Options

Kids bedtimes

Comments

• Options
    MerryBerryMerryBerry Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    My 5 year old daughter (6 next month) goes to bed at 7pm on a school night. Although some nights she may read in bed for a bit if she's not overly tired.

Weekends I don't mind what time she goes to bed, so I let her decide when she's ready. Sometimes that's 7pm and sometimes it's 11pm!
  • Options
    MarieHMarieH Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    I have friends who still put their little ones to sleep for afternoon naps aswell. I'm sure it's more for their benefit really for a bit of peace.
    Gosh my kids haven't had a nap in the day since they were about two! but they do enjoy a good 10/12 hours at night
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have friends who still put their little ones to sleep for afternoon naps aswell. I'm sure it's more for their benefit really for a bit of peace.

Er no, some kids need a lot of sleep, if a kid doesn't need sleep, they won't sleep. Short of drugging a child you can't make them sleep unless they are tired. My son had an afternoon nap right up until he was 4, if he didn't have an hour or so nap after his dinner, he'd be a right arsey ltlle boy by teatime, there would be tears and snot and everything. Horrible if he missed his nap, he liked his kip and still does.
    I didn't put him to bed, he'd eat his dinner and go flake out on the sofa and snore and fart for an hour.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Er no, some kids need a lot of sleep, if a kid doesn't need sleep, they won't sleep. Short of drugging a child you can't make them sleep unless they are tired. My son had an afternoon nap right up until he was 4, if he didn't have an hour or so nap after his dinner, he'd be a right arsey ltlle boy by teatime, there would be tears and snot and everything. Horrible if he missed his nap, he liked his kip and still does.
    I didn't put him to bed, he'd eat his dinner and go flake out on the sofa and snore and fart for an hour.

Don't get me wrong in the past my kids have tried getting a sneaky kip in the middle of the day. I don't let them. They soon grew out of it.
  • Options
    Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus :eek: reading this thread i now realise what an awful child i was regarding bedtime. As soon as i hit 13 i was in bed no earlier than 10:30pm. Usually i'd be in bed between 11:30 and 12:30 but i remember the days when i went to bed at 11:00 but stayed awake on my laptop til 3:00am. Although im guessing all those late nights are the cause of my never ending sleep now. The majority of the time i'll sleep in til 1:00/2:00pm now :o Although that could also be to too many parties as well.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong in the past my kids have tried getting a sneaky kip in the middle of the day. I don't let them. They soon grew out of it.

Jeez. glad I didn't procreate with you. What a meanie. It's cruel to deprive small children of sleep when they need it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jeez. glad I didn't procreate with you. What a meanie. It's cruel to deprive small children of sleep when they need it

Kids will become lazy only if you let them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 4 month old is in bed at 7pm, my 2 year old 6:30pm and my 8 year old 8pm unless she has an activity like drama etc then its normally half hour after she gets home.
    I do let my 8 year old stay up later at weekend, normally about ten but she is like a zombie the next day!!
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    A 12 yr old going to bed at 8.30 is proper harsh.

Depends.

When I was just 12 I'd probably start lagging out at that time. I was in year 7 the last season Forest were in Europe (95-6) and it wasn't until the morning I knew we had won the first round UEFA cup game - I was in bed way before the end, probably between 9 and 9.30 (I was about 11 3/4 then). Enough times at that age I'd listen to the end of football games on the clock radio then turn off the sleep timer at full time in the dark. So I'd at least be going to bed before 9.30 and otherwise able to sleep before then (because I was keeping myself up listening to the match) so actually, I could probably have gone to bed at 8.30 at 12.

Though I was a small kid for my age then, so most kids my age probably were going later. But it is when you are tired which matters. That varies in adults, let alone kids.

As a general point I don't see the point in attempting to sleep when you are not tired. It is futile.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My one is 13 in a couple of months and I am have started to let her stay up until 9. Before it was 8 O'clock bed. She is having real difficulty in getting up though. If she is left to sleep, she is a proper 14 hour sleeper and is also a very deep sleeper too. Nothing can wake her up. She has not got up once for her alarm since going to bed later because she just can't hear it and I end up having to get her up and I am thinking of putting her time back to eight again. Or buying a trumpet :D
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is 14 and she goes to bed at 10pm. But as soon as she puts her head on the pillows, she's fast asleep. And she's up like a shot at 7am. Some of her school friends on FB are also friends of mine and even I'm shcoked to see how late they stay up too.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    my 5 year old goes between 8-8.30pm (can stay up till 9 at weekends if not too noisy!), my 8 year old 9-9.30pm (can stay up till 10 at weekends), they have to be staggered an hour between as they share a bedroom and i have to make sure youngest asleep before middle son goes to bed or it would be bedlam. My 14 yr old goes at 11pm.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    My 4 year old goes between 07:30 and 08:30. By the time I've collected him from nursery, had dinner and bathed him its bedtime.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    My daughter is 14 and she goes to bed at 10pm. But as soon as she puts her head on the pillows, she's fast asleep. And she's up like a shot at 7am. Some of her school friends on FB are also friends of mine and even I'm shcoked to see how late they stay up too.

She's doing it right. She'll just go to bed when she crashes out and gets enough sleep.

I never had arguments about bedtimes all the while I was in school. Even at 17/18 i'd go to bed about 11pm. I couldn't have stayed up much later.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    A 12 yr old going to bed at 8.30 is proper harsh.

I'd have said so when I was 12 but some families are different. I was an only child so I guess it didn't matter as much about bed times. However, I was definitely staying up past 9 when I was 6/7. When I was about 8, I was definitely going to bed around 10:30pm because I can remember my teacher at the time being horrified that I was allowed to stay up until that time. This probably had a lot to do with the fact we normally didn't eat dinner until 8pm because that was the time my parents had always eaten dinner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    my daughter is 14 and on school nights in bed by 10...i know she sneaky texts for a while after. At weekends and holidays it is usually midnight
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    My two are 15 and 18 when they were younger maybe 10 or so they were in bed for 9 and lights out at half past, they got so used to this routine that even now at the ages they are they still go up around the same time, though I dont go in to turn oldest ones light out at 9.30 anymore :D
    That said they both still have paper rounds with early morning starts so and luckily for me they both tend to get off to sleep by about 9.30- 10pm.
    apart from the weekends when oldest usually goes out and rolls in usually when I am already asleep.
  • Options
    stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    My 13 year old goes to bed whenever she wants, I haven't felt the need to enforce a bedtime for a couple of years. The main reason for this is because she voluntarily takes herself to bed by 9:00 practically every night anyway. I don't see the point in having a rule for the sake of it.

I take my 6 year old up at 7:30 and then we have a story etc. He is not a great sleeper and doesn't need a lot, although he does generally sleep until at least 5:30am these days. He used to wake up before 4:00am every morning until he was 4 :eek:
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    clocks forward an hour was quite effective in our house although bedtime wasn`t rigid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    My 3 year is off up the wooden hills to bedfordshire at about 6.15pm , by the time shes had a bath, got her jim jams on, been read some stories then its about 7.00-7.30 when shes out for the count. She has a busy day & needs her sleep as she's up at 7 in the morning & on the bus to nursery at 8am.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    5 and 7 and we try to get them to bed for 7.30pm, but they're more and more frequently still awake in bed at 9pm - very worrying!
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I feel a bit old here....but in the 1970's when I was but a lad - 12 years old and upwards, I used to go to bed at 9pm....but I had the LUXURY of a TV in my bedroom! So in effect, I didn't go to sleep until around midnight! Or whenever the national anthem was playing!
    If I fell asleep beforehand, that annoying BLEEEEEEP would wake me up to turn it off.:o:sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phillippa wrote: »
    5 and 7 and we try to get them to bed for 7.30pm, but they're more and more frequently still awake in bed at 9pm - very worrying!

I wouldn't worry. They are just growing up.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 8 year old goes between 8 and 9 pm depending on his behaviour.
    My 13 year old goes at 10pm.
    They both get a bit of time for reading or whatever before they settle down and they get let off a bit when they are not at school.

My (soon to be) 3 year old gets put in bed when he falls asleep.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I had to be in bed by nine when I was 13.

How kids today manage school and go to bed at ridiculous times is a mystery to me.