Memory Foam Mattress Are They Really Better For You?

passionfruit69passionfruit69 Posts: 684
Forum Member
✭✭
Everynight I would wake up 2-5 times with a bad back and stiff neck, I went onto Amazon which recommendation from a friend and noticed a double memory foam mattress for £109.95 I ordered it and it arrived and it has to be the best thing I have ever bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00280QVM6/ref=oss_product

Recently my mum told me she's had her bog standard spring mattress for over 6 years!!! So I got one for her as well including memory foam pillows.

So are these mattresses really good for your back?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I bought a 3" memory foam topper for our bed several years ago, and we'd never go back to a bare mattress!!! My hips hurt all the time before I bought it.

We sleep on latex pillows, which are a fairly expensive investment (my husband calls them 'blood bags' due to their weight). They are FANTASTIC. Niether of us have had neck problems since we bought them.
  • passionfruit69passionfruit69 Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spoke to two of my friends that spent nearly £600 on a foam mattress so I thought the one on Amazon was a really good price and excellent value for money. Plus it arrived within 2 days which you can't beat against companies like Argos etc
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke to two of my friends that spent nearly £600 on a foam mattress so I thought the one on Amazon was a really good price and excellent value for money. Plus it arrived within 2 days which you can't beat against companies like Argos etc

The price depends on the depth of the memory foam, if a little does the job then cheaper is best.
  • petra12petra12 Posts: 1,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They good but just wish they were not too hot mind you come winter time i will be grateful !
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,846
    Forum Member
    A few years ago I was put up in a flashy hotel because my flight was delayed. The matress was the most comftable I've ever slep in and I've always wondered what type of mattress it was but never asked the hotel.

It wasn't very big and it wasn't a sping matress, so does that mean it was a foam one?

If it is, I would like to buy one, you don't feel like getting out of bed!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I brought a £25 memory foam mattress topper and it feels a lot better than just a normal sprung mattress.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,770
    Forum Member
    Post deleted. Wrong forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I couldn't sleep on all that foam, surely you would overheat (sadly I'm rather prone to overheating). I like my feather mattress topper - soft and comfy.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A daft question, but what are they like for resistance, when...ahem...you know....... :o;)
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    We bought this one http://www.sleepmasters.co.uk/double-memory-foam-mattresses/sensaform-ortho-select-5892.html about six months ago and would never go back to a sprung mattress. It literally moulds to your shape and there are no pressure points to give you back ache.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about 'better' for you, but I find mine really comfy. :D
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    A daft question, but what are they like for resistance, when...ahem...you know....... :o;)

It moulds to your bum and back when your lying on your back, and it moulds to your arms and knees when you're at it doggy style. Imagine doing it in a really comfy sand pit that's soft rather than abrasive. :D
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm....I prefer to have some firm resistance, rather than having to chase Mrs Flyboy around the bed. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    It moulds to your bum and back when your lying on your back, and it moulds to your arms and knees when you're at it doggy style. Imagine doing it in a really comfy sand pit that's soft rather than abrasive. :D

:D:D:D

I have a half an half mattress the top half is foam the bottom spring, it just felt more comfy than the all foam version. Haven't had a bad night since. Not got over heated with the hot nights, I do have egyptian cotton sheets don't know if this makes a difference, but they are cool.... plus when it was really hot I take a hot water bottle to bed filled with ice cold water.... perfect :D
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woops wrong thread
  • miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »

Well, they don't squeak :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Has anyone notice the ads for memory foam matresses on this thread .- talk about targetting .
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought one but forgot where I put it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, don't have a solid foam mattress on a bare floor (especially a laminate floor.

If there is no air flow under the mattress then the heat of your body will cause condensation with the cold floor and it'll get damp.

I found that out the hard way. :(
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    I bought one but forgot where I put it.

I see what you did there :D

I slept on one the other week and was amazed how comfy it was, to the point where it was very difficult getting up in the morning :)
  • cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phillippa wrote: »
    I couldn't sleep on all that foam, surely you would overheat (sadly I'm rather prone to overheating). I like my feather mattress topper - soft and comfy.

Yeah, must admit I would imagine that you would sink into a moulded shape that could very hot and sweaty, but then I've never tried one.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking to replace an old spring mattress with a memory foam one.
    I like a firm mattress though. Are foam ones really soft ?
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My memory foam mattress has got amnesia.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    My memory foam mattress has got amnesia.

Haha.
    I slept for one night on a memory foam mattress and woke up with aches and pains all over my body. My old memory foam mattress topper was much better, it did start sliding off my bed in the end, though. I threw it out last year.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memory Foam Mattress Are They Really Better For You ?

Dunno I cant remember...:o:p