West Indian Food.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

Are there any White British people that like West Indian food? If so what do you like and when did you first try it.

Just curious. :)

Comments

• DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do though ive not had much

we do jerk chicken wings made with jerk seasoning from a jar - dunnes river i think.

when i was in costa rica, i was on the carribean side and there was a lot of beens and rice on the menu, not too fussed on the beans like

Also, dark rum and ginger beer is the most underrated and delicious combination ever
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a W Indian restaurant near me (it's closed now) and I would regularly have curry goat and fried plantain. Usually with some kind of sweet potato.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yes ive had plantain and sweet potato as well
  • AWESOMESAUCE!AWESOMESAUCE! Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Plantain crisps are nice, jerk chicken is nice, there is a new Caribbean restaurant in town and I want to try it soon.
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be careful with the plantain - it's a killer on those love handles. :eek::D
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe boring for some, but we often cook curried goat.

We buy a lot of goat as it is cheaper than lamb and I love lamb and it has similar taste.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I saw that on one of the River Cottage shows. It looked quite nice. I would like to attempt it but proably using lamb. I'd love to try an authentic version though.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I saw that on one of the River Cottage shows. It looked quite nice. I would like to attempt it but proably using lamb. I'd love to try an authentic version though.

Might as well get goat, it does have a slightly different taste, plus it is a lot cheaper than lamb.
    Forum Member
    Not sure I could around here without ordering online.
    My local butcher told me because of cost cutting they are only selling major cuts e.g. sirloin, rump, ribeye; of the most popular meats because they can't afford to have other cuts going to waste. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't lie, it really makes me happy when I see English people enjoying West Indian food. Alot of people make comments when I bring it in too work, turn their noses up or make comments. Its nice to see some people broaden their horizons and enjoy the food I was brought up on. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noir75 wrote: »
    I can't lie, it really makes me happy when I see English people enjoying West Indian food. Alot of people make comments when I bring it in too work, turn their noses up or make comments. Its nice to see some people broaden their horizons and enjoy the food I was brought up on. :)

what an old fashioned attitude the people at your work have!!!
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They're probably jealous really or boring farts who would find the most plainest dishes as adventurous! :D
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Hi all

Are there any White British people that like West Indian food? If so what do you like and when did you first try it.

Just curious. :)

My name is Millie Muppet and I'm an ackee and saltfish addict! :D

My OH is half-Jamaican half-Bajan, but I actually tried West Indian for the first time in Edinburgh's only Jamaican restaurant, Coyaba, several years back.

We also eat jerk chicken at home occasionally, and plantain chips a lot :D

My OH's dad is going to make me ackee and saltfish next time we visit. It's quite sad how excited I am. :D:o
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On special occasions at my workplace, it's an excuse to have an ethnic cookup. We are West Indian, Indian, African, Irish, and English. The English bring the homemade cake, cheese, breadsticks and dips etc :D, but dive into everything on the table. Naturally there's more food than needed, so people bring tupperware to take home leftovers. It works for us and it's always good to taste and get the recipe for something new.

It's also a chance for the people who bring in sandwiches, to get a taste of the exotic foods they smell from the microwave every lunchtime.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Love West Indian food and have cooked several dishes, love rice and peas,jerk chicken and fried plaintain.

A Couple of years ago I went to a christening, the food was fantastic, I got to take home a doggy bag and some home made ginger beer. Delish.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The first time I tried West Indian food was in the Caribbean about 10 years ago. Some of my favourite dishes are curried goat, pepperpot soup and jerk chicken. I'm always cooking up jerk chicken for my boyfriend who is half Jamaican. Scotch Bonnet peppers are great too, I love the fiery kick they give to dishes :)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love plaintain and rice and peas. Can't have jerk chicken or goat, so have not tried those. Willing to try anything meatfree though.
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for bumping such an old thread but are any of you on here familiar with the Naparima Cookbook?

As I've heard that it's the definitive guide to traditional Trinidadian cuisine

www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/the-naparima-girls-high-school-cookbook/

www.uncommoncaribbean.com/2010/11/22/taste-of-the-caribbean-naparima-girls-h-s-cookbook-updated-revised-edition/

and am looking to buy one as a present but even used copies are going for £50+ on eBay and Amazon marketplace :o

So I'm just wondering whether it really is so good that it's worth importing a shiny new copy from Canada / USA (where they are retailing at around £25) or can someone recommend an equally comprehensive guide to classic Trini recipes that's available here in the UK?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love goat curry and Caribbean oxtail stew.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to a few Caribbean restaurants in this country and they've all been poor, bit of a mystery why you can't get good Caribbean food here when there's been people from that area living here since the 1940s.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Been to a few Caribbean restaurants in this country and they've all been poor, bit of a mystery why you can't get good Caribbean food here when there's been people from that area living here since the 1940s.

Ive always wondered that, and also in regards to tv programmes, theres a plethora of indian,italian, chinese, baking shows but not that many geared toward west indian foods.

I was introduced to it quite young as I have always lived and worked in areas where there are lots of different ethnicities. Being a little piggy, I am keen to try everything but when I started working at Brixton a woman used to cook up dishes and bring them in foil trays in her car at lunchtime, we would give our orders in the morning and its delivered at lunch. I just loved the snapper and 'food', I love food like that. Love patties, dumpling, salt fish (dont like all the bones though).

I now live somewhere that has absolutely no ethnic shops or diversity whatsoever which is a real shame. Although to be fair, Ive now given up a lot of the food that I would choose, I like all the carby stuff.
    Forum Member
    I would have thought that Birmingham and London would have had some good restaurants/takeaways.

Probably not so much in other areas of the country.

Levi Roots did a series on it so there might be some places from that series to visit.

Jamie Oliver also did an episode on that type of food so you might find some places from there, although I think it was a home cooked meal that he had.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not white but what little of Caribbean food I have had, I have really enjoyed.

I had my first taste of Trinidadian food last year and I loved it. I had a roti with chicken curry, doubles and poularie. Good stuff. Trinidad have a lot of descendants from India and this is reflected in the food which has a lot of Indian influences.

I was fortunate enough to get a Caribbean cooking lesson for my birthday, which I redeemed recently and I was taught how to cook the French West Indian delicacies of breadfruit fritter and onion salsa, 'Columbo' chicken curry (so-called because the spices were imported from Sri Lanka), sweet potato gratin, cho cho salad and flambé gratin. It was wonderful.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I would have thought that Birmingham and London would have had some good restaurants/takeaways.

Probably not so much in other areas of the country.

Levi Roots did a series on it so there might be some places from that series to visit.

Jamie Oliver also did an episode on that type of food so you might find some places from there, although I think it was a home cooked meal that he had.

Its not that there arent any at all, there are a few, but when you compare the influence that italian and indian restaurants/food have had, its nothing like that. Jamie Oliver cooks nothing but Italian food sometimes (although thats how he started off so fair enough) but the fact that you can only identify Levi Roots (and so can I only identify him) says a lot when you have italian, indian, aisan cooks/cookery all over the telly all the time. (and, most west indian people I know will be very snooty about levi roots anyway)
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Ive always wondered that, and also in regards to tv programmes, theres a plethora of indian,italian, chinese, baking shows but not that many geared toward west indian foods.

I was introduced to it quite young as I have always lived and worked in areas where there are lots of different ethnicities. Being a little piggy, I am keen to try everything but when I started working at Brixton a woman used to cook up dishes and bring them in foil trays in her car at lunchtime, we would give our orders in the morning and its delivered at lunch. I just loved the snapper and 'food', I love food like that. Love patties, dumpling, salt fish (dont like all the bones though).

I now live somewhere that has absolutely no ethnic shops or diversity whatsoever which is a real shame. Although to be fair, Ive now given up a lot of the food that I would choose, I like all the carby stuff.

It's a shame the BBC has never commissioned a prime time series which could do for Caribbean cuisine what Ken Hom and Madhur Jaffrey did for Chinese and Indian cookery back in the 1980s.

The only Caribbean chef I can recall seeing on mainstream TV was Rustie Lee on TV-am whilst Rhodes Across The Caribbean is the sole series I've watched on the cable channels in which a well known British chef has travelled to the islands.

It is a bit odd when you consider how many shows are dedicated to other nations' cuisine, like you say.