Options

Alex Higgins Rip (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy was a legend. Deeply flawed and with flashes of madness, but underneath a genius.

RIP.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Ronnie is a personality but the game suffocates it. Players taking ages on a shot drives him mad because he just wants to get down and play snooker. The game as it stands is far too boring. They're trying to spice it up but I'm not sure they're doing enough.

Why does the game suffocate personality? And why is it more boring now? It's not like the rules have changed since the early 80s. And how can you spice up a sport without having to change the basic rules?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Ronnie is a personality but the game suffocates it. Players taking ages on a shot drives him mad because he just wants to get down and play snooker. The game as it stands is far too boring. They're trying to spice it up but I'm not sure they're doing enough.

Ronnie is a draw and a personality but too many times for me he has given the impression of not caring about the game thats made him famous and rich.

The difference now than back when Snooker was at its peak is that most of the players treat themselves like sportsmen with diets, fitness, and sports psychology the norm rather than **** and lager- the result is an athlete more than a character.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was one of the well loved Snooker players and not many of him around anymore. The game has moved on over the years. He will be sadly missed. RIP.
  • Options
    fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I have been dreading this day coming but I knew it would be sooner rather than later after seeing him at the Crucible earlier this year.
    Yes, he wasn't perfect as some people have already said on here, but he was a truly gifted snooker player and in the all too brief period that he was at his peak he was in my opinion the best player I have ever seen.

RIP Alex.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him a few weeks ago and it was clear he was nearing the end. He was really nothing more than skin.

He's not getting a lot of support on my facebook due to his wife beating apparently, but I've seen his play and he was a great snooker player - I know nothing of his private life.

RIP
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Snooker really needs spicing up otherwise as a sport it will die. TV, sponsors and audiences are already drifting away, They need to have time limits on shots, relax the dress code (what other sport is played in a bow tie?) and do something to wake the crowd up.

I could probably still name the top 20 players from the early 80s. I'm not sure I know more than a handful now. Without looking it up, I don't know who the current world champion is.

Power Snooker (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8846419.stm and http://www.powersnooker.com/) looks like it will be an interesting experiment. It could do for snooker what Twenty20 did for cricket.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Even Hurricanes blow out eventully.
    I grew up watching Alex on the telly.He was awesome to watch.RIP Alex.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a shame

R.I.P Alex :(
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundburst wrote: »
    I saw him a few weeks ago and it was clear he was nearing the end. He was really nothing more than skin.

He's not getting a lot of support on my facebook due to his wife beating apparently, but I've seen his play and he was a great snooker player - I know nothing of his private life.

RIP

Yes he looked extremely wasted & dreadful in his final public appearances. Terminal cancer is horrible :( At least he's at peace now.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this very sad news. For me he was the best snooker player ever. It didn't matter where or what I was doing years and years ago when I was young I would always make sure that I was about to watch Alex on the tele. He was a joy to watch. He was quick exciting and a real character.
    RIP Alex. xxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sad night for me. I loved watching Alex when he was playing. He will go down in history as one of the best most exciting snooker players of all time. Just watched the clip on the BBC news website where he did one of his snooker tricks with Jimmy White lying across the table. RiP.:(
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Just heard Steve Davis on the radio.Saying he was one of the very few players, who you could tell was happy or dissapointed- with every shot he played.'You could see everything on his face'.
    I always remember seeing him winning the World Championship many moons ago.Seeing his wife and kid come down to the table and him crying.He was the John McEnroe of the snooker world.Bringing emotion to the game.Surely a lasting legacy.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :( Just heard Steve Davis on the radio.Saying he was one of the very few players, who you could tell was happy or dissapointed- with every shot he played.'You could see everything on his face'.
    I always remember seeing him winning the World Championship many moons ago.Seeing his wife and kid come down to the table and him crying.He was the John McEnroe of the snooker world.Bringing emotion to the game.Surely a lasting legacy.
    I don't recall McEnroe headbutting the umpire or threatening an opposing player buy using his gangland contacts.
    I pay my respects to the passing of one of the most naturally gifted snooker players ever but resist calling him a loveable figure.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »

One of the first sporting moments I remember, and one of the finest I ever will.

RIP
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very flamboyant player,probably the most exciting one ever to watch.Famed for his clashes with authority too.

Not sure he was the nicest of people away from the snooker hall though going by the stories we heard over the years.
  • Options
    goldenhatgoldenhat Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    RIP Alex, I saw him v Jimmy White, it was over pretty quickly.

He made snooker popular for younger people
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,702
    Forum Member
    Sad news, Rest Alex, peace at last. :(

A flawed genius. On the snooker table he had the most natural talent, it was so easy for him to play the game, and to entertain at the same time, every time.

Just before the World Championships this year he had an engagement at a Snooker Legends tournament, but was expected not to be there as he was severely ill in hospital. He discharged himself from hospital and played at the event, he looked so so ill, but had to admire him for his pure dedication.

We remember his World Championship win in 1982 because we shared in his pure joy at winning. He was great for the game, but had his finger on the self destruct button during his life, and he just kept pressing it. A sad end, alone in his flat, but strangely enough from what I have read about him I imagine that is just how he wanted it though, no big hurrah but to ebb away.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never saw him play, (being only born in 1984), but from clips, he seemed to be a tad handy on the velvet cushion.

A great from a by gone era has left the sport, that is sad indeed.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is sad news.

Alex didn't change the game - colour TV did.

He wasn't the greatest snooker player ever - even at his peak.

He wasn't the "George Best" of snooker - Ronnie O' Sullivan is closer to deserving that nickname.

He could be an ars****e on the table and a c**t off it.

And yet he was easily my favourite snooker player and one of the most watchable sportsmen I've ever seen. When Alex played he looked so hungry to win he wanted to eat the balls. He always gave 100% and even when he was playing crap or being narky with other players there was always the chance of a flash of pure genius that made you love him again. And there was this.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alex+higgins+69&aq=5

I consider myself lucky to have seen it live.

For many people the greatest snooker match ever is the Davis V Taylor final and fair enough if that's your poison. For me the first Davis V Higgins UK final was snooker at it's best.

RIP Alex. Thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP wee man! you'll never be equalled on the table.

Unlike todays clowns who take forever to fire off a shot, Alex shot them home, didn't waste time and still hit the target. Thank you Alex - true legend of the sport. Gone but not forgotten!
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    The guy put bums on seats. The likes of Davis would nearly always get the better of him due to the playing styles but when he was in the mood, few could touch him.

Highlight was winning the 82' World Championship but the game that stands out was the semi final against Jimmy White from the same year. It had everything. White was on the brink of winning but Higgins played some outrageous shots to deny him. The snooker equivalent of Brazil v Italy from the same year in terms of entertainment and drama.

It was sad to see his decline and all the other stuff that went on. He was a maverick which didn't always endear him at times but a player I could always watch.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's often the case in sport that genius goes hand in hand with self destruction. Those who have to work hard fro their success tend to be more disciplined. It's those who are great without really trying who have the problems.

not just in sport:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    He was the most entertaining snooker player I ever saw and he alone got me interested in the sport.
    There are very few sportsmen who deserve the title "legend" but he was certainly one. RIP
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    grogdog wrote: »
    have a look at this and tell me who could do it now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df9T5p-aHoY

He was bloody hopless!!

Only joking of course but for every amazing shot there was a hellish positional shot behind it. I played pool last night and that positional play was about my standard.

That was a truely amazing break because he pulled out shot after shot.

A genuinely sad loss IMO.