Happy Valley - Tues 29th April BBC One

Comments

• EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    How do you set yourself on fire with a can of lager? (opening scene)

He'd poured petrol on himself, they said. The can was to show us that he was leathered, I suppose. And when he lit one of his petrol soaked cigarettes, that's when she had to extinguish him.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    All I was thinking was 'Fargo comes to Yorkshire', haha. Pemberton sure was very William H Macy-esque in his role.

Definitely!

I liked it, but groaned when I saw the very predictable cast, same old "northern matey" ensemble cast. I don't like Sarah Lancashire - I think her chin looks like somebody's a**e - but she was good in this.

The dark haired kidnapper with the chavvy gelled hairdo - I am sure he has been in Corrie before as some bad lad before???
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely!

I liked it, but groaned when I saw the very predictable cast, same old "northern matey" ensemble cast. I don't like Sarah Lancashire - I think her chin looks like somebody's a**e - but she was good in this.

The dark haired kidnapper with the chavvy gelled hairdo - I am sure he has been in Corrie before as some bad lad before???

lol :D She suffers from testicle chin.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Started well, but got silly after 20 mins. Alun Armstrong's son is a double for dad when he was a young man.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should have chosen a different name for this drama. The name doesn't suit the subject matter. The title may have put people off watching. I thought there would be more posts on here about it.

The name is supposed to be ironic. That was made clear in the pre-publicity for the series and, even if you missed that, it's pretty clear from the off.

For me, better than Prey in that there weren't very obvious similarities with a recent series on another channel. I don't know the cinematic references others have referred to so that wasn't a concern for me. What I did like was that it felt character-driven, rather than contrived, utterly ridiculous scenarios being shoe-horned into dramas that we are expected to take seriously (take a bow, ITV's Undeniable).

And given that this is a six-parter (and presumably potentially a returning series), I'd guess there must be unexpected plot twists ahead … otherwise it's going to run out steam quickly. And I'd've thought Sally Wainwright and Red Productions would not want that, especially as the pace kept up pretty well in the opening episode.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The name is supposed to be ironic. That was made clear in the pre-publicity for the series and, even if you missed that, it's pretty clear from the off.

For me, better than Prey in that there weren't very obvious similarities with a recent series on another channel. I don't know the cinematic references others have referred to so that wasn't a concern for me. What I did like was that it felt character-driven, rather than contrived, utterly ridiculous scenarios being shoe-horned into dramas that we are expected to take seriously (take a bow, ITV's Undeniable).

And given that this is a six-parter (and presumably potentially a returning series), I'd guess there must be unexpected plot twists ahead … otherwise it's going to run out steam quickly. And I'd've thought Sally Wainwright and Red Productions would not want that, especially as the pace kept up pretty well in the opening episode.

Really? I did not know that. *rollseyes*
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with anyonefortennis, the title for me is wrong, it reminds me of a Jackie Collins novel. I enjoyed it very much and looking forward to next weeks episode but the title jars with me :(
  • CosmicgirlCosmicgirl Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was happening at the end? When the police woman put the car reg in the computer? Why was she looking at it? Did she recognise the name? Think I have missed something!
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I did not know that. *rollseyes*

Well, you were the one complaining about the title … :p
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.

The acting was superb, particularly Catherine when telling the headmistress about her daughter's rape and her grandson being the son of a rapist. Whilst some plot elements seem a bit (or very) contrived, I expect the whole thing to come together. Catherine comes across well as a TV police officer from what we've seen (I'd rather watch her than inspector Lewis or Inspector Barnaby), and I'm interested in her getting to the bottom of the kidnapping and the inevitable confrontation with her daughter's rapist.

Steve Pemberton's character I had problems with at the start, but his attempts to back out of the "deal" and his horror at what he had set in motion was good viewing.
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Angst Valley" doesn't have much of a ring to it either unfortunately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. I've also seen Fargo and Alice Creed movies and was drawn to the similarities from both, but I'm willing to give Happy Valley a chance. Most important for me were the characters: I found them plausible and likeable / disagreeable where appropriate. No-one jarred as being out of place, or shoehorned in purely for effect. Although the plausibility of uncovering a caravan park owner acquaintance as a secret drug baron and then proposing a kidnap plot in the course of three minutes was something of a leap! lol

I've no problem with the title myself. Ironic and imminently memorable and reusable, assuming the production gets a second series or more.

My only concern is whether this particular story can sustain a further five hours of airtime. Time will tell. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely!

..and what's funny is that meanwhile on Channel 4 another British former sitcom actor is channelling Jerry Lundegaard - though of course this time it's more obviously a character equivalent seeing as it's an actual Fargo TV spin-off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Bob and Rita are going to share a scene. ;-) Mick and Janice too for that matter.

Doesn't Siobhan Finneran just get sexier with age? She wasn't much to look at back in the 80's but more recently... :o
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Was it filmed at Hebden Bridge? thought I recognised bits of it

a scene was filmed there, but most of it seemed to be filmed in Sowerby Bridge. The kidnap house and police station are definitely S. Bridge. Other scenes looked to be Ripponden area
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Lots of it was filmed in my neck of the woods.

Recognised Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, King Cross, Halifax, Barkisland. Though lots of it appears to have been filmed in Sowerby Bridge.

The Chinese takeaway the "rapey" guy was looking into is up Tuel Lane in Sowerby Bridge.

yes. The whole cast was outside the Waiters Arms pub opposite the Chinese waiting for the rain to stop one afternoon. I sometimes go to that takeaway! :)
  • SuburbanqueenSuburbanqueen Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    ....based on Kenya's Happy Valley - colonial times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Valley_set. Debauched, drugged and drunken lot
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A watchable enough drama, but not something I will bother to record. If there's nothing else decent on I'll watch the next one though.
    Perhaps it's because it was so 'Northern grim' and because I find Sarah Lancashire a bit meh, but, although the storyline was reasonably gripping, I really don't care enough about the characters to be completely gripped!
    Love the ironic title though :)

Now Prey was 'Northern grim' also, but Lancashire Grim as opposed to Yorkshire grim. Don't know why (I'm from the deep South...) but I prefer the Lancashire type of grim. :)

However, I did like (well dislike, but I liked his acting) the 'I need a pay rise' guy. IMO he had a more gritty character to play than he did in Whitechapel and he did it well.
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    Cosmicgirl wrote: »
    What was happening at the end? When the police woman put the car reg in the computer? Why was she looking at it? Did she recognise the name? Think I have missed something!

We're not supposed to think the name means anything to her but as she will undoubtedly follow it up, she will realise it's the man who came into the police station and drove off before her invitation to give a statement. (Sorry I can't remember the names of the characters!)
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linfran wrote: »
    We're not supposed to think the name means anything to her but as she will undoubtedly follow it up, she will realise it's the man who came into the police station and drove off before her invitation to give a statement. (Sorry I can't remember the names of the characters!)

She already knows it's him - it's his car registration number (written on the back of her hand when he drove away) that she was checking up on.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I realised the ironically named Happy Valley was written by Sally Wainwright of Last Tango fame and also starred Sarah Lancashire that’s when I decided to watch. She’s a versatile actress and it was gripping from …. 47, divorced, one child dead, the other not talking to her, living with her recovering heroin addict sister and a grandson. Everyone’s backgrounds were quickly established and with the thuggish kidnap already having taken place it has all the makings of a dark and murky drama with lots of twists and turns. Great first episode.
  • iamianiamian Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was in that area.

...and Todmorden and Sowerby Bridge. All Calder Valley locations.
    Pretty much the same fictional locations as Last Tango though some of that was filmed in deepest Lancashire.
  • iamianiamian Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »

Now Prey was 'Northern grim' also, but Lancashire Grim as opposed to Yorkshire grim. Don't know why (I'm from the deep South...) but I prefer the Lancashire type of grim. :)

In fact, some of the scenes in Prey - the moorland body find and the street scene immediately before were filmed in Saddleworth, Yorkshire.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosmicgirl wrote: »

I was wondering about that too. She looked shocked when she saw the driver's details on the computer. She obviously didn't recognise him face to face though.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    Started well, but got silly after 20 mins. Alun Armstrong's son is a double for dad when he was a young man.

I was staring at him for ages going "he's somebody's double" but I couldn't think who. I remember the first time saw Keifer Sutherland thinking someone had stuck Donald in a time machine, kind of the same thing for this guy.