People who don't bother replacing their windows with double glazed windows

2»

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not permitted to have secondary glazing on Listed II* house. We just wear jumpers, and have never run the heating at 20 degrees.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    Did you know glass is technically a liquid, fact fans? Your windows are very slowly flowing to the floor.

Not true. Glass is classed as an amorphous solid. It shares molecular similarities with liquids but it it is still a solid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Not true. Glass is classed as an amorphous solid. It shares molecular similarities with liquids but it it is still a solid.

Yeah, some people just don't know enough about kinetic particle theory eh?
    Forum Member
    Also a lot of people cannot afford double glazing. If you look at most council estates, you can tell the houses which have been bought, as they are the ones with either nice double glazing or single glazed windows.

For some reason the council insist on the cheapest and nastiest pvc double glazing fascias known to man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also a lot of people cannot afford double glazing. If you look at most council estates, you can tell the houses which have been bought, as they are the ones with either nice double glazing or single glazed windows.

For some reason the council insist on the cheapest and nastiest pvc double glazing fascias known to man.

You have the reason, right there.
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Yeah, some people just don't know enough about kinetic particle theory eh?

I was just trying to address a common misconception.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just trying to address a common misconception.

And nicely done sir.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    The Victorian wooden sash window is a thing of great beauty; efficiency and durability. I still have three that must have been original fittings in the 1870's. I did extensively restore them 30 years ago however. When I have had to replace others or fit new windows like when I extended the east wing (OK the kitchen :D) I have had copies made locally.
    The last two I had made are wooden double glazed and gas filled and impossible to tell from the originals unless you look real close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The Victorian wooden sash window is a thing of great beauty; efficiency and durability. I still have three that must have been original fittings in the 1870's. I did extensively restore them 30 years ago however. When I have had to replace others or fit new windows like when I extended the east wing (OK the kitchen :D) I have had copies made locally.The last two I had made are wooden double glazed and gas filled and impossible to tell from the originals unless you look real close.

I should imagine that they were not very easy on the wallet.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I should imagine that they were not very easy on the wallet.

There are some very expensive places that do these advertised on the net. I had quotes from a couple of them that where thousands more (for two windows) than my local place. Prices vary enormously.

I did not get comparative quotes for UPVC as I would not have them but I doubt what I paid was very much more.

Edit I may be kidding myself; what does a UPVC DD window about 1m x 1.5m cost plus fitting?

Edit II had a look at the price of plastic DD and yes I was kidding myself even at the lower price I got locally wooden are much more than plastic.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    Did you know glass is technically a liquid, fact fans? Your windows are very slowly flowing to the floor.

No it isn't and no it's not. So much for your 'facts'.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Government ought to go back in having a window tax.
  • CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have windows.

I use a Mac.
  • beaglemumbeaglemum Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    We live in a listed building so we cant have double glazing, we've got to have wooden.
  • SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheruman wrote: »
    I don't have windows.

I use a Mac.

Honestly, apple users won't skip any chance to have a boast. :D
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should I "bother" to replace my windows. A recent "you and yours" on Radio 4 followed a person doing a survey on a house in connection with the new proposals from HMG regarding financial assistance on energy saving home improvements. The savings predicted for installing double glazing were trivial and would take years recover the initial financial outlay. Cavity wall insulation and adequate loft insulation were far more effective.
    Yes my house does have tatty wooden windows when most other dwellings have upvc and yes I would like new windows however I have total mistrust in all tradesmen and until I can be convinced and recommended a reputable tradesman I shall continue to have tatty windows but nice holidays!
  • Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it when nearly every single other house has long since had their windows replaced with double glazed windows that there is always that one person who says that they won't bother? Cost can't be much of a factor either, as they often tend to live luxurious lifestyles! :rolleyes:

Is there anybody here whose house still has either wooden framed or metal framed single glazed windows, whilst most of the other houses on your street have double glazed windows?

We had our windows done on the council grant scheme over 22 years ago, and they've not been replaced.

They're actually in very good condition for the age, but I would consider replacing the frame/window in the kitchen as well as the front door.

It's my parents' house though and we we've been house-hunting, so we'd rather save that money to be honest and put it to better use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    zounds wrote: »
    When I saw the thread title my eyes just glazed over.

Congratulations on perhaps the most inane topic ever to grace this board!

*edit - looking down the page I see that you're a thread troll (a poor one at that), so I take back my congratulations.

Like many others I'm afraid such as...

What are you listening to right now
    Last thing you bought
    God or god
    Who's drinking?
    How do you feel right now
    Is it windy where you are/ it's snowing/ snow...or any thing else that has an idiotic question that a 5 year old would ask.
    Many of the topics are only fit for a children's forum. I suppose some get off with having the "I started a topic" to their name.
    Forum Member
    Why should I "bother" to replace my windows. A recent "you and yours" on Radio 4 followed a person doing a survey on a house in connection with the new proposals from HMG regarding financial assistance on energy saving home improvements. The savings predicted for installing double glazing were trivial and would take years recover the initial financial outlay. Cavity wall insulation and adequate loft insulation were far more effective.
    Yes my house does have tatty wooden windows when most other dwellings have upvc and yes I would like new windows however I have total mistrust in all tradesmen and until I can be convinced and recommended a reputable tradesman I shall continue to have tatty windows but nice holidays!

I listened to that also, it was something like 20 years before the house holder would have recovered the cost of upgrading and would have lost her leaded windows and outside character of her house with cladding which is the way to insulate solid brick walls.
    It's BS...in my opinion
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well upvc double glazed windows look dreadful, especially on older houses that bung them in, so some people may just want to replace like for like, single glazed with wooden frames, probably also cheaper than double glazed replacements.
    Forum Member
    A new thread...How may keys on your key ring?.....there must be help out there surely....I need a drink