Missing Cat

Comments

• pixiepiepixiepie Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't want to start a new thread because I'm probably worrying a bit prematurely but my own cat has been missing for about 2 and a half days now.

She's been gone for a full 24 hours on two occassions before but never any longer that that.
    Its very unusual for her cos she's not one to roam and the weathers been awful and she usually hates going out in that.
    Probably sound like an idiot but when she didn't arrive back this morning I've started getting really worried.:(
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    pixiepie wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread because I'm probably worrying a bit prematurely but my own cat has been missing for about 2 and a half days now.

She's been gone for a full 24 hours on two occassions before but never any longer that that.
    Its very unusual for her cos she's not one to roam and the weathers been awful and she usually hates going out in that.
    Probably sound like an idiot but when she didn't arrive back this morning I've started getting really worried.:(

I hope she turns up soon. You don't sound like an idiot at all and I too would be worried. One of mine went missing for 24 hours just before I went on holiday in July. I was frantic, I couldn't cancel my holiday because I was the adult taking my 11 year old niece and couldn't let her down. I had been up all night calling and I was just about to take the other 2 to the cattery when Lucy turned up - she got a shock when I just bundled her into her carrier and took her to the cattery! She looked fine and ate when she got to the cattery :)

She hasn't gone again since then, she's keeping close to home now :rolleyes:

Your cat may be trapped in a shed, my Bernard was missing for nearly 3 days, years ago, and came home absolutely filthy. I presumed he had been trapped somewhere and had been trying to get out. Again, he rarely goes beyond my garden now.
    Letting neighbours know by dropping missing leaflets in their letterboxes can result in the cat being found in a shed or garage.

I hope your cat turns up very soon, it's always such a huge relief when they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks MarellaK,
    I have let some of the neighbours know, hopefully she'll turn up soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Know its late but still no sign of her. Feeling completely devastated:(:(

Starting to feel like theres no chance of her coming back
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Know its late but still no sign of her. Feeling completely devastated:(:(

Starting to feel like theres no chance of her coming back

Sorry to hear your cat is missing and I can understand how you are feeling but please do not give up hope.

Get some flyers printed with her picture on and your contact details and distribute to neighbours asking them to check sheds, garages outbuildings etc the more houses the better but at least 10 up and down from you both sides of road and maybe road behind your garden, pop posters on lampposts, shops, anywhere you can.

If your cat was microchipped call to let the know, also call local vets, cats protection, RSPCA etc to let them know.

I hope you cat comes back to you soon x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice fairy feet. I've distributed flyers, contacted local vets, put pic up online. Unfortunately she's not microchipped, if she did come back I definately would make sure to get it done.

Been nearly a week now and I know realistically chances of her coming back are very slim.
    Longest she's been away is a day and except for night time shes very much an indoor cat.

Its a bit of a shock to the system, last cat we had lived well over a decade and had to be eventually put down but least we knew what happened to him. As much as I knew this sometimes happened with cats I'm still really shocked and upset.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Been nearly a week now and I know realistically chances of her coming back are very slim.
    Don't give up hope yet. One of my cats disappeared for 3 months once, then one morning there she was sitting on the bin outside having a wash like nothing had happened. She was never a roaming cat before then either and we never did find out where she'd been.

Have you contacted all your local shelters? Also, as she's not microchipped, keep checking their websites for the cats they're rehoming, just in case.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,099
    Forum Member
    dont give up hope...sending positive vibes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    I was feeling kinda positive today, there was a potential spotting but it turned out to be a different cat.
    After that I'm back to feeling horrible again, its exactly seven days, nearly to the hour since I last saw her.

Its weird because at this stage I can't imagine her coming back but at the same tine I can't imagine not seeing her again if that makes any sense.
    Forum Member
    dont give up xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking of you - don't give up hope, keep checking and keep asking anyone and everyone you see, hope you have a happy reunion soon xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys,
    Its very hard trying to explain it to people who have no pets how upsetting it is.

I don't know whether to be just trying to accept it at this stage.
    She's a wary sort of cat, she leaves the house straight away if a stranger comes in, and not nearly as obsessed with food as my old cat used to be so I really in my heart of hearts don't think its a case of someone else feeding her like you hear with other cats.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys,
    Its very hard trying to explain it to people who have no pets how upsetting it is.

I don't know whether to be just trying to accept it at this stage.
    She's a wary sort of cat, she leaves the house straight away if a stranger comes in, and not nearly as obsessed with food as my old cat used to be so I really in my heart of hearts don't think its a case of someone else feeding her like you hear with other cats.

I think I broke down after my cat had been gone a week (I'm tearing up just thinking of her) and didn't really stop for another week. I spoke to one of friend's a week later, my youngest (9) told her I was getting better as I'd stopped crying all the time. I still miss her dreadfully - she was my cat. She loved me best, always had to be near me and wouldn't really let anyone else touch her.
    We got another cat from the local rescue centre recently, not to replace her but to have another cat (I'm so going to be one of those mad old cat ladies in my dotage). Sometimes it's hard watching her play with Catty's old toys.
    Chin up, your cat could still come back and I hope with everything I have, she does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    I think I broke down after my cat had been gone a week (I'm tearing up just thinking of her) and didn't really stop for another week. I spoke to one of friend's a week later, my youngest (9) told her I was getting better as I'd stopped crying all the time. I still miss her dreadfully - she was my cat. She loved me best, always had to be near me and wouldn't really let anyone else touch her.
    We got another cat from the local rescue centre recently, not to replace her but to have another cat (I'm so going to be one of those mad old cat ladies in my dotage). Sometimes it's hard watching her play with Catty's old toys.
    Chin up, your cat could still come back and I hope with everything I have, she does.

Sorry to hear about your cat studmuffin. Everyone keeps saying to me to get a new cat in a few months but I really dont think I will. In my heart of hearts I know she's probably gone for good, it just kills me not knowing what happened to her.
    This sounds completely ridiculous but I'm early 20s, no kids or anything so she really was my baby, liked having something to look after and like you said about yours, she was a family cat but was more mine than anyone elses.
    Such is life i suppose. I know I need to get a grip but I still just can't believe it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your cat studmuffin. Everyone keeps saying to me to get a new cat in a few months but I really dont think I will. In my heart of hearts I know she's probably gone for good, it just kills me not knowing what happened to her.
    This sounds completely ridiculous but I'm early 20s, no kids or anything so she really was my baby, liked having something to look after and like you said about yours, she was a family cat but was more mine than anyone elses.
    Such is life i suppose. I know I need to get a grip but I still just can't believe it.

The not knowing is the hard part for me too. We have a problem with mountain lions and coyotes eating pets especially over the winter and seeing a coyote in the garden a couple of weeks ago was a gut wrencher. So many cats have gone missing in the last couple of months. There's a lot of forest surrounding my house and neighbourhood, a huge swathe of it was chopped down for a new school which coincided with the disappearance of the cats. There's a good possibility this has disturbed a family of coyotes and they're prowling about a bit more nearer to the houses.
    And you don't sound ridiculous! We love our pets, they are part of our families and our lives. Grieve away, it takes as long as it takes.
    (hug)
    Forum Member
    still hoping
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    still hoping

Me too xxx
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone keeps saying to me to get a new cat in a few months but I really dont think I will. In my heart of hearts I know she's probably gone for good, it just kills me not knowing what happened to her.
    I completely understand the distress that not knowing causes. It's awful arriving home and finding your cat neatly laid out on the grass verge outside your house - having run into a car wheel, I think - but it is immeasurably better than just not knowing. I hope your cat may still amble in one day - it does happen... and she's not been missing for much more than 2 weeks yet, has she?

But if you think about adopting another cat at some point, consider an older one from a rescue. There are plenty of cats aged 9 or 10+ in rescues, often there through no fault of their own - owner died, owners split up, owners had to move to accommodation that didn't allow pets, etc - and when cats are older they tend to roam less and are much more appreciative of a warm lap and a comfy life.

You still get the companionship, they get the loving home they deserve.

But here's hoping you get a nice surprise soon as the prodigal returns...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.
    Its been about 2 and a half weeks now and I think everyone expects me to be over it by now but I feel just as sad as ever.
    I know I need to just start accepting it but as you said its difficult when you don't know for sure what happened.
    I still have a tiny bit of hope which makes it harder to just move on.
    Keep thinking of all the horrible things that might have happened to her and cant stop getting teary.:(
    Forum Member
    oh pixie, so sorry
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh pixie, so sorry

I am too pixie, I can fully understand you still being very upset about her, it is the not knowing.:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.
    Its been about 2 and a half weeks now and I think everyone expects me to be over it by now but I feel just as sad as ever.
    I know I need to just start accepting it but as you said its difficult when you don't know for sure what happened.
    I still have a tiny bit of hope which makes it harder to just move on.
    Keep thinking of all the horrible things that might have happened to her and cant stop getting teary.:(

Oh Pixiepie :(
    When you think of something terrible that might have happened try to switch to thinking of something positive and lovely you and/or your cat enjoyed. I know it's hard but it will help with your grieving to think of the good times. Don't let those fun happy times with your cat get lost in your (understandable) unhappiness and uncertainty.
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    It's awful when your cat goes missing. Mine's been gone since last October, and I still search the missing pet websites, and think about him every day. It's truly heartbreaking. Here's hoping your cat returns.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A cat of mine disappeared on NYE 2002 and was never seen again.I STILL feel guilty about it and wonder to this day what happened to him so ignore the idiots who tell you:'It's only a cat', it speaks volumes about what sort of worthless people they are............
    I hope you get some good news very soon.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    My Lucy has been missing since yesterday afternoon, well over 30 hours, and it rained last night so she wasn't having fun outdoors. :( Something has stopped her from coming home and I have a bad feeling about the situation.

I've done all the usual stuff, walked round the roads rattling treats and calling her, leafleting neighbours asking them to check their sheds and I've left messages with my local rescues.

I don't really need advice as such, I just need to offload. I have a bad feeling about her collar. Twice in the past few weeks she's caught her front leg in her collar so I recently tightened it (I could still fit my fingers round it) but now I'm worried she's strangled herself somewhere. My cat flap is magnetically operated so my cats wear magnets on their collars. When I disabled the magnet last year I was getting cat 'visitors' which were stressing my cats - so I don't really have much choice regarding collars at the moment without going down the microchip flap route (though she is microchipped).

My other 2 cats are sensing my stress and I wish they could be like dogs and just lead me to her. I now just don't believe she is going to return.

I also feel for the other posters on this thread whose cats are still missing.