Options

Blue singer: "I treat disabled people like normal people"

SadPeterPanSadPeterPan Posts: 85
Forum Member
Who's the most popular? "We all have different fans," Duncan says. "I get a lot of the mums and the disabled children. A lot of my fans have got cerebral palsy, but you know what? I love children like that, and I love people who have got disabilities because I spent a lot of time in hospital with my grandparents when they were ill, and Mum was a nurse. It's just in my nature. I'm like a magnet to them, and I treat them like normal people so they latch on. I once had a launch party and there was a queue of disabled kids all in wheelchairs come to see me, and Sara [the band's manager] walked in and goes: 'What is it with you and disabled people?'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/19/blue-eurovision-song-contest

How good of him.

Comments

• Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's the most popular? "We all have different fans," Duncan says. "I get a lot of the mums and the disabled children. A lot of my fans have got cerebral palsy, but you know what? I love children like that, and I love people who have got disabilities because I spent a lot of time in hospital with my grandparents when they were ill, and Mum was a nurse. It's just in my nature. I'm like a magnet to them, and I treat them like normal people so they latch on. I once had a launch party and there was a queue of disabled kids all in wheelchairs come to see me, and Sara [the band's manager] walked in and goes: 'What is it with you and disabled people?'"

How good of him.

:eek:
    Ahh, good ole Blue and their foot and mouth!
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man is a prize idiot. I'd saying something stronger, but it might get me banned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.

Still, at least they're not still whining about Philip Schofield.
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and I thought Lee was supposed to be the thick one!

In fact he even says: "what pisses me off most about this industry is when people call me thick. I hate that. Because things I say sometimes come out stupid"

Morons. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How good of him.

They probably feel sorry for him ...what with his intellectual disability.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He treats disabled people as normal people. If someone in a wheelchair needs to get down steps and asks for help, he says, 'Don't be so lazy! Honestly-expecting people to carry you about!'
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love people with disabilities as well. what a tool
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    "I treat them like normal people so they latch on"

If I said what I wanted to say, i'd be banned. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an awful, awful man. Although i shouldn't be shocked by the ignorance and patronising nature of Duncan, i am still gobsmacked by his comments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably annoying everyone in the world, I would say that he meant no harm and just phrased his words very very badly. Some people ARE nervous or awkward when meeting people with visible disabilities; I remember the fragrant Jim Davidson getting in the papers for refusing to allow people in wheelchairs in the front row because it put him off his stride. Less irritatingly, Duncan was possibly trying to say, "because I grew up alongside people with various disabilities I have no problem relating to the person and not the disability". Possibly his agent will now beat him with a stout stick until he learns to express himself better.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably annoying everyone in the world, I would say that he meant no harm and just phrased his words very very badly. Some people ARE nervous or awkward when meeting people with visible disabilities; I remember the fragrant Jim Davidson getting in the papers for refusing to allow people in wheelchairs in the front row because it put him off his stride. Less irritatingly, Duncan was possibly trying to say, "because I grew up alongside people with various disabilities I have no problem relating to the person and not the disability". Possibly his agent will now beat him with a stout stick until he learns to express himself better.

Agree. I really don't think he meant to be patronising or thoughtless. A limited vocabularly and an inability to express himself intelligently is all he can really be criticised for here.
  • Options
    Selina KyleSelina Kyle Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Its funny how Duncan came out as bisexual to stop a story being sold on him yet we haven't ever heard any kiss and tells on the subject.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avidreader wrote: »
    The man is a prize idiot. I'd saying something stronger, but it might get me banned.

;);) agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,434
    Forum Member
    This is actually hilarious. Funniest thing I've read in some time. Thank you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatsia wrote: »
    ... and I thought Lee was supposed to be the thick one!

:

I thought that this was going to be another one of his clangers actually :D
  • Options
    pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I didn't know that the quote was from Duncan I'd have thought it was from David Brent. How cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

I'd agree, I do get what I think he's trying to say, he's just said it in a very clumsy fashion.

Put yourself forward to be his future scriptwriter, that's phrased it 100% better :)
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I didn't know that the quote was from Duncan I'd have thought it was from David Brent. How cringeworthy.

That was the first thing that sprang to my mind too.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His manager is just as crass with her comment 'What is it with you and disabled people?'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Brent is that you? He comes over as quite thick, so to be honest it's actually really funny to read. I don't think he is genuinely a horrible person, just a tad thick and the words come over as a moron talking. Oh dear Duncan :D.

I still hope the do well at Eurovision, I watched the "Your Country Needs You" thing and I just can't decided if they are taking the mick or if they really think they are still living 10 years ago (possibly the latter after reading this).
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh if I get banned I get banned... I'l say how I feel..

What a ****ing prize C***.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Agree. I really don't think he meant to be patronising or thoughtless. A limited vocabularly and an inability to express himself intelligently is all he can really be criticised for here.

Agreed.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was going to be another Costa or Ryan gem but it appears their terminal lack of brain power is spreading to the rest of the group.

We just need Simon to say something even more moronic (is that possible?!) than "never mind 9/11, save the elephants" and "I love disabled people, they're just like you and me" and then we'll have the full house.
  • Options
    ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid comment but I don't think he meant to sound as patronising and stupid as he did
  • Options
    RendevousRendevous Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    He's been misquoted somewhere.