Options

Radiators upstairs not heating?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,959
Forum Member
✭✭✭
thanks in advance for any answers, but my problem is that only 1 radiator upstairs works and 4 dont. when i bleed the radiators water runs clear and if i take a couple of small saucepans full of water out it starts to heat up but doesnt stay warm.

i had a plumber out beofre xmas and he put a new water pump onto boiler (3rd one in about 3 years, so i am a bit dubious as it was really needed), dont want to get him back out as he was more interested in trying to get me to change the entire system to gas at around 2.5k.

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grogdog wrote: »
    thanks in advance for any answers, but my problem is that only 1 radiator upstairs works and 4 dont. when i bleed the radiators water runs clear and if i take a couple of small saucepans full of water out it starts to heat up but doesnt stay warm.

i had a plumber out beofre xmas and he put a new water pump onto boiler (3rd one in about 3 years, so i am a bit dubious as it was really needed), dont want to get him back out as he was more interested in trying to get me to change the entire system to gas at around 2.5k.

any ideas?
    Hello,

Boiler or Combi, make and model, TRVs fitted or manual rad' valves and boiler/combi pressure gauge reading and are the rads' down stairs heating up OK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Hello,

Boiler or Combi, make and model, TRVs fitted or manual rad' valves and boiler/combi pressure gauge reading and are the rads' down stairs heating up OK?

all i can see on the boiler is TRAINCO? where would i get the pressure guage reading? Trvs were fitted on all radiators but have been removed from the ones not working upstairs by the guy who came out.

i read elsewhere to turn radiators that are working off(which i did but not at the side with the trvs) to see if that works, but it didnt and now the boiler doesnt seem to be firing at all, i can hear the pump whirring. so i have turned it all of for a while to see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all i can see on the boiler is TRAINCO? where would i get the pressure guage reading? Trvs were fitted on all radiators but have been removed from the ones not working upstairs by the guy who came out.

i read elsewhere to turn radiators that are working off(which i did but not at the side with the trvs) to see if that works, but it didnt and now the boiler doesnt seem to be firing at all, i can hear the pump whirring. so i have turned it all of for a while to see what happens.
    Is yours oil fed, floor or wall mounted?, should be a model type on or under front cover, WM 70,---Combi 110,----50/90 something like that.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Off topic I know but good to see you back Seacam!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic I know but good to see you back Seacam!
    Thank you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is yours oil fed, floor or wall mounted?, should be a model type on or under front cover, WM 70,---Combi 110,----50/90 something like that.

does Eurotrader 70 cased mean anything? it is situated outside on the ground and is an oil fed boiler.

tried to fire it up again but nothing all i can hear is the pump whirring and the reset light isnt on to try and fire it up again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is yours oil fed, floor or wall mounted?, should be a model type on or under front cover, WM 70,---Combi 110,----50/
    sorry ignore this post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does Eurotrader 70 cased mean anything? it is situated outside on the ground and is an oil fed boiler.

tried to fire it up again but nothing all i can hear is the pump whirring and the reset light isnt on to try and fire it up again.

OK, the reset is not illuminated?? there is an electric supply going to this unit?? and you have to wait 90 seconds between attempts.

The rad' problem can be sorted but have you been away from your property and come back to it and can I assume there is oil in the tank?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, the reset is not illuminated?? there is an electric supply going to this unit?? and you have to wait 90 seconds between attempts.

The rad' problem can be sorted but have you been away from your property and come back to it and can I assume there is oil in the tank?

We were away for a few days but back home last Sunday and boiler was working fine. I have turned it of outside and at the timer inside and will try it again in the morning. I presume it was just coincidence it stopping after me turning of the radiators. Yeah at least 500ltrs in tank unless we were robbed last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were away for a few days but back home last Sunday and boiler was working fine. I have turned it of outside and at the timer inside and will try it again in the morning. I presume it was just coincidence it stopping after me turning of the radiators. Yeah at least 500ltrs in tank unless we were robbed last night.
    Rads and the boiler not firing are two seperate issues.

It is possible your condensate trap is frozen or blocked or an isolation valve turned off, also check fuse if no electric supply and the system is full of water, if all OK----.

When lighting, 1st make sure any programmer is in the on position boiler stat' set to desired temperature and room stat' set for heat,---Please note, what ever your room stat' and/ or cylinder stat is set to the boiler stat' should be set slightly higher, now turn on the electric supply, the boiler should now fire.

If unit fires and remains on, your upstairs rads' are they now getting warm/hot?

If not and unit will not fire, you have burner lock out, there is a reset button on the control box, press and hold for a couple of seconds, wait 90 seconds between each attempt.

If it fails to fire after the 1st attempt as I recall on this model there is a limiting thermostat with reset button at the back of control box, press it before your second attempt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well came down this morning an set the timer on constant and went out and turned on the boiler and it started and fired up..........for about 3-4 minutes then stopped again.

looks like i need someone out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well came down this morning an set the timer on constant and went out and turned on the boiler and it started and fired up..........for about 3-4 minutes then stopped again.

looks like i need someone out.
    So long as your condensate drain isn't frozen or blocked, and you checked all the above it suggests to me a fault either with the board or the high limit thermostat.

As for the rads, assuming the system is not sludged up, IMO the last place I would have removed the TRVs, so long as they were working, would have been the bedrooms, I would be asking for those back and possibly asking as to why the pump was replaced.

Meanwhile Trainco no longer exists as a company.

Please let me have your area and/or postcode, here or PM me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So long as your condensate drain isn't frozen or blocked, and you checked all the above it suggests to me a fault either with the board or the high limit thermostat.

As for the rads, assuming the system is not sludged up, IMO the last place I would have removed the TRVs, so long as they were working, would have been the bedrooms, I would be asking for those back and possibly asking as to why the pump was replaced.

Meanwhile Trainco no longer exists as a company.

Please let me have your area and/or postcode, here or PM me.

thanks i have sent you a pm