Premier League Highlights on BBC or ITV ???

Comments

• Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Just when we thought we'd seen the last of Andy Townsend on club football for a little while :o:(>:(:cry:

The BBC are already struggling horrendously for content that skews young and male, this is the very very last thing they need.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, ITV's coverage isn't so bad when you exclude the ads, pundits, presenters................

In all seriousness, if ITV are considering a bid, then that's good. The Beeb have been complacent the last few years, and it'd be interesting to see if ITV would replicate MOTD's format of having a commentator in each ground.

The Premiership was mundane, but its Sunday/Monday editions were very good. Plus people overlook the impact it had on football coverage -- ProZone, the little facts that pop up on the scorebar when someone scores, to name but two.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    BBC purely because of the use of the 5.1
    Something ITV cannot yet use because of facility limitations.
    But punditry is dire on both.
    ITV is way worse though.
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the world cup in Brazil is any indication, I would say ITV.

BBC for me was always where I went for football analysis, but the last WC, ITV imo outshone them - which is mind blowing considering the low level of ITV punditry.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once The Premiership had settled down and moved from 7:00pm to 10:30, it was actually a very good show, at least as good as MOTD had been before it.

I'm sure ITV would do a pretty solid job if they do win the rights. And it's no surprise that they're bidding, given they must be saving a fair bit of money on the FA Cup and also the live Champions League rights that they lose next season.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If itv got the premiership highlights would we see the return of the goal rush on saturday afternoons.

I wonder if BBC or ITV could offer match choice options on premier league highlights similiar to what sky does. So that the viewer gets to see which match highlights they want to see
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I hope the highlights go to ITV. Other than the lack of adverts I don't see what BBC has over ITV. For me, ITV's recent football coverage has been better than the BBC's and with the cup having gone to BBC it would be nice to see something go the other way.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    If itv got the premiership highlights would we see the return of the goal rush on saturday afternoons.

I wonder if BBC or ITV could offer match choice options on premier league highlights similiar to what sky does. So that the viewer gets to see which match highlights they want to see

I think that option is only included in the live rights package, hence why Sky do it.

Apparently its always been there but Sky chose not to use it, until they started Football First
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprising since ITV have sod all football rights as of next season (England only) but that's a good thing IMO since their personnel are just poor. I hope the BBC retains the rights and Adrian Chiles disappears forever.
  • Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC for me. ITV look as if they may well make the higher bid though (as they probably have more money ) and that usually wins.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    Ofcom should ban ITV from showing highlights. It isn't right for viewers to have the programme shortened to fit in umpteen adverts.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Itv could have a good show on there hands if they did it like Match of the Day 2 when Adrian presented it.
    Also if they used Gordon Strachan and Martin O'Neill as pundits it would be good
  • WoddyWoddy Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to stay on the BBC .

ITV just can't do football, they should stick to just running adverts on a loop.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    sparry wrote: »
    I think that option is only included in the live rights package, hence why Sky do it.

Apparently its always been there but Sky chose not to use it, until they started Football First

Football First are a separate rights cycle from the live rights.
    Its just that Sky has the money to buy them and the red button streams to have all the games on a delayed basis.
    No one else does.
  • Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope ITV gets these, prefer their coverage to the BBC's, much to a lot of peoples disagreements. ;)
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years back I would have wanted itv to take over, however since then the BBC has really stepped up its MOTD efforts and is once again a very good show. Since binning Lawrenson from Saturday nights and reducing the appearances of Hansen and Shearer, the chat between the games has improved dramatically with Murphy, Gullit, Neville and, yes, even Savage.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll believe it when I see it, how many times over the years have we been told ITV is preparing a bid for Wimbledon and it's never happened, the last time they televised it was back in the 60s.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Ofcom should ban ITV from showing highlights. It isn't right for viewers to have the programme shortened to fit in umpteen adverts.

:confused: You do realise that, unlike the BBC, ITV aren't state funded, so need to screen adverts to gain revenue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »

Post of the Week:o:o:o
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprised. ITV have lost their live games, aside from a few England ones., so are now looking to be the home of football highlights.
    Hope it doesn't happen. ITV coverage of football is poor.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it stays on the bbc. No adverts and HD catch up.
  • JeffmisterJeffmister Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Football First are a separate rights cycle from the live rights.
    Its just that Sky has the money to buy them and the red button streams to have all the games on a delayed basis.
    No one else does.
    I don't think it's likely but BT (if they wanted to) could bid for the Football First rights in the next auction since they now have the BT Sport Extra red button service
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeffmister wrote: »
    I don't think it's likely but BT (if they wanted to) could bid for the Football First rights in the next auction since they now have the BT Sport Extra red button service

BT have made it very clear they are going to spend huge sums of money on football rights over the next few years as it's already working for them in terms of customers.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BT have made it very clear they are going to spend huge sums of money on football rights over the next few years as it's already working for them in terms of customers.

Yes but when they start asking most of their "customers" to start paying for BT Sport next season will they have as many ????
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only advantage if ITV won was that the BBC, in relation to highlight content, have set the bar with commentary highlights of every game. The outrage if ITV went back to three mains and a round up would be huge I'd hope. It's not necessarily the adverts or the punditry, it's the quality and quantity of the highlights they show.