Homeland Season 4 US pace

Comments

• caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say this season has been fantastic, however I'd like to see a different problem next season that doesn't involve the middle east or Muslims!

I'd love to see something to do with Russians/Chinese or North Korea, just something different and a new threat for Carrie and the CIA to tackle
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been a pretty good series. Not as good as the first one but it's coped reasonably well with the absence of Brody which must have been a big concern for them.

I think the plot itself is quite brave too. The whole idea of Pakistan double crossing the US.. protecting the Taliban and doing all of that stuff is a very real issue that's rarely talked about.. so a lot of the themes in this series are grounded in reality... although probably exaggerated to a certain extent obviously.

Hope Quinn survives the series.
  • MrTheDMrTheD Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    I have to say this season has been fantastic, however I'd like to see a different problem next season that doesn't involve the middle east or Muslims!

I'd love to see something to do with Russians/Chinese or North Korea, just something different and a new threat for Carrie and the CIA to tackle

I think that may be the case. For all Homeland stretches credulity at times I don't see Carrie being given the oppurtunity to run a site again overseas for a while after she has been personally hooked back by the president, and it stretches credulity yet further to find a way to get Saul out with her if she did.

More likely next series we will see Carrie back on the 'homeland' working on a situation based out of headquarters and inevitably having to balance it with motherhood also.

It's a shame really as I've loved the claustrophobic nature of this series , but understand that repeating the same idea again could easily get stale, much as it started to with Brody.

Inspiration - I don't see how Ep 10 was a series ender. Don't forget Quinn/Carrie still have a small window of oppurtunity to get Haqqani. As they said he will no doubt require medical attention before he can return to hiding, so they have 5 days to extract information, find him and get him (and hopefully the asset list) before Haqqini goes back into hiding with the asset details and his newly re-acquired 5 key men.

I wouldn't be shocked if Carrie was worknig with Quinn already, and once they get going I suspect we will have 2 episodes devoid of politics and niceties, just 2 solid episodes culimating in the death of Haqqini (and sadly, I suspect, also Quinn)
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW. Just turned onto this pile of crap. The first series was kind of good, but my God the unbelievability of this show is beyond words!
    In a scene just now, a guy compromises all the lives of agents and people in a safe room by pushing a woman out of the way and handing over a laptop with top secret agents names....then a few scenes later he is still in his job, in charge of the people he endangered.

WHAT A PILE OF CROC!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was thinking about it but honestly, it's not gonna be as "interesting". Honestly, I am sick to death about the Middle East too, but when I think about this again, the Middle East / Muslims are very topical.

Maybe, there should be a different TV series focusing on Russians / Chinese, but Homeland will lose its edge if it decides to go away from the Middle East / Muslims.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrTheD wrote: »
    I think that may be the case. For all Homeland stretches credulity at times I don't see Carrie being given the oppurtunity to run a site again overseas for a while after she has been personally hooked back by the president, and it stretches credulity yet further to find a way to get Saul out with her if she did.

More likely next series we will see Carrie back on the 'homeland' working on a situation based out of headquarters and inevitably having to balance it with motherhood also.

It's a shame really as I've loved the claustrophobic nature of this series , but understand that repeating the same idea again could easily get stale, much as it started to with Brody.

Inspiration - I don't see how Ep 10 was a series ender. Don't forget Quinn/Carrie still have a small window of oppurtunity to get Haqqani. As they said he will no doubt require medical attention before he can return to hiding, so they have 5 days to extract information, find him and get him (and hopefully the asset list) before Haqqini goes back into hiding with the asset details and his newly re-acquired 5 key men.

I wouldn't be shocked if Carrie was worknig with Quinn already, and once they get going I suspect we will have 2 episodes devoid of politics and niceties, just 2 solid episodes culimating in the death of Haqqini (and sadly, I suspect, also Quinn)

Maybe series 5 will be about Carrie embracing the "dark side". Only if Quinn stays alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a pretty good series. Not as good as the first one but it's coped reasonably well with the absence of Brody which must have been a big concern for them.

I think the plot itself is quite brave too. The whole idea of Pakistan double crossing the US.. protecting the Taliban and doing all of that stuff is a very real issue that's rarely talked about.. so a lot of the themes in this series are grounded in reality... although probably exaggerated to a certain extent obviously.

Hope Quinn survives the series.

Series one and Series 4 are now my favorite. Series 2 was OK. Series 3 was really bad. I do think that series 4 is good and the series has many interesting characters (Tasneem, Khan, Madam Ambassador and her husband, even Max is rather interesting in this series). I am glad that Brody died as it has made Homeland "watchable" again.

I am also glad that I don't have to see Brody's family again (I just couldn't stand watching annoying teenagers like Dana).
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 1 of Homeland was as good as TV series get

I also enjoyed Brody being kept captive in that broken down block of flats, and his execution, dangling from the crane while Carrie looked on from afar, was quite spectacular

To the poster above me, I thought the actress who played Dana did a most excellent job as a troubled teenager
  • mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched episode 11.

WTF WAS THAT ENDING?! WHAT'S HAPPENING?

I've been sitting here for ten minutes wondering what the hell is going on. Now I have to wait another week for some answer to that plot twist.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Carrie is the "middle east" expert so dont see why Carrie would be called into a area which she is has little or no knowledge of. They would have other agents who would be more suited to that area. Unless they take her out of the CIA and put her working for a agency or company dealing in those areas and found something out.
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikkyh wrote: »
    Just watched episode 11.

WTF WAS THAT ENDING?! WHAT'S HAPPENING?

I've been sitting here for ten minutes wondering what the hell is going on. Now I have to wait another week for some answer to that plot twist.

Am confused as well.

Remember how for a long time we were wondering who the mole was in series 2 and 3.

We suspected Saul for a long time.

Now you have your answer. But someone has to tell me what happened in those 2 series. Abu Nasir was getting info and no one knew who was giving it to him.

Great ending again.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dar Adal riding about in the car in broad daylight was a bit stupid. Right from the first season when Brody didn't detonate the bomb you get the feeling the writers don't have the guts to go through with it. I'm never really that surprised when the person is talked down from the ledge for the umpteenth time. Hopefully the finale has a satisfying ending with a lot of these terrorists and rogue ISI agents dying.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good episode, but hopefully the finale is better. I didn't watch the previously bit at the beginning so was shocked to see Dar Adal, glad we know who the mole now is as that really bugged me in the earlier seasons :D

Poor Quinn though, dammit Carrie! Preview looks good for Episode 10.
  • lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beginning recap of the episode showed Dar Adal so the ending wasn't too surprising as we knew he was going to come back into it.

How many lives has Haqqani got? They're going to have to kill him off at some point, they can't keep letting him off.
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Few questions after the last episode

Did Dar Adal see Carrie
    How does Khan, who does not know Brody, know Dar Adal
    Does CIA know about Dar now, hence the question from Lockhard
    Or did the govt send Dar to Haqqani to get the list back.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovetochat wrote: »
    The beginning recap of the episode showed Dar Adal so the ending wasn't too surprising as we knew he was going to come back into it.

How many lives has Haqqani got? They're going to have to kill him off at some point, they can't keep letting him off.

I know right, they could have not shown him and anyone who hasn't watched any previous seasons could at least be expected to think well it's someone who Carrie seems to know so that'll be interesting. Something tells me he'll be the focus of season 5...
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Few questions after the last episode

Did Dar Adal see Carrie
    How does Khan, who does not know Brody, know Dar Adal
    Does CIA know about Dar now, hence the question from Lockhard
    Or did the govt send Dar to Haqqani to get the list back.

No to the first question and the other three questions are for fortune tellers only ;-)
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, plenty of tension, but ultimately it was a "holding" episode, with the only actual plot advance (unless you count the death of Carrie's father) being the Dar Adal reveal in the final frames... a good set-up for the season finale, but I'll be really disappointed if this excellent season ends without any resolutions and just segues into season 5...
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, plenty of tension, but ultimately it was a "holding" episode, with the only actual plot advance (unless you count the death of Carrie's father) being the Dar Adal reveal in the final frames... a good set-up for the season finale, but I'll be really disappointed if this excellent season ends without any resolutions and just segues into season 5...

Her father's death felt really shoe horned in. Didn't really care that he had died, although expected Carrie to break down and do something even more stupid than usual.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    o the poster above me, I thought the actress who played Dana did a most excellent job as a troubled teenager

Yes she was very good I half expected to see her looking after her half sister or maybe becoming a CIA spook herself
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her father's death felt really shoe horned in. Didn't really care that he had died, although expected Carrie to break down and do something even more stupid than usual.
    She almost did. If Quinn setting off a bomb from a remote location was a suicide mission, then shooting Haqqani from right in the middle of his supporters was sheer insanity.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    She almost did. If Quinn setting off a bomb from a remote location was a suicide mission, then shooting Haqqani from right in the middle of his supporters was sheer insanity.

That was normal for Carrie, it didn't need her father dying for her to do that, just the fact she'd slept with the lad and got him killed was enough for her to lose it then.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    WOW. Just turned onto this pile of crap. The first series was kind of good, but my God the unbelievability of this show is beyond words!
    In a scene just now, a guy compromises all the lives of agents and people in a safe room by pushing a woman out of the way and handing over a laptop with top secret agents names....then a few scenes later he is still in his job, in charge of the people he endangered.

WHAT A PILE OF CROC!

You watched the 11th episode of a series and decide it's a croc based on that? :confused: If you haven't been watching then you won't know any of the lead up to what's happened. You only mention series one, so are we to assume that you didn't watch series 2 and 3? You really can't judge a series based on one episode.

Anyway Lockhart isn't still in charge. He said on the phone that he's only there until his replaement arrives.
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Am confused as well.

Remember how for a long time we were wondering who the mole was in series 2 and 3.

We suspected Saul for a long time.

Now you have your answer. But someone has to tell me what happened in those 2 series. Abu Nasir was getting info and no one knew who was giving it to him.

Great ending again.

Do we know that he's the mole though? My thought when I saw him in the car was that he had infiltrated Haqqani's group.

Hopefully now Carrie will have Khan helping her. There's a lot to fit into one episode though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »

WHAT A PILE OF CROC!

WOW, Are you really telling me a tv show is not real?

All this time I have been watching it thinking it was reality tv much like TOWIE etc,

Who would have thought it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Carrie has said she cannot lose anyone else and thats why she has been less likely to do whats needed killing the father off brings home the fact that she has no say in what happens so might as well go down the route of doing what needs to be done
  • MrTheDMrTheD Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    The pacing of Homeland has always intrigued me and taken me by surprise. Take this series, Episode 1 was all action, then the brakes were slammed on for Episode 2, this continued throughout, leading into Episode 10, I fully expected a slow burner with the ISI occupying the embassy and a tense stand off occuring, I was incredibly surprised and impressed with the pace.

So Episode 11 was a surprising slow down and as Metal Mickey said 'holding episode'. With the end of 10 essentially being Quinn on a death mission, Carrie with 5 days to find him, I really though it was going to be 100mph from start to finish.

The told the story well and setup the finale perfectly, but due to my own pre-conceptions of the episode I was mildly disappointed that they didn't go the route I expected (although I concede...they know best) and the extra narrative added with more agents at the embassy, Carries dad and the extended scene time given to the German embassy lady did feel unnecessary.

However, as with all good episodic dramas, the hook of the ending was a great pay off.

Is Dar Adal the much speculated mole? Is he undercover? Has he been captured? I can't wait to find out!

2 final things:
    1) Great to see Max getting more screen time and involvement, hes been there since day one and deserves it
    2) I really hope this doesn't lead to Quinns downfall. We've established via the Germany embassy lady that he isn't really serious about leaving the agency, and more importantly he is a bloody brilliant character when he gets into full on spy/assassin mode, we really need him around