Philip Seymour Hoffman

Comments

• Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His was the voice of Max, in Mary & Max -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978762/

which, if you haven't seen it, you really should.
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's easy to say things like "he knew the risks", etc. But one thing about people in his situation, i.e. addicts who have been clean a long time and have gone through rehab, is that when they fall off the wagon and use, they sometimes use the amount that they were on when it was a regular thing. Being off the drug lowers your tolerance and that can result in an overdose.

I think one of the things to take away from this is that it doesn't matter how gifted you are, or how much money you have or how many things you have planned for the future, addiction can really kick your ass and can take everything away, in an instant. I think it's important to have as much empathy as you can muster for people who are dealing with addiction, because it can just destroy people. If you know someone who is struggling with addiction, or even someone who has conquered it, let them know that you are there for them, through thick and thin.

Anyway, here's one of my favorite scenes of his, from Charlie Wilson's War. warning: language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066BFGk6QvA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad. What I do not understand is how these actors can function when they are so addicted to drugs. How on earth can they remember their scripts and turn up on time to the studio when they are so dependant on drugs and often alcohol. Bizarre. He has three young healthy children!! Yet we are told her fought his addiction to heroin for years!!

He went to rehab in his early twenties and had been clean for 23 years, so that doesn't really apply to him. But in general, addiction involves a slide from taking something to get high to taking something to feel normal. The addict starts to take the substance more and more frequently until they're taking it every day. Once you reach that point, you have to take an even higher dose to get any kind of high, because of the tolerance your body builds up. Tolerance is what leads to functional addicts, because while the dose they're taking would leave a non-user high as a kite and unfit to work; tolerance means that they actually need the drug in order to work etc. Otherwise the withdrawal symptoms set in, which can range from very unpleasant to being lethal in the case of something like alcohol. Addiction is a much misunderstood disease.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is such a tired cliche that if you are a celeb, you fall in to a party lifestyle, do drugs and the authorities turn a blind eye because you are a celeb. None ever seem to be convicted for their criminal behaviour, even those who admit to their drug taking. They check themselves into "rehab" (glorified health spa) then the masses cheer when they emerge "clean", or cry when they tell of their inner demons with their appearances on chat shows - often to plug their latest film/book/tour. If society took a tougher stance in these idiots, then maybe this pathetic slide into drugs will not happen. Drug addicts are selfish, they do not comprehend their actions have consequences. Taking ones own life is the most selfish act of all, and in this case he has deprived his young children a father. My sympathy is to them, not to PSH - just because he was an actor does not mean he should be lauded or praised or have our sympathy. It is about time we got over this nauseating cult of celebrity. Plenty of other drug addicts who take their own lives, why no sympathy for them?
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I loved him in Boogie nights and The talented mr ripley
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Almost Famous!
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Who are we to judge someone who apparently has taken his own life. We do not know what he was going through at the time, if it was suicide then there were obviously underlining reasons for it.

R.I.P Mr Seymour-Hoffman, great actor, great man.

It could be that as he had recently relapsed, just a 'normal' dose of heroin killed him as he appeared to have been clean for 23 years.
    I hope the affected people of whom you speak are the friends and family. I really don't care about a few Hunger Games fans who will suffer the minor, trivial, insignificant little annoyance of having to put-up with a recasting.

I sincerely hope that's what you meant, as anyone who prioritises Hunger Games fans over Philip's loved ones at a time like this would have to be an utter cretin.

Indeed.
    I see the spelling police are out. Bit inappropriate

Selfish to his family taking drugs .

Yes, because everyone who has an addiction (hard drugs, presription drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling etc is 'selfish'.

Before you sound off on something, do a little research and find out what you're actually talking about. otherwise you're in danger of coming across as being (a) insensitive and (b) ignorant.
    ... I knew there'd be some idiot who would trot out the inevitable 'no sympathy' line as soon as drugs were involved. That's what I damn well abhor about today's society; that people who are probably pretty morally reprehensible in their own life suddenly take the moral high ground and brag about not having a single shred of compassion in their body like it somehow makes them a better person.

It doesn't. It makes you a horrific human being and an enormous hypocrite. :(

Quite.
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Tragic news. Like with the lovely Cory Monteith last year heroin takes the life of another greatly talented individual. That drug shows no mercy, it has few survivors, compared to most other drugs, by all accounts. Who knows what was going on in his life? Like with Cory too he'd been in rehab recently, so was trying to get help. Maybe they didn't get long enough treatment but then no doubt they'd be fighting against the addiction every day of their lives. It was hard enough to give up smoking so I can only imagine what it's like trying to quit a hard drug! RIP Mr Hoffmann. Sympathies to his family and friends.

Addiction is never 'beaten', of course, if you're an addict (of anything and that includes cigarettes - which can give you a slow death) you're always 'recovering' as addiction never goes away.
    Very sad news
    I first encountered him, where he was brilliant in the movie Twister, as Dusty

"it's the wonder of nature, baby"

Me too, actually, I shall forever remember him as Dusty.
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    Would be very interesting to find out whether the people who are saying things like ''I have no sympathy for him. He chose to take drugs knowing he could become addicted to them'' have ever drank alcohol before? I'm betting a large proportion of them have. Alcohol is also a highly addictive substance which kills an incredibly high number of people each year. Yet it's socially acceptable for people to drink.

No-one knows when they take their first sip of alcohol whether they will later on find themselves chronically addicted to it. Yet many of us take that risk anyway, essentially taking the same gamble which drugs addicts do when they take their first hit of heroin/cocaine or whichever drug it happens to be. So it's a bit hypocritical for anyone who has ever drank alcohol before, to come up with all these ignorant comments when someone dies from a drug overdose. No-one takes an addictive substance for the first time with the intention of becoming an addict. No-one CHOOSES to be an addict. It's an awful, miserable and degrading illness which hurts not only the addict but also the people around them. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, I really wouldn't.

And, if you look more deeply into addiction, you'll find that a lot of addicts had pre-existing mental health issues such as depression, and started using drugs in an attempt to numb their emotional pain. If the mental health services were more efficient, and if people were given more support to deal with their emotional issues (instead of just being pushed to one side and spending months on waiting lists to see counselors or psychologists and being given the help they deserve) then there would be far less addicts and far less people who self-medicate by abusing substances.

Instead of ignorantly placing the blame on addicts, perhaps we need to fight for improved mental health services/more understanding towards addicts and people who suffer from mental illness, and try to become a society where it's no longer seen as taboo to reach out and ask for help.

I hope if my addiction one day beats me, that the people around me don't judge me based on my addiction rather that the person who I was. I hope they understand that I fought and fought against it, even when I was so low I felt like committing suicide just to get away from all the pain of addiction and to stop my loved ones from having to suffer alongside me. I hope people would remember me as a compassionate human being who tried to make a difference, rather than as a pathetic addict who didn't deserve any respect.

''There but for the grace of God go I.''

Or 'judge not lest ye be judged'. Excellent post and just what i was going to say except that you beat me to it.
    echad wrote: »
    He went to rehab in his early twenties and had been clean for 23 years, so that doesn't really apply to him. But in general, addiction involves a slide from taking something to get high to taking something to feel normal. The addict starts to take the substance more and more frequently until they're taking it every day. Once you reach that point, you have to take an even higher dose to get any kind of high, because of the tolerance your body builds up. Tolerance is what leads to functional addicts, because while the dose they're taking would leave a non-user high as a kite and unfit to work; tolerance means that they actually need the drug in order to work etc. Otherwise the withdrawal symptoms set in, which can range from very unpleasant to being lethal in the case of something like alcohol. Addiction is a much misunderstood disease.

It certainly is. It's also badly judged by those who obviously live on pedastals and don't have any bad habits.

Such people should be very, very careful they don't have anything in their own lives that can be judged by others or that they don't fall off those high perches.

It's a tragedy that this should happen to one so talented. But unfortunately such talent often comes with its own demons (as does that of writing, painting, music etc etc). RIP to a great actor who left us far too soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Whilst I don't agree with the people saying he doesn't deserve sympathy he was an addict, it's a bit harsh to be judging them as a human being when we don't know there circumstances either. Having had personal experience with addicts part of me does understand where they are coming from not in a I'm better than that person because I wouldn't do that/but in a hurt someone did that to me way, and yes that is the selfish part of me that thinks that, I am however able to see the bigger picture and know that it's not as simple as that but that has more to do with time and distance.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could be all sensitive about this, but heroin addiction is a heavy stuff. I think there's enough information about heroin and that it is physically addictive and that you can get addicted pretty quickly. So if you do it anyway 'just for fun' then you deserve all the fun you get. Unless somebody forced it into him, he's fully responsible for it and deserves no sympathy. Just another addict who kicked the bucket.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    That photograph of one of his last public appearances, he looked so sad in his eyes, like thoroughly depressed, such a shame he wasn't able to get himself sorted out.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    thorr wrote: »
    It is such a tired cliche that if you are a celeb, you fall in to a party lifestyle, do drugs and the authorities turn a blind eye because you are a celeb. None ever seem to be convicted for their criminal behaviour, even those who admit to their drug taking. They check themselves into "rehab" (glorified health spa) then the masses cheer when they emerge "clean", or cry when they tell of their inner demons with their appearances on chat shows - often to plug their latest film/book/tour. If society took a tougher stance in these idiots, then maybe this pathetic slide into drugs will not happen. Drug addicts are selfish, they do not comprehend their actions have consequences. Taking ones own life is the most selfish act of all, and in this case he has deprived his young children a father. My sympathy is to them, not to PSH - just because he was an actor does not mean he should be lauded or praised or have our sympathy. It is about time we got over this nauseating cult of celebrity. Plenty of other drug addicts who take their own lives, why no sympathy for them?

Actually, PSH was as far from a 'celebrity' as it is possible for such a successful actor to be. Very little was known about his private life outside the immediate circle of actors/writer/directors he associated with in New York - witness the 'shock' of those commenting on here re his very long-standing addictions! He did not encourage paparazzi attention nor give interviews other than to promote and about his films and stage work. The fact is that many, including those commenting on here, have addictions - including to food, alcohol and nicotine - which are as damaging to health as 'the pathetic slide into drugs'. There is absolutely no evidence as yet PSH 'took his own life' in the sense of wilfully committing suicide as yet. Obviously taking drugs was illegal and contrary to the interests of his family, let alone himself, but given his prodigious talent, the quality of the work he maintained throughout his career and, I may add, the encouragement he gave to others in his profession which made him very well liked and admired by his cohorts it is hardly surprising that he is viewed differently to those who do nothing with their lives other than feed their appetites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Love Almost Famous!

probably my favorite all time movie.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More trolls here than Middle Earth.

Why do the unsympathetic struggle with spelling?
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really saddened by this. He seemed such a likable guy. Some of the ignorance regarding addiction in this thread is mind blowing.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Really saddened by this. He seemed such a likable guy. Some of the ignorance regarding addiction in this thread is mind blowing.
    I agree. Some people are sanctimonious beyond belief, as well as lacking empathy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, PSH was as far from a 'celebrity' as it is possible for such a successful actor to be. Very little was known about his private life outside the immediate circle of actors/writer/directors he associated with in New York - witness the 'shock' of those commenting on here re his very long-standing addictions! He did not encourage paparazzi attention nor give interviews other than to promote and about his films and stage work. The fact is that many, including those commenting on here, have addictions - including to food, alcohol and nicotine - which are as damaging to health as 'the pathetic slide into drugs'. There is absolutely no evidence as yet PSH 'took his own life' in the sense of wilfully committing suicide as yet. Obviously taking drugs was illegal and contrary to the interests of his family, let alone himself, but given his prodigious talent, the quality of the work he maintained throughout his career and, I may add, the encouragement he gave to others in his profession which made him very well liked and admired by his cohorts it is hardly surprising that he is viewed differently to those who do nothing with their lives other than feed their appetites.

Bloody well said,

but you're wasting your time trying to get a bunch of internet forum sociopaths to change their views.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oncemore wrote: »
    probably my favorite all time movie.

Definitely my favourite :)
  • Options
    scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel sorry for his family and friends.
    Love The Big Lebowski.
  • Options
    DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For your information I have minor learning difficulties and dyslexia. Is that ok with you ?

Anyway I read his selfish death won't delay the hunger games which is good. Can't wait for it
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oncemore wrote: »
    Anyway, here's one of my favorite scenes of his, from Charlie Wilson's War. warning: language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066BFGk6QvA

I'm sorry but you're both wrong! :D

The processing scene from The Master between Jaoquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman blows everything away.

Watch and be stunned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakQFZh8QpA
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    His was the voice of Max, in Mary & Max -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978762/

which, if you haven't seen it, you really should.

Hands down the saddest film I've ever seen. My heart felt like it broke at the end. I was in bits.

I didn't really know anything about PSH, my son is a big Hunger Games fan and is gutted at this death. I thought he looked much older than 46 but if he had severe drug problems, it would make sense.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For your information I have minor learning difficulties and dyslexia. Is that ok with you ?

Anyway I read his selfish death won't delay the hunger games which is good. Can't wait for it

Interesting isn't it, that some people are so concerned with whether or not a particular film gets released without delay. And they have the audacity to call Philip Seymour Hoffman selfish! Heaven forbid that this man's death should delay your enjoyment of a film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite.

It's a tragic loss....the poor guy. I had no idea he was an addict. What a tremendously talented actor and by all accounts, a nice man. RIP Phillip.