Options

Metallica at Glastonbury.

Comments

• Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metallica's biggest influence was actually a band called Diamond Head.
    I think I believe James Hetfield when he stated Sabbath were their biggest infuence.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Must admit I was surprised by the lack of pyro, must have been a reason as they normally have quite a few during 'One'

Possibly a safety issue, due to the other people on stage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »
    I think I believe James Hetfield when he stated Sabbath were their biggest infuence.

Well Sabbath are the biggest influence on Metal, bar none. They invented the genre after all.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Possibly a safety issue, due to the other people on stage?

Well Rammstein will not play there then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Well Rammstein will not play there then :D

Oh, that SO needs to happen :D
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, that SO needs to happen :D

Ich Will.:cool:
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Brilliant show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »

*chortle* :D
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »
    I think

You really shouldn't start out on a task without being in possession of the appropriate tools.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »

Could you imagine them playing Pussy at Glastonbury live on the BBC.:D:D:D
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Sabbath are the biggest influence on Metal, bar none. They invented the genre after all.

Yes, Sabbath are the biggest early influence but Blue Cheer have a claim on the first metal song, their version of 'Summertime Blues' - out about a year before Sabbath had even formed.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    Could you imagine them playing Pussy at Glastonbury live on the BBC.:D:D:D

That's me-in the front row.What a view!.:D
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh yes certainly.
    Listen to Sabbath live in paris 1970....there was nothing else like that at the time.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I've been a fan of Metallica since I was 9. Great live band. Good to see them getting a chance to tick another thing off their CV list.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    I've been a fan of Metallica since I was 9. Great live band. Good to see them getting a chance to tick another thing off their CV list.

they call it a resume in America and they don't tick things of a CV, you add to it
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    they call it a resume in America and they don't tick things of a CV, you add to it

Well you know what I mean. It's another thing they can tick off as done.

A band that crossed musical genres.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metallica were terrific. I enjoyed them much more than that pretentious shite on Friday night.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    Metallica were brilliant, one of the best headliners in years

I second this! I think 'tallica and Arcade Fire have made for the best Friday and Saturday headliners for a good while. No current British band could top what either of them have done.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Metallica, showed some of the others how it should be done. So glad l taped it, so l can enjoy it over again, and a bit louder.:D
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.

Wasn't him!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2656522/Hunting-picture-slain-bear-used-animal-rights-protesters-internet-campaign-Metallica-dropped-festival-bill.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1] the comments about a lack of pyro and effects - just perhaps, they didn't need it?? Maybe when a band goes OTT with all of that, its covering up the songs....Metallica just basically plugged in and played their socks off.
    2] I do quite like Kasabian but if I was them, I would phone in sick today, they have no chance of topping the Metallica performance.
    3] Its about time Glastonbury had Rock and Metal headlining! It's a far bigger genre than many people recognise - some of the lead up coverage has been embarrassing, trying to make out that Metal fans are a rare breed. Very patronising.
    4] Despite the fact that no-one would have bought a ticket knowing Metallica would headline, the place was packed and there was plenty of noise coming back and lyrics being sung - which surely proves that more people like them than the press realised?
    5] They completely justified their status - they are the biggest of the three headliners by far. Anyone who moaned about them topping the bill needs to get a life sorted out and go and attend a festival where they can sit happily in their slippers and cardigans.
    6] Only gripe - it's 'Glaston-bree' James, not 'Glaston-berry'!!
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second this! I think 'tallica and Arcade Fire have made for the best Friday and Saturday headliners for a good while. No current British band could top what either of them have done.

Radiohead could.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member

Nothing like being pedantic.....what exactly does that add to the conversation, other than making you feel smug and superior???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Radiohead could.

Used to like them but have they done anything really good in recent years? Or did they become all arty and too clever for most people to enjoy??