a good telling off.Ken handled it well though i thought :D
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that the researchers let it through. Unless they were in on the joke? ;)
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contestants phone in and then if they get picked will get a phone back and have to answer 3 questions. I would have said Noel Edmonds back with the Gotchas, but he's not doing it anymore. Steve Penk who own 96.4 The Rev and does Wind up's on the station. Ken didn't sound amused by it. It shame it never carried on.

I wonder if the person will be revealed?
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    It was probably Wogan or Jimmy Young at home and bored :D
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we absolutely sure this was a wind up?

My friends mum talks a bit like that, she seems the quiet, mild mannered type, but is really quite adventurous, doing things like surfing and swimming in the sea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    One day, I will open up a thread that simply says 'Ken Bruce' and I will read the news that I am hoping to hear.

Today wasn't that day.
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Contestants phone in and then if they get picked will get a phone back and have to answer 3 questions. I would have said Noel Edmonds back with the Gotchas, but he's not doing it anymore. Steve Penk who own 96.4 The Rev and does Wind up's on the station. Ken didn't sound amused by it. It shame it never carried on.

I wonder if the person will be revealed?

Eh? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Ray Bentos wrote: »
    One day, I will open up a thread that simply says 'Ken Bruce' and I will read the news that I am hoping to hear.

Today wasn't that day.

Not a fan then?
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    Are we absolutely sure this was a wind up?

My friends mum talks a bit like that, she seems the quiet, mild mannered type, but is really quite adventurous, doing things like surfing and swimming in the sea.

People can now judge for themselves. :)

It starts at 1 hour 8 mins, iPlayer link here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tq0c6/Ken_Bruce_15_09_2010/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    No its completely live and the funny thing is its the reserchers who pick the contestants i bet they got a good telling off.Ken handled it well though i thought :D

HE handled it very well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HE handled it very well

I immediately thought something wasnt quite right, but hey, suppose this was a genuine "lady" with a dodgy voice (there are other possibilities of course apart from a troll)....
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a second listen, on decent quality headphones I'm favouring 'troll', proberbly a male too.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened again via the i-player, very odd. Feel sorry for the person If she was a real contestant, suppose Ken couldn't afford to take the risk. :confused:
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    On a second listen, on decent quality headphones I'm favouring 'troll', proberbly a male too.

I was wondering if it was a man too. He could have had a sign from the other side of the glass to pull the plug. We obviously don't know what the conversation was between the 'contestant' and the researcher.

I wasn't sure about the stammer either.
  • RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounded to me like a 30-something man pretending to be an old woman. The funny part for me was when Ken rumbles 'her' so quickly!

Poor Ken was clearly a bit flummoxed by the messing up of his show's timings though- he gave the wrong score out at the end! Luckily he noticed and apologised, and the other guy is going to get an MP3 player too.
  • MrDMrD Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Contestants phone in and then if they get picked will get a phone back and have to answer 3 questions.

I was on Popmaster last year. I phoned in a couple of times, gave them my name each time and was asked 3 questions each time. I got 2 out of 3 a few times (you have to get at least 2 out of 3 to qualify). The researcher then asked me a whole load of stuff about life, work and music tastes - and then he told me to stand by as I may be called back.

Anyway, the day finally came. After getting the intial 2 out of 3 correct, I was called back and was invited to play on air. The researcher called me back, then put me through to the producer; he then put me through to a studio engineer who tested the line sound and quality and that was it. Eventually, 10:30 came and I was on - I was actually the second contestant.

If today is anything to go by, the dodgy contestant had a few hoops to get through. Of course, it's entirely possible that the contestant acted "normal" and then only started to be a bit odd live on air. Maybe the researcher and producer realised that the on air effort was radically different to the person who they'd spoken to previously.
    Forum Member
    MrD wrote: »
    Eventually, 10:30 came and I was on - I was actually the second contestant.

C'mon don't be coy - what did you score and did you win! ;)
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Ray Bentos wrote: »

Today wasn't that day.

I suspect I clicked for the same reason as you.
  • MrDMrD Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C'mon don't be coy - what did you score and did you win! ;)

Not a lot, and no I didn't. I ended up with the Radio 2/Ken Bruce CD Wallet!

Was rather embarassing, I didn't have a lot to beat but didn't manage to beat the other person. Having made an arse of myself, I was pleased that for some reason that show didn't end up on iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    On the first set of questions today I scored 6.

I've never been anywhere near 39.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was a bit humourless about it but, as he says, can't take the risk if it's live....