Options

Is your mattress topper too hot to sleep on these past few days?

Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
Now the nice weather seems to have arrived I was wondering please if any owners of memory foam mattress toppers are finding it difficult to sleep?

I recently purchased one after much research only to find that since the evenings have been warmer i'm roasting hot in bed. :cry:

Does anyone have a particular make that doesnt cause this for them?

Mine is here

Comments

• Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes , I find in the warmer weather it gets too hot ,So I bought a big huge towel ,a bath sheet and I put it over the topper under the bed sheet and it seems to absorb the awful heat .I have heard others say they use a duvet under the sheet too .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope!! I am the type of person to be snuggled in my thick winter duvet all summer long! Luckily my husband is the opposite so for half the year we dont fight over the duvet :)

Being covered by the duvet stops the bogeymen from getting you:o:o

We were advised when we got our memory foam mattress that you can sweat more due to what its made from.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    The trouble with memory foam toppers is that they lay on top of the existing quilting in your mattress. This makes it difficult for the heat to escape from the memory foam topper.

In a sprung mattress that has the memory foam layer built in, all they have under the memory foam is the insulator pad,which is there to protect the memory foam from the springs, and to stop you feeling the springs. So air can circulate through the spring layer to dissipate the heat. With mattresses that are reflex foam with memory foam on top, the reflex foam layer insulates, and makes the heat even worse.

The memory foam layer (or topper) should only be 2" to 2.5" deep (2" if you are sensitive to heat). If the memory foam is too deep then you won't get any better support, but you will sink deeper into it, and become too hot.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We looked into this before we got ours and reviews generally said the foam ones get too hot in warm weather ... so we went for a goose feather topper and are still loving it even though it's warmer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is it common concensus then that memory foam is to be avoided at all costs during the warmer months of the year?

I'm a tad gutted by that as from what i've heard the comfort benefits are huge with these things.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a mattress topped and it did get very warm. But i got used to it. We used it for 3 years in the end.

When we went back to a standard mattress, it was really chilly in bed, until we got used to it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a topper with elasticated straps? Mine should have had them but diddnt, and it slips around when i'm sleeping at night
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    So is it common concensus then that memory foam is to be avoided at all costs during the warmer months of the year?

I'm a tad gutted by that as from what i've heard the comfort benefits are huge with these things.

Not at all. I have a two sided pocket sprung and memory foam mattress that contains full size steel pocket springs, so air can circulate through the spring layer to dissipate the heat.

If you don't want the expense of changing your mattress then you could get a climate control mattress protector like Outlast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alsmama wrote: »
    We looked into this before we got ours and reviews generally said the foam ones get too hot in warm weather ... so we went for a goose feather topper and are still loving it even though it's warmer.

But goose down doesn't give support like memory foam, it just feels comfortable.
  • Options
    novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a memory foam mattress and bought a Coolmax cover for it precisely because of the 'too warm' problems reported. This is what I got:
    http://www.snugmattress.co.uk/products/spare-coolmax-mattress-zipped-machine-washable-cover-king-489-3247.aspx
    You can get other Coolmax covers but this is zipped and, in my opinion, the best! And it does help with the warmth problem.

I do, however, think that the memory foam mattresses do trap heat more than other mattresses whatever you do but you just get used to throwing the duvet/sheet off at times in the night!! It's worth it for the comfort. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    We purchased a full memory foam mattress last year. It has now been demoted to a spare room.I don't believe they give any support to your back and the heat is unbearable.
    I kept rolling over and falling out of bed.
  • Options
    percysludgepercysludge Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should of bought some strong fireguards and placed them around your bed to stop you falling out ? a bit like babys beds have but something a bit more sturdy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    You should of bought some strong fireguards and placed them around your bed to stop you falling out ? a bit like babys beds have but something a bit more sturdy.
    #

Excellent advice=not.:yawn:
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a topper with elasticated straps? Mine should have had them but diddnt, and it slips around when i'm sleeping at night

Yes you definitely need the elastic straps. I guess you could always sew some on?
    Tim Deegan wrote: »
    But goose down doesn't give support like memory foam, it just feels comfortable.
    mobelan wrote: »
    We purchased a full memory foam mattress last year. It has now been demoted to a spare room.I don't believe they give any support to your back and the heat is unbearable.

I didn't buy one for support but for comfort - not sure they are realistically made to give support. Goose feather is definitely very comfy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    novice wrote: »
    I have a memory foam mattress and bought a Coolmax cover for it precisely because of the 'too warm' problems reported. This is what I got:
    http://www.snugmattress.co.uk/products/spare-coolmax-mattress-zipped-machine-washable-cover-king-489-3247.aspx
    You can get other Coolmax covers but this is zipped and, in my opinion, the best! And it does help with the warmth problem.

I do, however, think that the memory foam mattresses do trap heat more than other mattresses whatever you do but you just get used to throwing the duvet/sheet off at times in the night!! It's worth it for the comfort. :D

Coolmax is a wicking fabric that takes the moisture away from your body, and stops you feeling too clammy. I always worry with a mattress where it takes the moisture to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alsmama wrote: »
    I didn't buy one for support but for comfort - not sure they are realistically made to give support. Goose feather is definitely very comfy :)

My point is that a goose down topper can't be a substitute for memory foam, as they have completely different properties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mobelan wrote: »

They aren't full memory foam. They are mainly reflex foam, with a layer of memory foam on top. Reflex foam is very hot, and not very supportive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    We sleep on a cotton mattress topper in the summer, which are just the job - it protects the mattress whilst keeping us nice and cool. I certainly couldn't sleep into anything that you sink into as would just get far too hot!
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    Now the nice weather seems to have arrived I was wondering please if any owners of memory foam mattress toppers are finding it difficult to sleep?

I recently purchased one after much research only to find that since the evenings have been warmer i'm roasting hot in bed. :cry:

Does anyone have a particular make that doesnt cause this for them?

Mine is here

I have that one too. At the moment its still fine for sleeping on, another month and I'll have to place something between the topper and sheet as it will be uncomfortably hot by then.
    yes , I find in the warmer weather it gets too hot ,So I bought a big huge towel ,a bath sheet and I put it over the topper under the bed sheet and it seems to absorb the awful heat .I have heard others say they use a duvet under the sheet too .

I normally place my feather duvet between the topper and sheet as I've not had anywhere to store the duvet. I now have extra storage space so I won't have to this year. Your idea of a large towel sounds like a good idea, especially as I like the support of the memory foam.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I normally place my feather duvet between the topper and sheet as I've not had anywhere to store the duvet. I now have extra storage space so I won't have to this year. Your idea of a large towel sounds like a good idea, especially as I like the support of the memory foam.

If you place anything too thick on top of the memory foam then it will prevent it from working propery. This is because the memory foam needs your body heat to react with it, and a thick layer will insulate your body heat from the memory foam. A towell should be fine though.

Mattress advice site with no external links, and that doesn't try to sell you anything: http://www.mattressadvice.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have that one too. At the moment its still fine for sleeping on, another month and I'll have to place something between the topper and sheet as it will be uncomfortably hot by then.

I bought my towel in Germany , its huge 2 metres x 1.5 m . so I put it across the bed and it reaches to nearly the end .It absorbs that awful heat and you still get the benefit of the topper . I have a pair of old braces under the mattress hoding it firmly in place so it wont curl up under us
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I bought mine in Germany , its huge 2 metres x 1.5 m . so I put it across the bed and it reaches to nearly the end .It absorbs that awful heat and you still get the benefit of the topper . I have a pair of old braces under the mattress hoding it firmly in place so it wont curl up under us

Please read my previous post. You won't get the same benefit from the topper I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please read my previous post. You won't get the same benefit from the topper I'm afraid.

Its a towel I use and find it great , still the topper benefit and less hot ,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its a towel I use and find it great , still the topper benefit and less hot ,

Oh I see. When you said you had bought it from Germany I thought you were talking about a quilt, the same as GetMeOuttaHere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I see. When you said you had bought it from Germany I thought you were talking about a quilt, the same as GetMeOuttaHere.

They have towels in Germany the same size as a single duvet , they use them instead of duvets in summer .A towel in the duvet cover is lovely and cool , I use them for that too . Cant get them here at all .