Is Leicester really a fitting resting place for Richard III?

Comments

• Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    York Minster would obviously be the ideal place, not only did he want to be buried there but he's always been a more popular figure in Yorkshire than anywhere else. But I imagine it was all sorted beforehand and one of the conditions of digging the place up was that if anything of actual worth was found then it would remain in Leicester, which is fair enough.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    How many ancient bones end up in museum cabinets, it doesn't really matter where they are buried, only from a commercial standpoint now.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    Now lets have a look at how much it would actually cost to visit shall we....

York :eek:

Minster

Family Pass (1 adult + up to 4 children) £9
    Family Pass (2 adults + up to 4 children) £18
    Adult £9
    Seniors or Students £8

Leicester :)

Entrance is free, but all donations are appreciated.

I don't think the good citizens of Leicester have to say much more. Feel FREE to pop in and have a look whenever you're in the area.
    The difference being that York Minster is actually worth paying for :cool:

I'm not a Yorkie btw, I'm a Geordie & our Cathedral is crap too :D
  • dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leicesters ok..my grandfather lived on jarrom street which is now a car park
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    The difference being that York Minster is actually worth paying for :cool:

I'm not a Yorkie btw, I'm a Geordie & our Cathedral is crap too :D

And who is going to spend any money going on a day trip to Leicester.:D

Also, you can sneak into York Minster some evenings, when choirs practices are going on. And anyone from the city has a York card. They get in for free.

And the fact remains, he expressed his will during his lifetime, to be buried at York.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »

Also, you can sneak into York Minster some evenings, when choirs practices are going on. And anyone from the city has a York card. They get in for free.

And the fact remains, he expressed his will during his lifetime, to be buried at York.

Well as has been said you can get a mean curry in Leicester and that is draw enough for me. The quality of a curry makes or breaks a place!
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Leicester is the city of choice for the dead, or should I say the undead. Now famous as the city unprepared for the zombie apocalypse.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »

His wishes should be respected then. I had thought Westminster would be most appropriate for a King but if he wanted to be laid to rest in York then that's what should happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leicester also had a great football team whereas york only has york city who never did anything except get to the fa cup semifinal about a million years back
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paris would be a nice spot
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leicester also had a great football team whereas york only has york city who never did anything except get to the fa cup semifinal about a million years back

They were good cricketers though, weren't they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were good cricketers though, weren't they?

At one time you had to be born in yorkshire to play for them and they took on the world..the only county dide that did that i think..it lost a bit of the shine for me when they relaxed that rule..same with the football..if an essex lads great grandmothers milkmans son was born in wrexham that qualifies him to pull on the red shirt and play at the millenium stadium
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leicesters ok..my grandfather lived on jarrom street which is now a car park
    Nothing wrong with a car park, you never know what you're going to find under a car park. :D
  • gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he should be buried in Leicester mosque so we can all demonstrate our commitment to diversity, which lets face it is the most important thing in this day and age.

I'm sure if he was alive now it's what he would have wanted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a car park, you never know what you're going to find under a car park. :D

Yes i suppose i could be of royal blood...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he should be buried in Leicester mosque so we can all demonstrate our commitment to diversity, which lets face it is the most important thing in this day and age.

I'm sure if he was alive now it's what he would have wanted.

Lol i bet he didnt know what islam was
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people in Leicester involved in the dig were clearly smart enough to have the legal paperwork prepared to their advantage. The Yorkies couldn't have been that bothered, or they would have got involved at that stage. Only now the hard work is done do they want to get in on the act. To late Yorkies, you snooze, you lose!!!
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Ooh I hope it is up to me :D

Lol. :D

I'd say Leicester gets first dibs as he was found there. Too bad if it isn't all hoity poloity enough!
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Lol. :D

I'd say Leicester gets first dibs as he was found there. Too bad if it isn't all hoity poloity enough!

That doesn't follow.

If remains are found that can be identified (and in this case the grave has been disturbed) and more to the point they have identifiable "family" graves I'm pretty sure efforts are made to inter them in the family plots.

We know where his wife is buried.

The time issue only comes into it because as he was a king, the length of time hasn't removed the knowledge of where the family is buried.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    That doesn't follow.

If remains are found that can be identified (and in this case the grave has been disturbed) and more to the point they have identifiable "family" graves I'm pretty sure efforts are made to inter them in the family plots.

We know where his wife is buried.

The time issue only comes into it because as he was a king, the length of time hasn't removed the knowledge of where the family is buried.

So it could all be up to the living relative? The Canadian furniture polish man! He may decide to take it to Canada though :eek:
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They just said on News 24 that York Minster have written to the Queen asking for Richard to be buried there. It certainly seems the most logical place - he was crowned there, and asked to be buried there, so I think it's a no-brainer.
    The chap from Leicester Uni said that it was in the terms of his licence for the dig that any remains they found would be buried in Leicester Cathedral, but hopefully he'll see sense and agree to York Minster's claim.
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was in his will that he was to be buried in York, it's fitting and the right thing to do to grant him that wish 500 years on.

I'll be honest and say that Leicester is unsuitable as it really isn't a particularly interesting and pleasant place. You'll probably get a lot of school trips to Leicester to see it and some extra people might visit but will it really draw in numbers? York is a place people would happily visit anyway. It should be there and his will should be respected.

All I can think of is someone in Leicester doing a Homer Simpson and singing 'See the angel, see the angel, see the angel...' and hoping for a decent pay day.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many memorials or tributes to Richard III are already in York? There are at least four I can think of in Leicester, dating back to the 19th century (although one is clearly wrong as it perpetuates the story of him having been thrown in the Soar).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very noticeable at the press conference that they shoe-horned the word "Leicester" into every other sentence! Seemed a bit weird. I suppose the place has low self esteem, or summat. That was certainly how it came across.

Leicester University should be proud of its history re. DNA research, and it was very fitting for them to do the investigation. But time to send him back to Yorkshire, if that was his wish. Put it this way, if a recent murder victim whose body had been desecrated, was found buried under a car park a hundred miles away from where that person had belonged, and wished to be buried - people would find it objectionable that they were buried where they were murdered, simply because that is where they were found. The passage of time makes no difference as this is someone who had expressed where they wanted to be buried.

Maybe Leicester could think of some kind of museum display, or Jorvik-style 'Dick III' destination if they are so determined to cash in on this - instead of engaging in this unseemly wrangling for pilgrims' money, which just makes them look bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol i bet he didnt know what islam was

Well he would, as some of his predecessors would have been involved in the crusades, (christians beating up muslims to try and force them to see things from 'the god of love''s POV) which is a bit like what Bush and Blair were doing, to crush the infidels - only it went on a lot longer.:D