Options

How I Met Your Mother

Comments

• Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the ending was absolutely shit and they shouldn't have made the decision at the beginning to end it like that. The way it did end is pretty much them shitting on all our faces and telling us to eff off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, all that character development was undone simply because the ending was planned right from the start, so the writers effectively boxed themselves in. Ted, Barney and Robin all reverted to their Season One selves....everything that happened after that was basically thrown under the bus for the sake of "sticking to the plan".

I'm just wondering - if they had a chance to do it all again, would they have stuck with their decision? I hope the answer is "NO!"
  • Options
    SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watxhed this show from the beginning and hated the ending. So disappointed!

The show was all about ted finding his soulmate, getting married and having kids. Robin progressed to never being the kind of woman he wanted and he was not the one she wanted. I loved the mother! Great choice of actress worked so well with ted.

I get that robin and barney would divorce cos I never thought they were good for each other.

Can't believe they killed her. Someone commented that it felt lile the mother became a surrogate for teds children. It just seems like that was all she was.
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know the ending was filmed 8 years ago. Kinda makes me feel cheated knowing that no matter how well or poorly people connected or got on with the public, how well or poorly certain stories worked or didn't work, the end was always set in stone. Great if they worked well together, not great as it turned out because it was a horrible ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SarahJam wrote: »
    I've watxhed this show from the beginning and hated the ending. So disappointed!

The show was all about ted finding his soulmate, getting married and having kids. Robin progressed to never being the kind of woman he wanted and he was not the one she wanted. I loved the mother! Great choice of actress worked so well with ted.

I get that robin and barney would divorce cos I never thought they were good for each other.

Can't believe they killed her. Someone commented that it felt lile the mother became a surrogate for teds children. It just seems like that was all she was.

I agree, except for the Barney & Robin thing, in my view this was in the making from the end of Season 3. They spent quite a lot of time on it during the rest of the show, and IMO Barney was the perfect guy for her. After that legendary (Ted's words, I agree) wedding, and everything they went through to get there, the divorce felt cheap, reminiscent of Ted & Robin's break-up in Something Blue only, in my view, annoying, confusing and stupid instead (I was expecting Ted & Robin's break-up).

Yes, The Mother was fast becoming a favourite of mine. She was such a perfect soul mate for Ted, that I couldn't believe how brazenly she was disposed of in the finale.

Looks like only Marshall and Lily ended up getting their perfect ending!
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I agree, except for the Barney & Robin thing, in my view this was in the making from the end of Season 3. They spent quite a lot of time on it during the rest of the show, and IMO Barney was the perfect guy for her. After that legendary (Ted's words, I agree) wedding, and everything they went through to get there, the divorce felt cheap, reminiscent of Ted & Robin's break-up in Something Blue only, in my view, annoying, confusing and stupid instead (I was expecting Ted & Robin's break-up).

Yes, The Mother was fast becoming a favourite of mine. She was such a perfect soul mate for Ted, that I couldn't believe how brazenly she was disposed of in the finale.

Looks like only Marshall and Lily ended up getting their perfect ending!

"You know what 'legendary' means? Not real" - Robin's words :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You know what 'legendary' means? Not real" - Robin's words :p

Bah! It all makes sense now!

Still, I liked them as a couple :(>:(
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the stupidest thing about the finale, other than ripping Barney and Robin apart, is the fact they've ended the show by putting together a couple that we as viewers only know as not being right for each other. In my mind, they'll have split by 2031.

Ludicrous ending putting them together, Robin was always at her worst when with Ted, he brought out the worst and unhappiest in her, I'd have rather the story was being told either at the mother's funeral then the others showing they were still there for ted in the future, or for the story to have been told through recording and it was actually ted that was dead and then it was revealed the gang were watching with the kids or had helped ted name the tapes.

Awful ending, so bitterly disappointed. Since the whisky and laser tag bonding I've strongly been behind Robin and Barney and from episode 1 I've been strongly against Robin and Ted as a couple, so that's been a huge slap in the face! 9 years in the making.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    They undid basically everything they had built up for season after season in the space of about 43 minutes.

Big fan of the show but that finish was an absolutely horrendous decision. They completely bottled it and called it wrong. Bizarre really.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    You could tell they'd planned for Ted + Robin to get together from the beginning.

But I get the feeling that the show went a different way towards the end, with Barney + Robin, and Barney's development as a character and Ted supposedly letting her go. So, by the end it all felt a bit shoehorned in.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 11,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the majority of that. As an episode it worked, the characters felt more like themselves than they have for a while. The moment when Ted finally met the mother was oustanding, and perfectly done by Radnor & Millotti. I'm totally cool with Barney & Robin splitting - it felt natural, and that's how things go sometimes. I'm even fine with the mother dying - life isn't fair, it would be an emotional and tragic ending and serve as a good excuse for Ted to be telling the story.

But then they ruined it all with those horrendous last two minutes. The endgame of this show is Ted's wife dying and Barney/Robin splitting just so he can ask her out again? And that's the whole point of the story? I don't buy it. Awful, awful decision that may even retrospectively ruin the whole series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, I'm pretty sure the last words of the whole series were "Television, show front door security camera..."

From a show that's benefited from some pretty thought-provoking dialogue over the years, they could have ended it a bit better...
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my only complaint really, they even cut 18 minutes from this episode which I hope we get on the dvd. .

How do you do this, is there a link?
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    seiko456 wrote: »
    How do you do this, is there a link?

https://twitter.com/alydenisof/statuses/450859523628994560
    @vale_j8 the show was 18 minutes longer than it was suppose to be, hence the cuts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Hmm. Well I am disappointed, mostly because I didn't get the ending that I wanted. The writers had an ending all planned out from the start, so I guess you have to give them credit for executing that. However, their ending encountered two problems along the way:

1) The character growth over nine seasons. Ted had moved on from Robin and was ready to find the real love of his life. Ted and Robin were done as far as I was concerned. Barney also developed greatly over the nine seasons and this was basically tore up in the last episode.

2) Cristin Milioti. She was so fantastic as Tracy that I wanted to see her have a happily ever after ending with Ted. Robin really pales in significance to her.

I almost thought they were trolling us when they said she was sick at the end, and that she would pop up behind Ted at the very end saying 'are you still going on to the kids' or something like that. I can accept her dying (bad things do happen to good people, after all) but not Ted and Robin ending up together. If they had to have her die, personally I would have had a funeral scene where the gang gets back together ('the big moments aren't always the best moments') and have Robin and Barney get back together there. That would have been a more satisfying 'twist' ending for me.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I thought the ending of Dexter was bad.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripes85 wrote: »
    Hmm. Well I am disappointed, mostly because I didn't get the ending that I wanted. The writers had an ending all planned out from the start, so I guess you have to give them credit for executing that. However, their ending encountered two problems along the way:

1) The character growth over nine seasons. Ted had moved on from Robin and was ready to find the real love of his life. Ted and Robin were done as far as I was concerned. Barney also developed greatly over the nine seasons and this was basically tore up in the last episode.

2) Cristin Milioti. She was so fantastic as Tracy that I wanted to see her have a happily ever after ending with Ted. Robin really pales in significance to her.

I almost thought they were trolling us when they said she was sick at the end, and that she would pop up behind Ted at the very end saying 'are you still going on to the kids' or something like that. I can accept her dying (bad things do happen to good people, after all) but not Ted and Robin ending up together. If they had to have her die, personally I would have had a funeral scene where the gang gets back together ('the big moments aren't always the best moments') and have Robin and Barney get back together there. That would have been a more satisfying 'twist' ending for me.

BIB: could not agree more!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's clear that the writers abandoned all of the character ground work from the last few seasons just to shoe-horn in the original plan for the ending
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed that ending, but then again I always shipped the Robin/Ted pairing and hated the fact that Barney changed to facilitate a relationship with Robin.

I always said since I started watching HIMYM, that if this was a show about Ted's love for the mother then she would of been cast from the beginning, not towards the end of its run. There had to be a good logical reason why the writers kept on bringing back the Ted/Robin thing and this episode explained it.

Well done cast and crew. Terrific writing and performances from all :).
  • Options
    MimiMoonlightMimiMoonlight Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Well, I've just watched the finale and then read all of the comments on here and I have to say that I was really disappointed. As soon as Barney started going on hysterically about how 'great' it was that Robin was travelling so much, etc. I knew what was coming. I was kind of hoping that the big twist would be that Number 31 was Robin and despite the fact she'd been told she couldn't have children she had miraculously got pregnant!

Why did we have to go through that terrible 'Robin floating away like a balloon' scene and Ted telling Robin that he no longer loved her if they were just going to shove it all back in our faces? Not to mention the Mother's speech to Barney that led onto him creating 'The Robin', only for him to go back to how he was after the divorce.

I was so upset about Tracy dying, I had grown to really love her and her moments with Ted were so beautiful - I watched the proposal at the lighthouse again the other night and it made me cry yet again! :cry: I really wanted them to be together forever.

I'm also disappointed as yesterday was my birthday, so I was hoping this finale would be a great present - unfortunately it's going up on the same dusty shelf as the Dexter finale... :(
  • Options
    SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just why did they spend years telling us that robin and barney were supposed to be together and robin and ted were not if this was their endgame? So much time was wasted on ted 'letting robin go' in speaking 9!

I'm just going to pretend the mother never died and robin was happy she finally got her career, barney got a child he wanted and lily and Marshall were happy forever.

I'm sure they have contradicted some stuff that happened over the years and what ted has said about their future. Usually they are so good at that.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    It's clear that the writers abandoned all of the character ground work from the last few seasons just to shoe-horn in the original plan for the ending

That makes no sense at all. If that ending was planned right from the beginning then why the need to "shoe horn" it in? In fact the scenes with the kids at the end was filmed in 2006 so It must have been the plan all along.

If you look at all of the flash forwards in earlier seasons I can't think of any scene that contradicts the ending. Even the "sandwich" scene at the end of How I Met Everyone Else fits.
  • Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they spent the last couple of seasons building up for Barney and Robin's wedding, and they destroy their whole relationship in a rushed 45 minutes...Barney having a daughter came out if nowhere, and just came across as a cheap way for him to have a happier ending.

Disappointing finale, though glad the show is dead now.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    That makes no sense at all. If that ending was planned right from the beginning then why the need to "shoe horn" it in? In fact the scenes with the kids at the end was filmed in 2006 so It must have been the plan all along.

If you look at all of the flash forwards in earlier seasons I can't think of any scene that contradicts the ending. Even the "sandwich" scene at the end of How I Met Everyone Else fits.

They have said they created the ending for Victoria's character, because they had a feeling the show would be cancelled after it's first season.

One thing that doesn't fit is Ted assuring us that Robin "traveled the world, and she was never alone". Who was she with? She distanced herself from Ted and the group, and was divorced from Barney after three years, and when it was said that she would travel the world with someone, it was strongly hinted that person was Barney.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Yes it was planned all along, but with how Ted, Robin and Barney developed over the past 4-5 seasons and how their relationships developed they had to shove their ending in at the end even though it made no sense. The development of everyone says that Barney and Robin would have been great together and that Ted was completely over Robin, to revert it all was something they had to do because they filmed it at the beginning.