2014 Mercury Music Prize speculation thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
Forum Member
Ladbrokes have made Kate Tempest the 3/1 favourite. She was initially available at 50/1.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see Wanderlust be nominated for Mercury prize. Very different from her dance pop stuff and it just screams Mercury Prize nominee the first time i heard it.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now 5/2 on Ladbrooks

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/mercury-prize/winning-act

Who fancies a punt on One Direction at 100/1
  • r1verr1ver Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    What a depressing list. The Emperors New Clothes again. That Kate Tempest album is hilarious. It could be a Chris Lilley character.

So yeah, she'll probably win.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of her, but it's bound to be an over-hyped, flash-in-the-pan load of pop pap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I wrote a short blogpost about this a couple of weeks ago; some of the odds have changed a little since then.

The 12 runner shortlist doesn't come out until Sep 10th - I expect there are a few contenders that aren't in the betting yet.

If anyone has any good suggestions for other contenders, we (Ladbrokes) will add the best ones to our betting.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    albums by british artists that deserve recognition that come to my mind right now?

SOHN
    mogwai
    george ezra
    la roux
    elbow
    damon albarn
    coldplay
    katy b
    london grammar
    chrvches
    passenger
    paloma faith
    sam smith
    kasabian
    marsha ambrosius
    Forum Member
    Got most of those in our list already, but there's a few new ones there to think about. thanks!
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wild Beasts
    Rustie
    Fear of Men
    Cate Le Bon
    FKA Twigs
    Adult Jazz
    Lone
    Jungle
    Woman's Hour
    Daniel Avery
    East India Youth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jungle and La Roux definitely deserve nods. I'd like to see Paolo get a nod for Caustic Love also.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Chvrches get nominated but the album came out last September and the judges may have forgotten it by now.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions - we've added some of those to the betting now. I think the album has to have been released by July 3rd, so some of the acts mentioned won't qualify for that reason.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goin' Back Home...Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shadsy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions - we've added some of those to the betting now. I think the album has to have been released by July 3rd, so some of the acts mentioned won't qualify for that reason.

Qualification cut off will be early September. Last year's eligibility was September 11th 2012 and September 9th 2013.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shadsy wrote: »

Do you have a source for this? I find it highly unlikely that it'll be that early, I mean September is already pretty early bearing in mind it's album of the year and the best releases tend to be in the 2-3 quarters of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it would be better not to win. Speech Debelle's career was almost strangled at birth after her victory.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could definitely see Chvrches getting it. 16/1 is tempting.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be better not to win. Speech Debelle's career was almost strangled at birth after her victory.

Was anyone surprised by that though? To this day I will never understand how such an outsider could suddenly become bookies favourite just hours before the announcement was made.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see London Grammar win the Mercury Music Prize 2014. Hannah Reid's voice is beyond sublime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could definitely see Chvrches getting it. 16/1 is tempting.

They were favourites for Scottish Album of the Year but lost to Young Fathers. I think they may be too poppy for most critics in comparison, say, with London Grammar.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ward Thomas. Be great to see British country music get a nod.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Tempest sucks so she better not win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to Fka Twigs - LP1 this week I'll place a cheeky tenner that will make it on the shortlist.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I admire London Grammar and as accomplished as their debut was it was so so so so so so BORING!!!!!.

I'd like to see La Roux- Trouble In Paradise get a nomination a solid follow up that continued their debut with warmth and colour and a wholly consistent record.
    Forum Member
    Big move for FKA Twigs - now 4/1 having been 33/1 when Ladbrokes first issued odds.