gone off reading! any suggestions?

ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I seem to have gone off reading for the past couple of weeks. I have tried to get into the new James Patterson book, nothing seems to hold my interest. I like reading chick lit, romantic and crime thrillers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Comments

• mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often get book burn out :(

Do you have a favorite comfort re-read? or find something short light and easy that may help...

will have a think, perhaps someone else has a book suggestion

ML xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Having recently read it for the second time (the first being over 12+ years ago for my GCSE) To Kill a Mockingbird will surely relight the book-redaing fire for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just thought :D

What about T'he Journey' by Josephine Cox

I really enjoyed that and about to start the Sequel 'Journey's end'

ML xx
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Try writing. Put what you want to read into a story of your own.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ameredith wrote: »
    I seem to have gone off reading for the past couple of weeks. I have tried to get into the new James Patterson book, nothing seems to hold my interest. I like reading chick lit, romantic and crime thrillers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Ed McBain, Robert van Gulik, Derek Raymond.:cool:
    I'd also suggest you stop reading chick-lit and romance: no wonder you're bored.:)
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bloke, and considering it could be labelled romance, I still love Virginia Andrews work, you get so wrapped up in her writing.

The Dollanganger series is 5 books (starts with Flowers in the Attic and the last book was finished off after her death by Andrew Neiderman).

The Casteel series is 5 books (Starts with Heaven, last 3 inspired by Virginia and written by Neiderman).

The first couple (at least) of each series are a must read, you will be part of that world and feel upset when it ends.

Give Flowers in the Attic or Heaven a try - I guarantee you will love them.
  • ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will go down to the library with some of your book suggestions and try them. I hope I will get back into reading because I have always loved reading.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ameredith wrote: »
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will go down to the library with some of your book suggestions and try them. I hope I will get back into reading because I have always loved reading.

ameredith,
    if all else fails, get a book about books, this one is brilliant found my copy reduced in THE WORKS From £6.99 to £2.99
    should be in the library :D

'The Book Club BIBLE' foreword by Lionel Shriver (Author of We need to talk about Kevin)
    Talks about over 200 books :eek:

ML xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend a book of short stories by different authors. Or, something I used to do is go to a secondhand bookstore and buy a load of classics (around 10 books) and then read the first chapter of each book until I found one that reeled me in.
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try "84 Charing Cross Road" by Helene Hanff. If she doesn't infect you with her own enthusiasm for reading, nothing can! ;)

That's one book (out of many :p) that I keep rereading.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Go for a walk or watch TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for a walk or watch TV

Who wrote those? :D

ML xx :o:D
  • ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your other suggestions and I am going to the library on my day off work tomorrow.
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more suggestion, try books by Judy Astley, shes brilliant, a bit like chick lit but very funny. Her older stuff, especially Pleasant Vices is excellent.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci, it's topical (almost) and romantic with a bit of adventure thrown in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    water for elephants