"I fear for the future of the BBC if the Conservatives win the next election" - RTD

carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
Forum Member
Yes. I know! Another BBC-related thread. But we're going to have to keep having the discussion as the Charter renewal approaches. (Plus, this is the first time in a long time I've actually started one so it's kinda my turn ;))

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-15/i-fear-for-the-future-of-the-bbc-if-the-conservatives-win-the-next-election-says-russell-t-davies
Russell T Davies says he fears for the BBC if a Conservative government wins the 2015 General Election.

The former Doctor Who showrunner claims that the Tory party has created a situation where the licence fee may never be increased and that the Corporation is now under genuine threat of extinction.

“When the Conservatives got in, practically the first visitor David Cameron had was Rupert Murdoch, practically the first thing they did was freeze the licence fee with no consultation whatsoever,” Davies told a Broadcasting Press Guild lunch today. “They attacked it immediately."

“If they win the next election they will do the same thing again. [The BBC] is under constant attack now. We are in a situation where the licence fee will never go up. I cannot imagine a rise being allowed now. And I genuinely believe in the BBC for its cultural worth. I think it is a magnificent powerhouse and I fear for it.

And he's absolutely right.

The problem is that we know the BBC won't defend itself so we need to help it out it.

Yes, it has tried a little recently - and I hope it continues - but unfortunately these "corrections" to stories (sorry... spin, twists and lies) don't get as much publicity as the stories themselves.

If anything we need an increase in the LF, not further cuts. Then we wouldn't need to threaten to make big changes a la BBC3; which I hope won't actually happen.

Yes; I know! "Subscription", "Adverts", etc. Neither of which will work for reasons already discussed ad nauseum.

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate how 'showrunner' is now being used by this country's media instead of producer.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I know! Another BBC-related thread. But we're going to have to keep having the discussion as the Charter renewal approaches. (Plus, this is the first time in a long time I've actually started one so it's kinda my turn ;))

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-15/i-fear-for-the-future-of-the-bbc-if-the-conservatives-win-the-next-election-says-russell-t-davies

The problem is that we know the BBC won't defend itself so we need to help it out it.

Yes, it has tried a little recently - and I hope it continues - but unfortunately these "corrections" to stories (sorry... spin, twists and lies) don't get as much publicity as the stories themselves.

If anything we need an increase in the LF, not further cuts. Then we wouldn't need to threaten to make big changes a la BBC3; which I hope won't actually happen.

Yes; I know! "Subscription", "Adverts", etc. Neither of which will work for reasons already discussed ad nauseum.

Totally agree.
    derek500 wrote: »
    Hate how 'showrunner' is now being used by this country's media instead of producer.

More Americanisation crap I know, but the subject of the thread is much more important.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Yes, he is right.
    And not forgetting the fact the LF was frozen and then had to fund S4C ontop of that and THEN the World Service too!
    The Tories have this hatred for anything such as the BBC and NHS, look at the state of both under this Government.
    The BBC will never be the same again under another Tory Government. Thats a sad fact
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree if people want the BBC and the NHS to survive we need to get rid of the Tories!
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Incidnetally my Labour councillor indicated to me that they also feel that freezing the licence fee when the Tories did was "the right thing to do".

Not entirely sure why this needs its own thread, anyway. High-profile left-winger who recieved a major career boost from the BBC doesn't want the Tories to form the next government and also doesn't want the BBC to need to make any further cuts, well whoop-dee-do I am astonished.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    The alternative to a tory government and frankly is something that seems much more likely is a hung parliament.

If thats the case and especially if its a tory lead government then this time we NEED the Lib Dems or whichever smaller parties hold the balance of power to VETO attacks on the BBC and this strategy of intentional strategic undermining of it.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The alternative to a tory government and frankly is something that seems much more likely is a hung parliament.

If thats the case and especially if its a tory lead government then this time we NEED the Lib Dems or whichever smaller parties hold the balance of power to VETO attacks on the BBC and this strategy of intentional strategic undermining of it.

The Greens now seem to have more support than the Lib Dems. I know people across the political spectrum from extreme left to extreme right. Grass root Lib Dems are FURIOUS at Clegg for getting into bed with the Tories; many say they will not vote for their own party whilst Clegg is in charge :o
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

popeye13 wrote: »
    Yes, he is right.
    And not forgetting the fact the LF was frozen and then had to fund S4C ontop of that and THEN the World Service too!
    The Tories have this hatred for anything such as the BBC and NHS, look at the state of both under this Government.
    The BBC will never be the same again under another Tory Government. Thats a sad fact

Carl & Popeye13, you're absolutely right, great posts! Both the BBC & NHS are national institutions and need saving. This "government" must not be voted back in!
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course a Tory / UKIP coalition or confidence-and-supply arrangement is one of the likely outcomes of the election - in which case the BBC as we know it has had it as Farage has already spoken of his desire to see 'substantial' cuts to the licence fee.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree that, should the Tories be the largest party in May, then the BBC will not last in anything like its current form - people can (quite justifiably) bemoan the proposed loss of broadcast BBC Three, but under a Tory-led administration I fully expect more BBC services to bite the dust. We would, in effect, be paying the same for much less.

Don't get me wrong, the BBC is not perfect, it still has faults, and there are still questions over its management structure and what it commissions for BBC one in particular. But there is only so much fat that can be cut before you need to eat into muscle or damage vital services that may prove fatal in the long term.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I agree if people want the BBC and the NHS to survive we need to get rid of the Tories!

Hahah you think Ed Dumb and Ed Dumber will have the money or the brains to deal with either problem?
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tory government with a big majority would take on the BBC directly, what we have with a tory government with no majority is death by a thousand cuts, which will continue if a tory government is in power after May. I also fear that channel 4 is an easier target and may well be sold.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, someone who started working for the BBC when he was 22, and who has received BBC funding for many of his TV programmes throughout his career, comes out in support of the Beeb and TVL. The surprise of the century.

The BBC still gets £3.5 billion a year. The government froze funding across the board in 2010, why should the BBC have been any different?

Does the Beeb take donations? A quick whip round amongst some of the posters on this thread would no doubt be much appreciated by the poor dears at Broadcasting House.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so for starters, who cares what he thinks?

Secondly, well, there doesn't need to be a second point because the first was so good.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Wow, someone who started working for the BBC when he was 22, and who has received BBC funding for many of his TV programmes throughout his career, comes out in support of the Beeb and TVL. The surprise of the century.

The BBC still gets £3.5 billion a year. The government froze funding across the board in 2010, why should the BBC have been any different?

Does the Beeb take donations? A quick whip round amongst some of the posters on this thread would no doubt be much appreciated by the poor dears at Broadcasting House.

I think its a bit cynical to think that the only reason he supports the BBC is because he has worked for them. Do you not have some more constructive argument about why you would disagree with what he said rather than pointing out that you don't think his view is surprising.

Its different because other cuts were made to reduce government spending and the deficit. The licence fee has nothing to do with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »

Really hatred? Is that why the NHS was one of the only ring fenced areas in the spending review? In terms of the BBC why shouldn't it face reasonable cut backs when other more necessary public services did as well?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I know we're going off-topic with this, but a showrunner is a producer and the main writer.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finlux wrote: »
    Carl & Popeye13, you're absolutely right, great posts! Both the BBC & NHS are national institutions and need saving. This "government" must not be voted back in!

Gotta love these people who think if Labour win we will suddenly all be happy and joyful, all war will end, everyone will suddenly have a fantastic quality of life and all the country will smell of roses.

Labour, Tories, Lib Dems all the same nothing will change when will people realise this instead of drooling towards May thinking how wonderful it's going to be.

Labour will have no more money to spend than Conservatives therefore the BBC is not going to suddenly be handed a huge cheque from Ed Miliband.

Here's Popeye13 talking as if Ed Miliband is Superman coming to save us all.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories have an institutionalised hatred for the BBC and NHS.

I think RTD is right. Cameron is determined to bring the BBC to its knees.

For him I think it's personal and vindictive; dating way back to the days he worked for Carlton (and look what a dreadful company that was).

If people want wall to wall American programming and huge subscription charges, (Murdoch'), then look no further than the next Tory goverment.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What RTD he is saying is highly likely to be tried, it's the Conservatives main chance.

They have laid the groundwork these last 5 years. Now the axe can fall on the BBC and on the NHS and on many other things.

It's a puzzle why anyone other than the super-rich ever vote for the Conservative party these days. That does not mean anyone should vote Labour of course!

But why vote for a Conservative party that increasingly serves only big business and the super rich?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Hahah you think Ed Dumb and Ed Dumber will have the money or the brains to deal with either problem?

I didn't specifically say Labour but a hung Parliament with labour as the largest party and having to rely on smaller parties whether that is Lib Dems, Greens or SNP but not UKIP then that would be good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    A tory government with a big majority would take on the BBC directly, what we have with a tory government with no majority is death by a thousand cuts, which will continue if a tory government is in power after May. I also fear that channel 4 is an easier target and may well be sold.

Good point about C4
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

Well two Eds are better than one. :D

I'll get my coat...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »

The government didn't give the public a choice about the BBC and its not funded though general taxation like all other public services are, the LF fee could have rose in line with inflation and so could the BBC budget quite separate to any other public service! A rise in line with inflation wouldn't have hurt
    Anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    What RTD he is saying is highly likely to be tried, it's the Conservatives main chance.

They have laid the groundwork these last 5 years. Now the axe can fall on the BBC and on the NHS and on many other things.

It's a puzzle why anyone other than the super-rich ever vote for the Conservative party these days. That does not mean anyone should vote Labour of course!

But why vote for a Conservative party that increasingly serves only big business and the super rich?

I highly agree with you