Student not come home!

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you over-reacted, definitely better safe than sorry - if my son ever stays with a family while studying abroad I hope they'd be as caring as you. Goodnight:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I am a natural born worrier, but even my husband thought it was odd and he never worries about anything!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad, I don't think you overreacted, I see they have feckless teens all over the world then :D
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    You didn't overreact. He should have told you. Glad he's OK anyway.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just started to read this thread and was looking at the times of the posts and was getting a bit worried.

OP - SO glad he's back safe and sound. GET HIS NUMBER!!! lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE

He is back !!

He told me he went for a walk but with a friend. He didnt tell me this in the first place and he never mentioned arriving with friends plus the majority of our students come alone. He was a bit perplexed with it all, I am just glad he is ok.

I have called local police to update and am now worried I over reacted. Better safe than sorry?

Now to sleep.....

Good news, now get some sleep.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Phew!

Glad he's safe. And I don't think you overreacted at all. Sleep tight. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you overreacted either... but thank god he's back and okay :)
  • AfterlifeAfterlife Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Came back to check and see if there was anything, good to hear he's back. :)
  • lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Good to hear he's safe!
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE

He is back !!

He told me he went for a walk but with a friend. He didnt tell me this in the first place and he never mentioned arriving with friends plus the majority of our students come alone. He was a bit perplexed with it all, I am just glad he is ok.

I have called local police to update and am now worried I over reacted. Better safe than sorry?

Now to sleep.....

Cloudy_nines, what a lovely person you are. I wish there were more people like you about. I could tell you were worried, and I got worried at you being worried. I imagined all sorts of things that might have befell him, then I thought, he's 18 and all 18's know it all and he went with someone somewhere and he'll show up drunk, or with some lame excuse. Glad he's ok though. Thanks for the update
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chi'ch wrote: »
    I don't think you overreacted either... but thank god he's back and okay :)

I do! The guy is 18 for f**k's sake, not a 12 year old. I'm pretty certain that if he's capable of coming over here to get an education that he's perfectly capable of going out for a walk.
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    I do! The guy is 18 for f**k's sake, not a 12 year old. I'm pretty certain that if he's capable of coming over here to get an education that he's perfectly capable of going out for a walk.

18 is a kid lol it's just they don't know it.

cloudy_nines did the right thing. Would you like to explain to his parents that you did nothing, if something awful had happened to him, in a strange country, at night wearing shorts and a tee shirt and no word till past 1am on his first night?

What would you be saying to his parents?

...well he's 18, - He is foreign, but he can speak a bit of English...18 year olds don't get into fights, get lost, get run over, or wander into the wrong part of town at night trying to find his way back...well he isn't 12.

I can see why cloudy_nines is a responsible person who has students over, and why you shouldn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    :D You're such a teddybear Azagoth
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D You're such a teddybear Azagoth

RAWR!
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So glad he came back, he probably doesn't even realise the worry he caused,

I don't think you overreacted at all cloudy. Yes, he's 18, but he's also a foreign student in a new country, new to the area, they already said they got a bit lost earlier in the day, so when he didn't come home he could've got lost and not known his way back. He should've told you he was going to see a friend, considering it was first day he arrived. Glad he's back and is safe :)
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you overreacted either OP. Ok, he may be 18 but that means nothing. He is in a foreign country and you are responsible for his care whilst he's here as he's staying with you. If God forbid it had been a different story and he had come to some harm, it doesnt bear thinking about.

If anything I'd be just a little bit peeved as you were clearly out of your mind with worry.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Considering the circumstances, I don't think the OP overreacted and it's good to see a happy ending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your messages, and glad he returned safe & sound! However, we ar3e both pretty knackered and barely got through the day as my husband got 3 hours sleep and I got 4 in the end.

I emailed the accommodation officers at the school this morning to apologise if they were woken by the police and to explain the story in full in case it was not clear - they did not reply ! How rude.

As for the poster who said he is 18 and not 12 blah blah....we are aware of that! However, the guy has never been to England before, he got lost earlier in the day, as far as we were aware he was alone and his walk went on for 5 hours in the end - that is a long walk! Anyway, would rather be safe than sorry and I dont regret calling the police.

Thanks everyone again :)

PS - I now have his number & he has since apologised, admitting he didn;t make it clear. I dont think he could believe I called the police tho!!