Has a book ever made you cry?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry, another book thread. But has it?

I remember being on a bus and reading the chapter of the Elephant Man where the female actress/star comes to meet him and she gets him to play out a scene from From Romeo and Juliet (?) and she actually kisses him? So embarrassing, I broke in to tears on public transport! I had to pretend I had a cold.

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never cried from reading a book. I did throw American Psycho across the room though, and took a break, when it got a bit revolting. That was a heavy book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    Sorry, another book thread. But has it?

I remember being on a bus and reading the chapter of the Elephant Man where the female actress/star comes to meet him and she gets him to play out a scene from From Romeo and Juliet (?) and she actually kisses him? So embarrassing, I broke in to tears on public transport! I had to pretend I had a cold.

I have, a few times :o The last time though was reading The Odour of Chrysanthemums by D.H. Lawrence, which was weird for me as it's only a short story with no chance to build a real affinity with any character, but I just found it so moving at the time I had a right blub :o
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I got royally pissed off when a certain owl died in a certain book!!! :cry:
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I burned some books once and the smoke made me cry..does that count?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever read The Exorcist rather than just watching the film? In the book you get so much more attached the the priest character and when he dies at the end by throwing himself down the steps. It is so much more emotional in the book than the film.

If you've never read it, but think you know it because you've seen the film, then reconsider.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Yes, War & Peace.

I had just dropped it on my face and had broken my nose, mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did at times while reading about the ups and downs of Adrian Mole.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    Yup, I've cried/teared up many times when reading, can't remember specific examples (probably because it's not that uncommon:P)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Fluke by James Herbert.

Probably only gonna have that effect on dog owners though. :o

I recall reading it and, after I was finished, I gave it to another guy to read and then, a few days later, I noticed him sitting at a desk, tissue in hand, continually lifting up his glasses to wipe tears from his eyes.

By the time 3 or 4 people had read it, it'd gained something of a reputation and people would take it to their rooms to read for fear of embarrassment. :D
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got hit on the bridge of the nose by a copy of the Qu'ran once, that made me smart a bit.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the grapes of wrath.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I got royally pissed off when a certain owl died in a certain book!!! :cry:

Me too!. And later in same book chapter called The Forest Again.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    the grapes of wrath.
    Steinbeck was an amazing writer,I read Grapes of Wrath when I was about 15, the Joads were so brilliantly written.

I went on to read all of his stuff, and loved them all even the non fiction Travels with Charlie.
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Steinbeck was an amazing writer,I read Grapes of Wrath when I was about 15, the Joads were so brilliantly written.

I went on to read all of his stuff, and loved them all even the non fiction Travels with Charlie.

he`s one of my favourites too:), i love his style.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marley and me was a bit emosh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »

While I never read Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men has to be one of the the saddest endings ever.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes when rue died, in the hunger games.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, another book thread.

Don't worry about it. There are 100s of them in the book forum :p
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Book Thief made me cry at the chapter where the death walk came through the village.

One Day had me sobbing as well.
    Forum Member
    While I never read Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men has to be one of the the saddest endings ever.

ohhh, you should!! it`s a very powerful story and i think it has particular relevance just now.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only once that I can recall. There's a certain sad event in 'The Subtle Knife', the second book in Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy, which was so beautifully written that I burst into tears.
    I'm referring to the death of Lee Scoresby and his daemon Hester.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moments in the Harry Potter books made me cry. The ending of The Amber Spyglass did too.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads.

Of the top of my head ...

My Son My Son by Howard Spring
    How Many Miles To Babylon by Jennifer Johnson
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
    The Green Mile by Stephen King
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The death of "The Man" in Cormack McCarthy's "The Road"