Options

Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Computer wrote: »
    Capital South Wales launch a new weekend breakfast show this Saturday, a triple header with Polly James, Geraint Hardy (who presents a Blue Peter style show for S4C) and Matt Lissack https://twitter.com/CapitalMPG/status/293744406274646016/photo/1

Is this the only show of this type in that slot on the network? Aren't they usually just one jock?

Dare I say it, network testing? Or maybe Kam and Sally are moving?

Heart has speech/music weekend breakfast shows but not Capital.

Or maybe South Wales is getting something different. After all, Cardiff is a capital city.

Ps is that Polly formally of Absolute Radio?
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I'd rather pull out my own teeth than listen to capital. There is only so many times I can listen to a Rihanna track before I want to throw myself out of a window.

Capital is bad with their rotation, but you could do no worse than BBC Radio Newcastle, with the likes of Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now, Maggie May, Dancing on the Ceiling, Good Times, Dancing Queen, Brown Eyed Girl and Sign Your Name wheeled out daily 7 days a week.

Why can't the Managing Editor get some Disclosure, Jessie Ware or Laura Mvula on the playlist or at least some better variety of songs?

The only ever time we at least see some variety songs on weekdays out of the usual RN playlist is on Simon Logan's show at 12pm and 3.20pm. Otherwise the rest of the time RN makes Heart and Capital look Oscar-winning- I end up switching to Radio 1 most of the time.
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »

Or maybe South Wales is getting something different. After all, Cardiff is a capital city.

Yes it is that Polly. First thing that came to my mind was that it's a future breakfast show but we shall see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll repost this in a sec...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TV Crazy wrote: »
    I notice that Capital are really pushing the "hit music" format at the moment with "this is hit music" in practically in every sweeper and jingle.
    Whilst this strengthens and reinforces the brand, I actually preferred the older jingles where they replaced a word in an artists song with Capital, e.g with Calvin Harris and Example's recent hit it was "We'll be coming back for...Capital" or Usher's Scream being "If you wana scream...Capital".

So have they had an imaging refresh then? I've just tuned in this minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it is that Polly. First thing that came to my mind was that it's a future breakfast show but we shall see.

So can Capital work with speech then?
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So can Capital work with speech then?

I'd like to think so, especially at that time of day. Speech works for weekday breakfast so no reason why it shouldn't at the weekend. I like the idea of having a 'must tune in' show at the weekend too as opposed to the rest of the schedule which is aimed at casual/background listening. It's just a matter of whether there's an audience who want to tune in to Capital for that type of show. Dare I say that it would probably work very well in Yorkshire for example, an ex Galaxy station with a strong, loyal audience for it's weekday breakfast show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think the FM processing makes it sound like a very weak signal? Also the bass very noticeably distorts female vocals. I'm quite picky about sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think so, especially at that time of day. Speech works for weekday breakfast so no reason why it shouldn't at the weekend. I like the idea of having a 'must tune in' show at the weekend too as opposed to the rest of the schedule which is aimed at casual/background listening. It's just a matter of whether there's an audience who want to tune in to Capital for that type of show. Dare I say that it would probably work very well in Yorkshire for example, an ex Galaxy station with a strong, loyal audience for it's weekday breakfast show.

Heart does this fine. Don't know how many listeners there are to those shows.
  • Options
    Bee Cee ExBee Cee Ex Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Not a fan of the processing AJM. Where's the bass?!

That said, it does make the station sound rather good on cheap radios - kind of of in the same way that Phil Spector's production values made his records sound good on Wurlitzer jukeboxes and AM radio, or how Stock, Aiken & Waterman's production values made their records sound amazing on a £20 Argos cassette recorder, but shite on anything else!

Wouldn't be surprised if they do go down the route of Heart and move the local window at weekends to afternoons, and run a weekend "late" breakfast show 8-12. There's definitely an audience for a "breakfast-style" show at that time - especially, like you say, stations like Yorkshire which have a very strong weekday breakfast show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can deal with the compression but not the vocal distortion which makes it sound poor. I do know where you're coming from for example if I compare it to Wave 105 the audio seems quiet but in reality it's just less compression. Leave the treble as it is but prevent the vox from distortion and sort the lower band/bass out. Stereo image could be wider too.

/RANT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could Hirsty get at least one weekend breakfast slot?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kam and Sally will move to breakfast on the new Heart Wales when its rebranded from Real Radio later this year. Polly and Matt or Gethin will get breakfast on Capital South Wales in their place, depending on how the weekend dynamic goes.
  • Options
    Billy BirdBilly Bird Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote: »
    Kam and Sally will move to breakfast on the new Heart Wales when its rebranded from Real Radio later this year. Polly and Matt or Gethin will get breakfast on Capital South Wales in their place, depending on how the weekend dynamic goes.

It's a good theory. There was a plan to try a trio on breakfast before Kam and Sally were brought in, so not beyond the realms of possibility.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy Bird wrote: »
    It's a good theory. There was a plan to try a trio on breakfast before Kam and Sally were brought in, so not beyond the realms of possibility.

Yes, it went to pilot but never went to air. Why it was dropped is another question. Local PD or London pulled the plug depending which version of events you believe. Two of the trio have daily gigs elsewhere so it couldn't have been that bad.

I still think bringing Kam and Sally back together was the right choice in the end.
  • Options
    Billy BirdBilly Bird Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Herne wrote: »
    I still think bringing Kam and Sally back together was the right choice in the end.

Absolutely. They've done a great job. Can see the sense in a hypothetical Heart switch though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I know sometimes the Radio player's listen again sometimes works when it want's but Andi Durrant's put his shows up on his soundcloud page. I think it's good idea:

https://soundcloud.com/andidurrant/sets/radio-shows

Also,looking at his twitter conversation he is trying to get the show on earlier. When do you think they will change the schedule again, before summer?
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could Hirsty get at least one weekend breakfast slot?

They could do what they do in London and have the Best bits of Hirsty Daily Dose on a Saturday morning between 8 & 12
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    They could do what they do in London and have the Best bits of Hirsty Daily Dose on a Saturday morning between 8 & 12

Haven't all of the other Capital's (expect London) got to be live local between 8-12 on a Saturday because of their licence?

I believe London get's away with best bits on a Saturday Morning as the rest of the output comes from London.
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattJW wrote: »
    I know sometimes the Radio player's listen again sometimes works when it want's but Andi Durrant's put his shows up on his soundcloud page. I think it's good idea:

https://soundcloud.com/andidurrant/sets/radio-shows

Also,looking at his twitter conversation he is trying to get the show on earlier. When do you think they will change the schedule again, before summer?

It seems to change everyday at Capital.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    What do you think will happen to the capital network this year?

My guess is that The Bassman will leave or be moved somewhere else and then follows a schedule shake up before summer.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattJW wrote: »
    What do you think will happen to the capital network this year?

My guess is that The Bassman will leave or be moved somewhere else and then follows a schedule shake up before summer.

Big drop in listeners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Bassman moved to heart using his real name Ant Payne moved to afternoons
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Really? That doesn't surprise me to be honest, Bassman is way out of Capital's target demographic isn't he?

Ant's a strong presenter with a personality who I think will fit in really well with afternoons. I'm kind of surprised Pandora didn't get the gig with her covering Rich Clark and Greg Burns recently though.

When does this take effect from?
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally_b11 wrote: »
    Bassman moved to heart using his real name Ant Payne moved to afternoons

Not according to this schedule...
    http://www.capitalfm.com/yorkshiresouthwest/on-air/schedule/