Options

Have you ever had rude customer service?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says have you ever had very rude customer service and if so where and did anybody like a manager resolve it or did you just not go back to the store?

Comments

• Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really customer service but I was surprised by the 2 men from PDSA who said "for f*** sake" when I ignored there "excuse me miss" a few weeks ago. I considered emailing the company to complain but thought better as I did retaliate and call them "cheeky f***ing b******s" :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Yes lots of times but never anything serious. Just little things like staff carrying on their conversations about their social lives whilst I am waiting to be served at a till and so on.

The thing that is getting on my nerves in supermarkets at the moment is when they scan my shopping whilst I am still placing it onto the conveyor belt. I will get to the bagging area and the checkout assistant will have already scanned my entire shopping and they will ask me for the money sometimes before I have even packed a single item.

To be fair they do always ask me if I want any help with my packing before they start and I always say no because I like to pack it myself. Once I have said no though there are a few of them who then seem to take it as a signal to scan all of my shopping immediately and I think well at least let me put it all or most of it on the conveyor belt first.

I have started using the self service tills now instead even though I wasn't too keen on them at first. I like the idea of scanning one item and then packing that item meaning you don't get a big pile of shopping building up in the bagging area waiting to be packed.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes. Just pop into my local co-op.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Speaking of rude customer service, you might want to check out the US Airways/ Twitter furore that's going down right now. Epic fail but funny as hell.

:D
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of rude customer service, you might want to check out the US Airways/ Twitter furore that's going down right now. Epic fail but funny as hell.

:D

Link please, I can not seem to find it :)
  • Options
    rache_rache_ Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Oh yes. Just pop into my local co-op.

Mine too! I was once refused sale on something because it had the next day's use-by date on it??
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local coop price things that are bogof normally but are nearly out of date so that they cost more for two than the bogof offer, and quite often if it is bogof they have one -_-
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. I spend a large part of each year living in Catalunya. What do you think? :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many times. They can be as rude as they like to me as long as my request is granted. :)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most customer service people were great except for one, which remains a vivid memory:

My brother wanted to exchange a jacket Mum bought him for the one in a bigger size. He was 17 and I was seven. Before we went into the shop, he made it clear that I wasn't allow to interpret for him if he couldn't understand or they him. Fine.

After realising my brother was deaf, the lady at the customer service desk looked at me. As if to check if I was deaf as well. I said nothing. She looked at the other lady, also working on desk, nearby and said, with her face turned away, "Can you take over? I don't want to deal with deaf monkeys." The other lady giggled and said, "Go on, they're harmless." The lady responded, "Cow."

She smiled patronisingly at my brother, then articulated in a fake West Country accent: "What. Can. I. Do. For. You?" The other lady bowed her head and giggled.

My brother was embarrassed. He wasn't stupid. He can tell when people make fun of him. He had experienced this bullshit all his life. She wasn't the first to try. Certainly won't be the last. So he just said, "Here's this receipt for the jacket." The lady loudly said, "What? What did you say?" The other lady, now with her back to us, burst into giggles.

The lady said with a bad Chinese accent, "I. Am. Sorry. Please. Speak. More. Clearly." The other lady turned and disappeared round a dividing wall. I could hear her laughing behind the dividing wall. She then shouted out suggestions: "Try French! No, German! Try German!" With her face straight the lady asked, in a bad German accent, "Would you like store credit or an exchange?" which prompted the other lady to shriek laughter.

It was horrible. It upset me enough to tell my brother (in sign language) what was happening. He said to the lady, "May I have a pen and paper, please?" The lady found them. He wrote, "End your comedy show now or I will file a formal complaint." He handed the note back to the lady. She read it, and had the grace to look embarrassed.

The other lady asked, behind the wall, "Have they left?" The lady replied, sounding serious this time, "No. Let's get back to work." From then, she dealt with the exchange professionally. Spoke politely, questioned politely, wrote down questions when my brother didn't understand her, fetched the jacket he wanted quickly, and thanked him politely.

When I pointed out she hadn't apologised. My brother said he didn't care because she did her job in the end. In hindsight, considering the fact he was only 17 and quite shy, I'm still impressed with his handling. I'd have lost my temper. :D

Anyway, that's my first and only bad experience in the customer service area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have encountered countless rude customer service moments, most of them in my local McDonald's just across the road. No matter how hard they try they can't seem to ever get my order right but I can't bring myself to complain to head office because I used to work with the company and I know people make mistakes. Sometimes I want to jump behind the counter and get the order together myself because some staff members seem to move at snail speeds, it's really distressing when you're starving!

Another example was my local kebab shop on Saturday night. We never usually order from there but we ordered through JustEat, a donner kebab on naan bread with mayo, 14" pizza and two trays of chips. After an hour we were starting to get hungrier and worried about this delivery. So I kept saying to my partner, I'll give it 10 more minutes. I did that 3 times and by 1hr 30mins it still had not arrived so I rang up and asked them where my order was. The man was polite and apologetic. He explained that they are two drivers down and he has lost contact with the driver supposedly delivering our order so he said he would see where he was and tell him to hurry up.

Five minutes later this man mysteriously knocks at the door looking happy but I wasn't. We'd waited nearly two hours and after shutting the door I checked the food. It was stone cold, chips were dry as a nun's arse, pizza was like wood and the donner kebab was on pitta which wasn't what I asked for anyway! I rang back straight away and couldn't contain my anger, I went ballistic down the line and this unhelpful tramp answered me back like I wasn't even a customer.

"I've just waited nearly two hours for my order to get here and it's stone cold. It's freezing. I've not having this mate. What are you playing at? I want fresh food. I paid £10 for this. Are you taking the piss?"

"What?"

"Are you not listening mate? My foods ****ing freezing. I've waited 2 hours for your guy to deliver my order and it's stone cold."

"So. What do you want me to do about it? Warm it up in the microwave?"

"Are you ****ing stupid? I've just paid you money, you cook the food, not me. Stop being a ****ing clever bastard. I want some fresh food right now. I've paid £10 for this."

"Right..." *drops phone and speaks a different language* *picks phone back up*

"If you want more food you'll have to wait 45 minutes."

"Are you having a laugh mate?"

"No you'll have to wait 45 minutes we're two drivers down what do you want me to do?"

"You're ****ing useless. I live 5 minutes from your shop and it's going to take you another 45 minutes? I've already waited nearly 2 hours. It's bollocks this, I want fresh food now. I'm not waiting longer than 15 minutes. Why don't just walk round with the food cause your drivers are obviously stupid?"

"Right, I'll see what I can do"

*He put the phone down*

Terrible customer service but they finally delivered fresh food 15 minutes later. I'm never ordering from there ever again. Bunch of idiots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Most customer service people were great except for one, which remains a vivid memory:

My brother wanted to exchange a jacket Mum bought him for the one in a bigger size. He was 17 and I was seven. Before we went into the shop, he made it clear that I wasn't allow to interpret for him if he couldn't understand or they him. Fine.

After realising my brother was deaf, the lady at the customer service desk looked at me. As if to check if I was deaf as well. I said nothing. She looked at the other lady, also working on desk, nearby and said, with her face turned away, "Can you take over? I don't want to deal with deaf monkeys." The other lady giggled and said, "Go on, they're harmless." The lady responded, "Cow."

She smiled patronisingly at my brother, then articulated in a fake West Country accent: "What. Can. I. Do. For. You?" The other lady bowed her head and giggled.

My brother was embarrassed. He wasn't stupid. He can tell when people make fun of him. He had experienced this bullshit all his life. She wasn't the first to try. Certainly won't be the last. So he just said, "Here's this receipt for the jacket." The lady loudly said, "What? What did you say?" The other lady, now with her back to us, burst into giggles.

The lady said with a bad Chinese accent, "I. Am. Sorry. Please. Speak. More. Clearly." The other lady turned and disappeared round a dividing wall. I could hear her laughing behind the dividing wall. She then shouted out suggestions: "Try French! No, German! Try German!" With her face straight the lady asked, in a bad German accent, "Would you like store credit or an exchange?" which prompted the other lady to shriek laughter.

It was horrible. It upset me enough to tell my brother (in sign language) what was happening. He said to the lady, "May I have a pen and paper, please?" The lady found them. He wrote, "End your comedy show now or I will file a formal complaint." He handed the note back to the lady. She read it, and had the grace to look embarrassed.

The other lady asked, behind the wall, "Have they left?" The lady replied, sounding serious this time, "No. Let's get back to work." From then, she dealt with the exchange professionally. Spoke politely, questioned politely, wrote down questions when my brother didn't understand her, fetched the jacket he wanted quickly, and thanked him politely.

When I pointed out she hadn't apologised. My brother said he didn't care because she did her job in the end. In hindsight, considering the fact he was only 17 and quite shy, I'm still impressed with his handling. I'd have lost my temper. :D

Anyway, that's my first and only bad experience in the customer service area.
    That's a heartbreaking story! I'm surprised your brother kept his cool and didn't want to get her sacked! He must have a lot of patience. Respect to your brother.

It pains me to think people can so easily take the piss out of people like that. Your brother did nothing wrong to them. All he wanted was help.

My son is visually impaired and things like this make me think about his future. Somebody is obviously going to take the piss out of him at some point in his life but if I catch anybody doing it they'll get a ****ing slap! People who take the piss out of others with a challenge are so selfish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I have encountered countless rude customer service moments, most of them in my local McDonald's just across the road. No matter how hard they try they can't seem to ever get my order right but I can't bring myself to complain to head office because I used to work with the company and I know people make mistakes. Sometimes I want to jump behind the counter and get the order together myself because some staff members seem to move at snail speeds, it's really distressing when you're starving!

Another example was my local kebab shop on Saturday night. We never usually order from there but we ordered through JustEat, a donner kebab on naan bread with mayo, 14" pizza and two trays of chips. After an hour we were starting to get hungrier and worried about this delivery. So I kept saying to my partner, I'll give it 10 more minutes. I did that 3 times and by 1hr 30mins it still had not arrived so I rang up and asked them where my order was. The man was polite and apologetic. He explained that they are two drivers down and he has lost contact with the driver supposedly delivering our order so he said he would see where he was and tell him to hurry up.

Five minutes later this man mysteriously knocks at the door looking happy but I wasn't. We'd waited nearly two hours and after shutting the door I checked the food. It was stone cold, chips were dry as a nun's arse, pizza was like wood and the donner kebab was on pitta which wasn't what I asked for anyway! I rang back straight away and couldn't contain my anger, I went ballistic down the line and this unhelpful tramp answered me back like I wasn't even a customer.

"I've just waited nearly two hours for my order to get here and it's stone cold. It's freezing. I've not having this mate. What are you playing at? I want fresh food. I paid £10 for this. Are you taking the piss?"

"What?"

"Are you not listening mate? My foods ****ing freezing. I've waited 2 hours for your guy to deliver my order and it's stone cold."

"Are you ****ing stupid? I've just paid you money, you cook the food, not me. Stop being a ****ing clever bastard. I want some fresh food right now. I've paid £10 for this."

"No you'll have to wait 45 minutes we're two drivers down what do you want me to do?"

"You're ****ing useless. I live 5 minutes from your shop and it's going to take you another 45 minutes? I've already waited nearly 2 hours. It's bollocks this, I want fresh food now. I'm not waiting longer than 15 minutes. Why don't just walk round with the food cause your drivers are obviously stupid?"

*He put the phone down*

Terrible customer service but they finally delivered fresh food 15 minutes later. I'm never ordering from there ever again. Bunch of idiots.

I'd have been afraid to eat the food when it came the second time - I would be worried that they might have done something horrible like spit in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    strung out wrote: »
    I'd have been afraid to eat the food when it came the second time - I would be worried that they might have done something horrible like spit in it.
    I was worried to be totally honest. I inspected the food to check before eating it. You never know what they could have done to it though. Food could look normal to me but they could have done something vulgar to it.

I'm still alive at the moment though. ;)
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had some terrible experiences with Virgin Media on the phone. So glad we are no longer with them.

My local Currys was so awful once it was enough to stop me going in there forever.

Had plenty of sulky shop staff in general in various stores who act like you are really putting them out by daring to expect them to do what they're paid too.

Customer service seems to have taken a nose dive in the last thirty odd years in terms of rude and disinterested workers treating customers like something unpleasant they've just scraped off their shoe, not to mention how incompetent and badly trained too many seem to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Some years ago I went into an uber-posh clothing store in London to buy a suit and was totally ignored by the five sales assistants who stood together chatting. Even after 15 minutes, when it was patently obvious that I was having difficulty deciding what I wanted, none of them came over to help. I eventually made a choice and took it to the counter, whereupon one of them came over to take the money. He looked at the price tag and said "You do know that this suit is £950 don't you? Is that going to be a problem?", to which I responded "It could be, because I'm planning to wear it with my £3500 Alexander McQueen coat and I'm worried it might look a little cheap".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was worried to be totally honest. I inspected the food to check before eating it. You never know what they could have done to it though. Food could look normal to me but they could have done something vulgar to it.

I'm still alive at the moment though. ;)

I can't send food back or complain about it as I always worry about what the staff will do to the food. I blame all these caught on camera type shows because I watched one once and I am sure a guy actually put some bread in his pants and wiped his bottom with it. He then made a sandwich for the customer and it was all because the customer complained about something. I can't remember what show it was now but it was so disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some years ago I went into an uber-posh clothing store in London to buy a suit and was totally ignored by the five sales assistants who stood together chatting. Even after 15 minutes, when it was patently obvious that I was having difficulty deciding what I wanted, none of them came over to help. I eventually made a choice and took it to the counter, whereupon one of them came over to take the money. He looked at the price tag and said "You do know that this suit is £950 don't you? Is that going to be a problem?", to which I responded "It could be, because I'm planning to wear it with my £3500 Alexander McQueen coat and I'm worried it might look a little cheap".
    And what was their reaction?
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an issue with one of the managers in Tesco Express a few weeks ago... The self-checkout had said card declined but I knew I had enough money in my account because I checked online while in the shop, when I checked online again my available balance had gone down by the amount I was trying to pay.

The manager explained to me that it was an issue with their system and it had been happening for a few weeks but that Tesco would automatically refund the money within 24 hours, he took the stuff I had been wanting to buy and gave it to another member of staff to put back in the fridges.

I questioned why they were still letting people use the checkout if they knew there was a problem, or why they at least hadn't put a "cash only" sign on it if its taking money from people's cards... The manager said that it's only 24 hours you're without your money for so it doesn't really matter.

I explained that if someone is trying to buy something essential and it's the last of their money then that 24 hours without the money and without what they needed does matter. The manager reiterated that it's only 24 hours and walked off.

I asked to speak to the other manager who was very apologetic. He immediately put a "cash only" sign on the checkout and he gave me, from his own pocket, the money to buy what I had been trying to. I paid him back a couple of days later as soon as I was able to get some cash.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"What?"

*He put the phone down*

To be honest if that was your language down the phone to them, I am not surprised they were unhelpful. Just because your irate doesn't give you the excuse to be an absolute arse.

If that's your normal attitude no wonder you get terrible customer service a lot of the time. Ever thought maybe it's you.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

"What?"

*He put the phone down*

I agree with some of the above responses.

I understand your frustration and losing your temper, but it's probably a good idea you don't order from there again, as I expect there was a 'little extra' added to your order, if you know what I mean. The general rule is never piss off somebody serving you food, which you can't see being prepared, until you have received and/or eaten it. Maybe, I'm being paranoid, but I've seen too many TV programmes, where the food has been tainted in some way and no doubt they will know all the 'tricks of the trade' to disguise it well.

I haven't got any examples of really poor customer service to report, that have stuck in my mind anyway. Even Yodel have been good (which seems to be fairly unusual, judging by many comments on DS)! The worst I can think of right now is when BT refused to replace the cartridges on a printer/scanner, I bought a long time ago for the best part of £300 (which has long be consigned to landfill), because the cartridges were only partly filled with ink (pretty mean considering the price I paid, IMO), and I lost my rag a bit on the customer services 'helpline'. I phoned them up again a bit later to apologise, but have never bought a BT product since.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my, that plane took a detour on its way to the destination :D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    strung out wrote: »

Well if you're swearing at them i wouldn't be surprised....