Tiger barbs

TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
Forum Member
Anyone keep them?

I've read conflicting reports, one saying they are a good addition to a community tank, and another that says they have a tendency to chase other fish and nip fins.

I have lemon, silvertip and Columbian tetras, platys, glass catfish and a couple of loaches in there already.

Ta muchly.

Comments

• cutes6cutes6 Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    we had some in a community tank some years ago and they constantly pestered all of the other fish, would not go near them again. Sorry I can't recall what other fish I had at the time but it was a nightmare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I've been told they are fin-nippers if you have others with flowing fins.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Nice, active fish, as already said though, they do have a tendency to nip flowing fins.
    If you have a group of them - say 6 or more - they'll chase each other, and leave the rest alone most of the time.

Nice in a community tank of various tetra, barbs, danios, corys etc - but I wouldn't keep them if I had angelfish or guppys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love tiger barbs, but wont get any for my community tank purely due to their aggression, i wont even test it to see how it goes. i was going to do a tiger barb only tank though, with tiger barbs, green tigers and albino tigers, but never got round to it. up to you if you wish to risk it but i wouldnt :)
  • TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info everyone, I think I'll look into some slightly more peaceful residents for the tank!
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    One thing is find out what the PH is of your local water supply. This will open up the possiblities of what fish you can keep.

I live in a hard water area and have found that I can easily keep Rift Valley Chiclids from Lake Malawi/Lake Tangyanika which are not only very colourful by can be kept in large mixed numbers in a community tank.

With these Chiclids you can probably be able to keep more of in a tank as they thrive in being kept in large numbers.

Altenatively with a small tank you can keep some of the small Apistogramma Chiclids with fish like Tetras as these Chiclids only grow to the same size.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have 6 tiger barbs in my 260litre for over 2 years now and never had a problem with them,they do chase each other but ive never seen them chase my angels or any other fish in the tank,they get on really well with my clown loaches and swim all together as a pack.
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my tiger barbs has started darting towards the top of the tank, as if it was trying to get out of tank.
    It only happens a couple times during the day.