Options

What do people think? will I get my passport in time?

Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi! So me and the other half sent both of our applications off at the beginning on July via Royal Mail Check and Send, and we both received a text on the 8th of July to say it had arrived. From there we have heard nothing since and it's coming up to five weeks and neither of us has had the identity interview (Both are our very first passports) Now we will be flying on September 11th and with the passport backlog crisis going on I'm starting to get really worried. It'll be very upsetting if we can't go as its our first holiday abroad for both of us and it's for my 21st birthday. So, I'm just wondering what everyone thinks the chances of me getting it back in time are? Also i am aware that they tell you to wait vefore booking a holiday, but this was a surprise for my birthday. I have also emailed them but got a generic 'Your application arrived at Peterborough office on 8th of July' Thank you for pandering to my paranoia :D

Comments

• Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you shouldn't really book anywhere until you have your passport in your hand.....

mine is up for renewal next April, so I'll be renewing it via 'check and send' in Nov/Dec...... I will not be booking my flights for June/July 2015 (for the USA)... until I have my new passport in my hand.. then I need to check to see if my ESTA is still valid. :(

I hope you get your passport in time....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early Bird wrote: »
    you shouldn't really book anywhere until you have your passport in your hand.....

mine is up for renewal next April, so I'll be renewing it via 'check and send' in Nov/Dec...... I will not be booking my flights for June/July 2015 (for the USA)... until I have my new passport in my hand.. then I need to check to see if my ESTA is still valid. :(

As I've said it was a surprise neither of us knew about. We also weren't aware of the passport backlog until the start of July.
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine had very similar situation a few weeks ago. Sent off for it in May, due to go on holiday mid July- and it was his first passport too! He got it in time, for the record.

I believe the standard wait they publicise for a 1st passport is about 6 weeks, no? So if I were you I'd wait til after that and then just keep calling them. That's why my friend did.
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'll need to apply for another ESTA if you have renewed your passport.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I sent mine off mid-July for renewal and I need it back by mid September. Hoping I'll get it back in time!
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I didnt realise that you could book flights without a passport?

I would say its cutting it fine. Someone mentioned something once that you can pay to have it done faster which tbh sounds very fishy as if they are profitting from the backlog but i would say do that if it means going on holiday.

I dont know if that would work for you though since youve not had your interview yet. Once your application has been processed you have your interview and then get your passport. I suppose of youre stuck in the backlog now you could also get stuck in it once the passport is being done after the interview,

Whoever booked the tickets? Did they know you didnt have a passport?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll need to apply for another ESTA if you have renewed your passport.
    yes, had a look at it... it has the passport number on it.... but at least I've got plenty of time to do it... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I didnt realise that you could book flights without a passport?

Whoever booked the tickets? Did they know you didnt have a passport?
    I think it's dependent upon which airline you fly with..... and your destination....
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone I am working with told me she has her interview next week, I sent the application off about 5 weeks ago and that is a renewal. It is seeming to depend simply on pot luck to be honest, I wasnt expecting her to hear for weeks and weeks.
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a feeling of déjà vu at the moment:-

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1991783
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wife sent off for her passport renewal at the start of July as due to all the scare stories in the press, I was getting paranoid that it wouldn't be processed in time for our holiday in October.

It arrived 10 days later much to my surprise and delight.

Possibly the situation is different for first time passports.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we will be flying on September 11th

...and the 13th anniversary too, hope you're not superstitious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    ...and the 13th anniversary too, hope you're not superstitious.

I am a bit worried I'll be honest, not the greatest date to have my first flight ever on, but I'm sure everything will be fine xD
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Hi! So me and the other half sent both of our applications off at the beginning on July via Royal Mail Check and Send, and we both received a text on the 8th of July to say it had arrived. From there we have heard nothing since and it's coming up to five weeks and neither of us has had the identity interview (Both are our very first passports) Now we will be flying on September 11th and with the passport backlog crisis going on I'm starting to get really worried. It'll be very upsetting if we can't go as its our first holiday abroad for both of us and it's for my 21st birthday. So, I'm just wondering what everyone thinks the chances of me getting it back in time are? Also i am aware that they tell you to wait vefore booking a holiday, but this was a surprise for my birthday. I have also emailed them but got a generic 'Your application arrived at Peterborough office on 8th of July' Thank you for pandering to my paranoia :D

Seriously. How would the average person on DS know. Why not phone up the passport office and chase it up.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you've had your interview the passport will come in a few days. Mine came the day after actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Seriously. How would the average person on DS know. Why not phone up the passport office and chase it up.
    I'm not asking if people KNOW if it will come, I'm asking for peoples experiances and general advice too keep my mind at ease, I'm a worrier and I have done, only to get a generic response.
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Once you've had your interview the passport will come in a few days. Mine came the day after actually.

Well that's good to know at least, hopefully I'll get the interview letter within the next two weeks.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I'm not asking if people KNOW if it will come, I'm asking for peoples experiances and general advice too keep my mind at ease, I'm a worrier and I have done, only to get a generic response.

Still 5 weeks to go, which IMO is plenty of time in advance to apply for a passport, so if it still doesn't come through by then, I would say you would have a very good case for claiming compensation, as 2 months is an excessive amount of time to issue a passport. And you can show that text message as proof.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Hang on. Let me just get out my crystal ball...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    For a first passport you should have sent it off months ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Sorry I never read about the surprise thing. Can't you pay 80 quid or something and they can get it sooner?
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's dependent upon which airline you fly with..... and your destination....

Maybe as I'm getting older Alzheimer's is setting in, but I've booked scores of flights on line over the years, on almost all major U.S. carriers, B.A., Qantas, Iberia, T.A.P., Aerolineas Argentinas etc., and I don't recall ever being asked if I had a valid passport.
    Maybe somewhere on the site it may have said that it is the customer's responsibility to ensure that they have the relevant visa for the country that they are going to, but I don't recall anything like, 'Do you have a passport?'
    It may be because I hold two passports, so even if one was about to expire, the other one would always be valid, so I've never had any nerve racking moments like 'will I be able to travel?'
    Incidentally I always allow 8-10 weeks to renew my French passport, it has to come from France, even though I apply, and eventually collect it from the French Consulate in Cromwell Place, South Kensington.
    It has never taken longer than 6 weeks though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Now we will be flying on September 11th

Thank you for pandering to my paranoia :D

Thank you for pandering to mine.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never understand why people go ahead and book holidays without a passport first. It's not like it hasn't been on the news.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,959
    Forum Member
    As I've said it was a surprise neither of us knew about. We also weren't aware of the passport backlog until the start of July.

The passport backlog that was all over the news in mid June you mean?
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've still got 5 weeks, so I think you'll make it. So many doom-merchants on DS!

When I renew my passport, I say chuck more momney at the problem and pay for the priority / check & send deluxe or whatever it's called nowadays. I did it last year (I think it was £80) and my passport only took two weeks. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if the process is different for first time passports though.

But keep the faith, I think you've still got enough time for it to come through. Hopefully they'll be in touch about your interview soon.