Options

Question for pet owners - do you feel your cat/dog/etc actually likes you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 12 year old bull terrier worships me. Maybe because it was me who went to buy her. She was two years old and a breeder had her in a kennel in her garage. So she associates me with freedom! The minute she first saw me, she ran to me, tail wagging and has been at my side for the past ten years.

If I go for a bath she often follows me upstairs and sits outside the bathroom quietly til I come out. She doesn't do that for anyone else, although she adores the kids and is very maternal to them, she is famously a "mummy's girl".

Cos I am at home all day and everyone else is out at work, school or college, we spend all day together. She likes to come upstairs and sit on my bed when I wake up, and usually unless she falls asleep where she is, will follow me from room to room all day. She only goes in the kitchen when I am cooking. She doesn't sleep upstairs at night though, she prefers to stay downstairs on her own, although we have always given her freedom to go wherever she wants.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still trying to work this one out. I know she needs me for food and chasing stray cats out of the garden and opening the back door. She does purr when she sees me and flops onto her back for a belly rub and snuggles in bed at night, but everything is on her terms. I would like to think that she does like me, after all, she did decide that I was the one she chose to move in with, but was that because I was an easy touch and she got more from me than where she came from? I guess having put up with me for the last 5 years, on balance, she likes me more than anyone else.:D
  • Options
    FirewalkerFirewalker Posts: 2,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Lab /Collie cross adores me.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I know my cat loves me.

Firstly, she chooses to knock around with me wherever I am in the house or garden and most of the time, she likes to help with whatever I'm doing.

If I come back from being out, she will come running up to me with her tail in the air, looking for a cuddle.

She knows when it's her tea time - she keeps nagging me and won't shut up until she's fed. But when my mum died a few weeks ago, she was so attentive and loving, and just came and cuddled me on the sofa purring her little heart out. She got fed about an hour and a half late, and didn't complain once.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Tara cat loved me. She would pick me over everyone. She knew I was her mummy and was the most important human in her life.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    I know my cat loves me.

Firstly, she chooses to knock around with me wherever I am in the house or garden and most of the time, she likes to help with whatever I'm doing.

If I come back from being out, she will come running up to me with her tail in the air, looking for a cuddle.

She knows when it's her tea time - she keeps nagging me and won't shut up until she's fed. But when my mum died a few weeks ago, she was so attentive and loving, and just came and cuddled me on the sofa purring her little heart out. She got fed about an hour and a half late, and didn't complain once.
    She sounds absolutely wonderful. I hope you continue to have many more amazing years with her.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    when it suits but sometimes I think she actually hates me. She is a bit fickle she will sit on my lap but as soon as my partner is sat down she goes and sits next to him, she gets very possesive if he tries to give me a hug in bed and digs her claws into his legs through the duvet and she does the same to me if I try and do that. She lets him sleep in but comes and sits by my head at 5am meowing at the top of her voice.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    She sounds absolutely wonderful. I hope you continue to have many more amazing years with her.

Thank you :)

She is wonderful (not that I'm biased in any way :D) and I adore her, but the problem is that she is 15 now and already starting to show signs of kitty dementia. It's a worry.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I had a gerbil that you could tell liked me. When I let her out to have a run of the front room instead of just rushing about she found a biscuit crumb or two an then climbed up me to sit on my shoulder and then get a scratch behind the ear.
  • Options
    LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about 'love' or 'like' but my guinea pigs certainly trust me more than anybody else. They are comfortable around me, and look to me for reassurance when they are frightened. Either way I love them, and draw immense pleasure from cultivating that relationship. It's a bond, but it's not love from their perspective.

My dog however is different. He loves all people, but there is just something special about the way he is with us; the way he comes and sits between your legs and drops his head onto your knee, the way he cuddles up beside you on the bed and night, shuts his eyes and lets out the biggest, most contented sigh, or the way he just sits and looks at you, waiting patiently for you to glance his way before wagging his tail. Again, I'm not going to call the way he is 'love' but I think in many ways bonding with an animal goes deeper than that. It's the utter trust they have in you, and that desire to please - you could search your whole life through and never find that in a person. You get it in a dog (or pet) almost without looking. I don't know how he sees it, but for me it's hugely rewarding and that's all that counts.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know our two dogs adore me & the husband although they both show it in different ways

Finn (lab/beagle x) HAS to be near us, constantly looking for attention, loves nothing more than cuddling up on the settee with us. He'll just lounge all over me whilst staring at me - Ive never known a more content affectionate little dog. He was a rescue and was so nervous around people at first it breaks my heart to think he might have been mistreated before he was with us.

Benji (beagle) is no where near as affectionate yet the minute either of us walk into a room where he is his tail wags constantly and he'll roll over onto his back to have his tummy tickled. He's not very cuddly unless hes in the mood to be cuddled though, if he's not he'll tolerate it for about 30 seconds and then move away from you :o

The way both of them great me when I get home from work in the evening never fails to put a smile on my face :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    obviously the pet owners will probably love their pets, but do you feel this feeling is mutual? or do your pets not show any signs of like/love?

My mum's cat loves me. She always comes to greet me and wakes up and comes downstairs to do so before returning back to her cat bed. She won't do this when my sister comes to visit. She will tell me put her fave cushion on the sofa before curling up and she often tells me she wants to sit on my lap and tells me where to stroke and scratch her. She will now sleep next to me when I visit my mum. She's got me wrapped around her finger.

My husband's dog loves me too. He waits for me by the door and comes running to look for me when he's been away. I can tell on his face he likes me and we have a good bond. There's another animal who's got me wrapped around his paw.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    oh definitely, he comes to me for proper hugs and looks into my eyes with pure love.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurley pup is 7 months old and I think he loves me, he doesn't like to be apart from me and as I work from home he's with me most of the time. When I go out he wags from the nose to the tail with happiness that I am back.
    Apart from today when he is sparko due to some kind of bug, it's really sad. Poor little dude.