Options

Natalie Cassidy: I regret making my fitness DVD... being slim just wasn't me

ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,313
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Natalie Cassidy has admitted she regretted making her best-selling fitness DVD and the stress of the constant attention regarding her yo-yoing figure left her afraid to be seen eating in public.
The formers EastEnders star who embarked on her fitness drive after leaving the show said making the video was a mistake and that being slim 'just wasn't me.'
Natalie admitted she got drawn into female celebrity culture's obsession with being thin and took laxatives in a desperate bid to try and stay trim.

Natalie said she felt so much pressure to keep the weight off that she resorted to taking laxatives pills after every big meal.
She said: 'If I had a big meal in the evening or something I would take laxatives before going to bed. Which is very dangerous and wrong.
'I'm a size 14 now. I'm fine now and I'll live and learn from my mistakes. I'm happier now'.

LINK

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for her.
    Natalie wasn't meant to be a stick insect and it didn't really suit her pretty face anyway. So it is nice to see that Natalie has returned to her natural beauty. She is a brave lady to speak out for the many of us who have done the extreme excercising and dieting just to try and fit a celebrity glossy mag image profile.

I lost 6 stone once and ended up in hospital with damage to my oesophogus from vomitting and from losing lean fat from my body. Dieting can become a dangerous obsession.

A size 14 is hardly big for goodness sake. I would be happy to get down to a size 20.
  • Options
    susan24susan24 Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble with Natalie Cassidy is that you can't believe a word she says. Not that I'm saying she is a liar, she seems to be a very mixed up person who still has a lot of issues to sort out. She was so happy being thin, now she is happy being a more normal size. She was the happiest she had ever been with her fiance, now she is very happy without him. She dumped him, but she still loves him with all her heart. She's all over the place.

What did bother me about this interview was she said she could be slim again tomorrow if she wanted - so she still hasn't come to terms with it all. A warning to people not to go down the road of yo-yo dieting and not to become obsessed about weight issues.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susan24 wrote: »
    The trouble with Natalie Cassidy is that you can't believe a word she says.

I have the same feeling about her. I don't need her to tell me now that her weight loss was a mistake, because it was obvious at the time - unless you consider all of the publicity it generated. And now all of the publicity she's getting from gaining weight and talking about how terrible it was being thin etc etc.

The unfortunate thing is that she is quickly learning that she gets much more attention for her weight loss/gain and boob job than she ever got for her acting. That might seem like a good idea in the short term, and I'm sure her agent is glad to get a cut of the DVD and interview income, but it's off-putting for people considering casting her for something.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's unfortunate that Natalie's obsession extended to taking laxatives and other drastic measures in order to keep her weight down to an unmanageable level, but at the time she was more than happy to promote her 'size 8' figure and scoop lots of money for her DVD release and diet articles, etc.

All this despite the fact she was actually misleading the public into buying her DVD, by claiming that her weight loss was solely down to exercising and healthy eating. From now on I wouldn't blame people for taking whatever she says with a pinch of salt.

There are obviously still underlying body issues she is struggling with and she'd have done herself a favour by dealing with this privately, rather than greedily jumping on the celebrity fitness bandwagon all for the sake of a quick buck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dvd probably seemed like the answer to all her prayers at the time: lose weight, make money, raise profile. However the reality was that she couldn't sustain that lifestyle, she hadn't been able to address her issues with food and being overweight. Being in the public eye the press have been more than happy to make money off the back of her success and her perceived failure having put all the weight back on again.

I hope she can genuinely get to grips with her demons otherwise this is going to be the pattern of her life and it will all be lived out in the papers/magazines. What a depressing thought:(
  • Options
    Eye SeaEye Sea Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the girl who sang 'Over the Rainbow'...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I regret ever having looked at her parrot-face. I'm happy that she has finally realised that you just can't polish a turd.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    She looks better big, I saw her up Town in Enfield and she seemed really nice and was pretty.
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Eye Sea wrote: »
    Is that the girl who sang 'Over the Rainbow'...:rolleyes:

Nope that was Eva Cassidy!
  • Options
    Eye SeaEye Sea Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    Nope that was Eva Cassidy!

Ok. Right. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Natalie Cassidy doesn't have the right bone structure to pull off being super slim. She looked awful when she lost all that weight; her body was totally out of proportion. If she's a size 14 now she should be thrilled - it's a perfectly healthy size a lot of non-celeb women would kill to be.

I can't stand celeb fitness DVDs in general though. You'd have to be very naieve to think that any of them get so slim on healthy eating and exercise alone. I roll my eyes at the whole "celeb turned fitness guru" culture and those who fall for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as she doesn't become unhealthily overweight then there's no point in trying to achieve unrealistic ideals - attempting to maintain this 'size 8' figure isn't going to miraculously solve all her problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She lied, she couldn't maintain the weight, and now she is being forced to talk about it because it's obvious she went to extreme measures to lose the weight and it wasn't just down to healthy eating and exercise as evidenced by her quick weight regain the minute she started eating normally.

She made her money, got her pics in the paper, anyone remember the very posed pics in the papers with her personal trainer and natalie on the beach on holiday - flexing and sucking in for all she was worth whilst still trying to appear as if she wasn't posing.

Have no sympathy for her, she was over-rated in EE, she lied, she made money, lots of money, raised her profile, then got caught out - now she is just trying some damage limitation.
  • Options
    lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Natalie and to be honest she looks better with weight on for some strange reason.
    I just thought she looked odd when she had that toned figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that she is going to be just another out-of-work Z-lister famed only for her yo-yoing weight problems rather than her professional work.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Is she still an actress or given up as there's more money in weight issues?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets face it she did it for the cash - and what has she done since leaving albert square? lost weight, ate all the pies and moved in with wendy richards partner....
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I wish she'd shut up. She's a failed dieter, period, and is now flogging a dead horse that no one was particularly interested in when it was alive.
  • Options
    MizzusedMizzused Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She looks better fat.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Not a fan at all but I do feel sorry for the girl and the way she's constantly persecuted by the Daily Mail. :mad: Every time she's papped out and about, the misogynistic hacks feel duty bound to publish an entire article slating her on her dress sense, her 'return to her curvaceous figure' (read 'failed diet') and other superficialities which must surely be quite hurtful. They really do seem to have a vendetta against her.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that being too slim didn't suit her at all.

I think she was really badly advised in making that DVD, too - if you know you have an issue with food/your weight then making your weight loss so public - making money from it especially - is putting an awful lot of pressure on yourself.
    The media were always going to highlight every pound gained from then on.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan at all but I do feel sorry for the girl and the way she's constantly persecuted by the Daily Mail. :mad: Every time she's papped out and about, the misogynistic hacks feel duty bound to publish an entire article slating her on her dress sense, her 'return to her curvaceous figure' (read 'failed diet') and other superficialities which must surely be quite hurtful. They really do seem to have a vendetta against her.

Oh totally agree, a coven of bile-spewing evil witches. But Natalie needs to stop talking about her weight in the media because she's just providing fuel for the coven's fire. She's calling attention to something that she must know the bitter old hags over at the DM will practically climax over.

The DM 'journalists' (a misnomer if ever there was one) don't like women, full stop. Even when they can't find anything bad to say about someone, they manage to make themselves sound begrudging and cheated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She threw herself into the firing line by making that DVD.

The tabloids are like a dog with a bone once they get hold of a story, but she chose to promote her weight loss in order to tap into the lucrative celebrity fitness market.

The fact she was resorting to laxatives and struggling to maintain her regime was always going to come to light eventually - the biggest giveaway being the fact she's put all the weight back on again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame really Natalie did really well in my opinion. But there's nothing wrong with bigger people and she has to do what makes her happy and not what everyone else wants :)
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Charlie Brooks (Janine) did the same as Natalie, only she managed to keep the weight off and looks good for it! Natalie probably saw how well Charlie's did and how her profile got bigger as a result after she left EE, only that didn't land Charlie any TV work outside of EE (hence her return)... wonder how long till Natalie comes back.